• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this a good holster for OC?

Goingdef

That is exactly like my Galco for my 92fs it's meant for cc only as it has NO RETENTION and can be easily pulled, great for concealed not for open me and my shooting buddy tried it out and he was able to remove my weapon quickly from behind. for open carry look for a blackhawk serpa they have an excellent retention setting and with a little practice makes for a fast clean draw.

VII

well

That is exactly like my Galco for my 92fs it's meant for cc only as it has NO RETENTION and can be easily pulled, great for concealed not for open me and my shooting buddy tried it out and he was able to remove my weapon quickly from behind. for open carry look for a blackhawk serpa they have an excellent retention setting and with a little practice makes for a fast clean draw.

The problem I'm having is that there is absolutely no holster made for my gun. tge Serpa was my first choice but the trigger guard on ny gun doesn't agree with the 98dac . Anyone ever hear of modification to the gun for compatibility? Sucks but it is what it is ..

I was planning on getting that version of the galco with the retention strap. Would it look weird ocing with that style ?

Goingdef

The problem I'm having is that there is absolutely no holster made for my gun. tge Serpa was my first choice but the trigger guard on ny gun doesn't agree with the 98dac . Anyone ever hear of modification to the gun for compatibility? Sucks but it is what it is ..

I was planning on getting that version of the galco with the retention strap. Would it look weird ocing with that style ?

I like having mine showing every now and then they look awesome, my wife carry's hers OC even though she has a CHP it's the light tan galco fletch and the thumb break helps keep her shirt to the inside of the weapon for an unobstructed draw, I want one for my 92fs but there hard to find at a decent price and in havana brown.

tomrkba

One consideration regarding a handgun is the availability of holsters, magazine holders and parts. This is not a common gun. You may want to consider getting another gun.

However, find the holster makers list thread (available on various forums such as 1911 Forum) and call or email around. You will be surprised what they come back with. One of the bigger names in custom leather holsters called his friends when I asked about a holster for a Ruger Alaskan. Definitely call Milt Sparks.

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

Look into making your own.

Kydex is very easy to mold. I got started a few weeks back for about $60. Done a few knife sheaths and will be starting on some holsters soon.

Michigander

Go to a uniform store. Test fit Safariland holsters with rotating hoods until you find one that fits decently enough. You will likely find at least a few that work.

I have and suggest a model 6280 holster over Serpa's for many reasons, but in your case the advantages are a moot point since they don't make a Serpa for you. 6280's offer either level 2 or 3 retention. If you get the "fine tac" model, it will be made out of cheaper yet more durable polymer, and it'll cost you less in addition to lasting longer.

http://www.copsplus.com/safariland_6280-3832-131.html

kywildcat581

check out the fobus paddle holsters, nice collection there and retention is adjustable with a screwdriver :) they conceal nicely too when you want to cover up! and they are pretty comfortable

j4l

check out the fobus paddle holsters, nice collection there and retention is adjustable with a screwdriver :) they conceal nicely too when you want to cover up! and they are pretty comfortable

Bianchi and Pro Tech and Uncle Mike's all make, or have made, holster for Daewoo DP series pistols, which are the closest in size/shape to what you have. As for all kinds of funky retention-mechanisms to fumble with under duress, most of these mentioned have thumb-breaks only, from what I've seen.

Leverdude

You may want to consider getting another gun.

Okay, you're joking right?

Personally I'd seriously consider it if you cant find a holster with good retention and you want to OC. Its not uncommon to use one gun for concealed carry and another for OC. Many guns are now available in several sizes so you dont need to learn two different guns. I recently got a M&P9c I like alot. I still carry my Ruger LC9 more often but intend to get a full size M&P. At that point I'll probably use the smaller gun for CC & the big one for OC, this way the guns are identical except for the size. They also now make a M&P shield that I believe is slimmer than the 9C, I may end up with that as well. Its a rare thing for one gun, or one anything, to cover all needs.