• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying someone else's gun

derhammer

(copied from open carry questions forum)

Hi again! My ma wanted me to ask this, cause she wants to make sure my proposal is legal, lol...

Long story short is, I'd like to be able to defend us with a firearm when we are out, but I am only 18, and thus, cannot take a gun in a car (except from store to house and house to shop etc. of course, but that's irrelevant). As an alternative to taking a rifle and carrying it across my back (sure to draw trouble, lol), I had the thought: My ma could get an LTCF and carry it in her purse. I could wear a holster, and she could secure it for me, legally carrying it as my parent and a license holder, and upon exiting the vehicle, she could transfer it to me. The question she had is, is it legal to carry someone else's gun, and so I promised I'd ask here. Thanks!

-derhammer

hjmoosejaw

If I'm right, the gun could actually be yours legally. You can't buy a firearm until you're 21, but you can be gifted a handgun by a parent or grandparent. At 18, you can legally OC. In the car, she is simply carrying your gun. Anybody correct me if I am wrong. You can go here for more help, these guys are up on pa. gun laws. Also,check out their forum........www.PAOpenCarry.org

Last edited:

derhammer

Actually, as far as I've read, you can BUY any gun at 18, but you can't get an LTCF (and thus cannot carry concealed, or carry a pistol in a car) until 21. You can OC anything, and carry an unloaded rifle in a car at 18/without LTCF, or a pistol if it's wrapped up and secured, and being taken from the place of purchase to your home, or your home to a repair shop. So yeah, I'm pretty sure all this is legal (her carrying for me). Otherwise how would 18 year-olds practice their pistol at the range?

-derhammer

Crestwood1001

Was wondering the same thing, I'm 20 and if my father gifts me one of his handguns or buys me a new one it IS legal for me to open carry, correct?

badey

I am not a lawyer, but from what I have looked into, you are allowed to carry a parent's handgun, or they can give it to you as a gift, and it will be yours, and as long as they have a LTCF, they can carry your handgun in a vehicle, then arm you upon exiting.

derhammer

Yes, it's fine, according to the law, from what I can see. Better yet, write your rep and get HB 2176 passed, and then carry wherever you want without a worry. Also, write Representative Tom Marino and tell him you support Ben F. from Dingmans Ferry's idea for an amendment to the NFA regarding a special ID for handgun purchases (he'll know, I think - it was my idea and his "clerk," whom I spoke to on the phone, seemed to think it was a good idea and said he'd pass it along to the Congressman).

-derhammer

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How does someone under 21 get around the requirement to have a permit to open carry in a vehicle? I'm simply curious...

derhammer

How does someone under 21 get around the requirement to have a permit to open carry in a vehicle? I'm simply curious...

Solution 1: Get a rifle with at least a 16" barrel, or a shotgun with at least an 18" barrel, and carry that unloaded with you. Advantage: It's legal and you can do it while you're out alone. Disadvantage: It's very intimidating and you're definitely gonna get the cops called on you unless you live in a town with 99% NRA membership or something.

Solution 2: Get a person who is 21+ and has an LTCF to hold onto your pistol (that you received as a gift from your parent(s)/legal guardian) for you while in the car, and then take it from them and holster it when you get out.

-derhammer

Steve in PA

There is no such thing as "open carry" in a vehicle. Once you enter the vehicle, whether the loaded handgun is concealed under a shirt or carried openly, you need a LTCF. You can transport it unloaded to the range and a few other places.

Lacking a LTCF, by law you cannot transport an unloaded firearm to a place you desire to OC, since such an exception is not included in the list of exceptions.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
There is no such thing as "open carry" in a vehicle. Once you enter the vehicle, whether the loaded handgun is concealed under a shirt or carried openly, you need a LTCF. You can transport it unloaded to the range and a few other places.

Lacking a LTCF, by law you cannot transport an unloaded firearm to a place you desire to OC, since such an exception is not included in the list of exceptions.

If all police officers were as knowledgeable as you are about gun laws, the US would be a lot better off. :)