• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nothing Like Beautiful Weather & Grumpy People

Metalhead47

I would never invite an LEO to a scene......

This.

Ditto. Guy with a gun, an attitude and whose job is to arrest someone. If you know the guys in the dept, that's different. Better to invite your lawyer if you really want to legally trump someone with dumb anti-gun arguments, eh? :)

And this. I'd be worried that doing so would get you cited for misusing 911 or something along those lines.

rapgood

Ditto. Guy with a gun, an attitude and whose job is to arrest someone. If you know the guys in the dept, that's different. Better to invite your lawyer if you really want to legally trump someone with dumb anti-gun arguments, eh? :)

I like the "invite your lawyer" part!

--R

hermannr

I'm of the opinion, concerning such interactions (if this applies) that you are very rarely going to encounter such situations, so when you see them developing, it's prudent to consider -as an option- just leaving the park and coming back later.

In your case (the OP), I'd suggest you have a pamphlet or copy of state pre-emption laws to hand out -if- you continue to go to this park and have problems.

The reason is that when we go to a park or on a pleasure outing, our purpose is to experience calm and rest and if you have to confront someone, you are allowing yourself to be diverted (or allowing them to divert you) from your purpose. I ask myself - 'am I still enjoying my excursion?' If I'm not, I need to change my approach, either 'blow it off' or (if riding my bike) ride on and ignore distractions and remain calm.

It takes some effort not to confront people who desperately NEED to be confronted. Yes, people need to be educated and those who brave these folks pave the way for the next 2A rights person or OC-er or park user in general to have a peaceful time. SO, I'm just suggesting another option be on your mind when these happen IF you find your blood pressure climbing or if you intuit police contact (and this is not what you want).

FWIW

I disagree that leaving is an option...that would be just like Rosa Parks getting up and moving to the back of the bus. No, if you are going to normalize OC you don't cave in to the busy bodies, you instruct them.

sawah

I disagree that leaving is an option...that would be just like Rosa Parks getting up and moving to the back of the bus. No, if you are going to normalize OC you don't cave in to the busy bodies, you instruct them.

OK, this speaks to my point. Leaving should always be a weighed option. It's important to choose your battles.

For someone who is out to make a badly-needed point, who is prepared, who welcomes the challenge, then it makes no sense to leave. But someone who is trying to enjoy the park and the nice day and who routinely carries a fire arm, it's an issue of SA and not becoming 'rooted to the scene' and having blinders on.

If I go to the park 100 times and never have a problem, and one crops up in the 101st time, I think I'm going to leave, or go elsewhere, then come back later and have another 100 visits go smoothly. But sometimes we get defensive and want to 'push back' when it isn't in our best interests. If that's the case, go armed with information, a recorder and time to confront, don't get 'caught' and end up paying more than it's worth at the time.

IMO

Knowledge

OK, this speaks to my point. Leaving should always be a weighed option. It's important to choose your battles.

For someone who is out to make a badly-needed point, who is prepared, who welcomes the challenge, then it makes no sense to leave. But someone who is trying to enjoy the park and the nice day and who routinely carries a fire arm, it's an issue of SA and not becoming 'rooted to the scene' and having blinders on.

If I go to the park 100 times and never have a problem, and one crops up in the 101st time, I think I'm going to leave, or go elsewhere, then come back later and have another 100 visits go smoothly. But sometimes we get defensive and want to 'push back' when it isn't in our best interests. If that's the case, go armed with information, a recorder and time to confront, don't get 'caught' and end up paying more than it's worth at the time.

IMO

I get what you're say, and I agree to a degree. But, I ain't ever gonna leave just cause someone is saying stuff or police show up. I'm just going to ignore them if their being immature or stand on my rights. I mean even bamboo, with all its strength, yields to the wind. I won't become passive over the issue, however I can recognize a battle not worth fighting. I wouldn't leave my house OCing with the mentality, "I'll just leave if confronted". Sense I am reasonably new to OC, when I leave I know where I am going, so I always double-check to make sure I can do it lawfully and know what to say if confronted. In fact I would consider it mildly irresponsible to not know what to say. Now of course I didn't perfectly present the information to the lady at the dog park, but I will get better over time, which I'm sure even the most experienced carriers went through.