• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem With Local LEO

Flanker35

Well I just found out from a friend who talked to one of our local LEO's that they have heard about me and know who I am because I have applied with both Southport and Oak Island PD.......When she stated I open carried he said that I couldnt do that and that if they catch me with a gun on my hip doing my errands at walmart or where ever I am that there will be trouble....now Im taking back by this because I did not get hired because of me open carrying because it makes me look cocky, they think im trying to be a tough guy (Im not), and they think im trying to prove something......what do you guys think would be the best course of action this situation is really getting to me. Thanks in advance guys!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Make sure that you have dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's for legal gun carry in your state. Get an attorney personal representative and appraise him of your concerns. Get and use an audio/video recorder transmitter.

Medic1210

If by course of action, you're referring to not being hired because you open carry, I can't see you having much of a case since you have no proof that played any part in the decision to not hire. Now as for the other comment regarding what will happen if they catch you, I would definitely recommend you carry a quality recorder at all times in case they make good on their threat.

chiefjason

They don't really need a reason not to hire you. FWIW, some agencies do not allow their officers to OC off duty. Others require that they wear their badge with their OC'd firearm. LE agencies are a bit odd with OC, even employees that they pay to carry a gun for their job. Go figure. Good luck though.

sawah

I'm sorry to hear that happened and if you could do it over again, I'd suggest you should have been more pro-active and contacted them and discussed your OC practice and gotten it cleared, and/or stopped OC-ing if it is prohibited by that department. It's sort of in line with 'dressing for success' when doing a job interview.

Again, it's unfair and I doubt you were trying to be a tough guy, but there it is. Glad to hear you're getting a job with a private agency and hope it works out for you.

muccione

Get a recorder and "unintentional" cross paths with the local criminals with badges. Say the local donut shop. Let them violate your rights and get paid by the town in a different way.

Some will say your fishing for trouble. But fish only bite when there hungry or your violating there territory.
Carry on...

rotorhead

It's sad, but it's a decision you'll have to make one day soon- either conform to the needs of the machine, or choose your own way. Many organizations, private and public, will discourage your decisions to exercise your rights in certain ways. You have to make the choice one way or the other based on your desires of employment. These things have to be weighed against each other at some point.

Best of luck.