• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another new guy in aurora

nkunnen

Hello im new here. I was looking at the forum and it is full of a lot of nice people and a lot of info.. so i decided to join up. I am new to OCing and am trying to gather all the info that i can about the subject. I havent done it yet but picked up a holster today and am working towards doing it.

M-Taliesin

Hello im new here. I was looking at the forum and it is full of a lot of nice people and a lot of info.. so i decided to join up. I am new to OCing and am trying to gather all the info that i can about the subject. I havent done it yet but picked up a holster today and am working towards doing it.

Howdy Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join up and hope you find your participation here helpful.

Meanwhile, I routinely hook up with newcomers for an outing to help them overcome the apprehension that most of us encounter when we start OC'ing. I believe it helps to tag along in the company of somebody who has been open carrying for awhile to help you get through them first tenative outings. If you'd like to spend a part of your day OC'ing with a partner, I'd be happy to introduce you to OC'ing and help make it an enjoyable experience. I've done so for others hereabouts, and extend the offer to you as well.

The last newcomer I took out had his first LEO encounter while with me in Parker. Since I was his companion, I took the lead in dealing with the officers and he learned something about how to handle a situation of that ilk. (which turned out to be a 'non-event' when all was said and done)

Anyhow, if you think it would help you get comfortable with OC'ing, I'd be happy to give you the nickle tour of Aurora to help you get started OC'ing.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wmodavis

Welcome nkunnen!

I highly recommend an outing with M. I recently did it and it was an excellent experience with a pleasant, informative guy. I've started OCing with my new G23 and Mackenzie holster as a result.

Thanks M-Taliesin.

nkunnen

Thanks M-Taliesin, i will have to take you up on that offer sometime soon.. So far i am finding a lot of useful info on here. I am actually nervous about open carrying. The whole idea of the attention that i would get, and dealing with LEO's makes me nervous. But i do believe very strongly in the second amendment and a right not exercised is a right lost. Its a shame that a lot of people have no idea that oc is legal.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

I am actually nervous about open carrying. The whole idea of the attention that i would get, and dealing with LEO's makes me nervous. But i do believe very strongly in the second amendment and a right not exercised is a right lost. Its a shame that a lot of people have no idea that oc is legal.

Ive been openly carrying for around 2 months now, the first day i strapped my at the time C9 on my waist and walked out the door i was extremely nervous, but i took my time on line and got the knowledge and laws, and when i felt comfortable with the self defense laws, open carry and CHP laws and how i would and will react when approached by a LEO i felt i was ready for what should come my way. the LEO in my area aren't always the nicest nor calmest officers Ive had a experience with in the past so i expected to get alot of attention from them, and to this date i have not had a confrontation with one, seen a few who i know saw i was openly carrying and they said nothing, so either the agency's are better training the officers in Colorado after recent events in other areas or these cops took the time to know the laws. its alot of hype and nervousness for huge let down i assure you. As for normal citizens you will get alot of stares and questions about why your carrying, is it legal, I'm hoping you have browsed OCDO and saw the numerous posts about the random questions people will ask, but in order for more people to know that OC is legal you need to get out there with that sidearm on your hip and start helping inform the sheeple of there rights! I'm not saying approach and preach I'm just saying if your asked a cordial question about it, answer respectfully and to the best of your ability, don't go being like most LEO and spouting off things you know nothing about though, if you don't know something, come back ask and the great community here I'm sure will be happy to help. I'm quite new here myself, and as a newbie Welcome to the great community! and a great tip if you haven't already, invest in a alright voice or video recorder and whenever your out carrying keep it running no matter what!

Semper-Fi
~Wolf~

M-Taliesin

I am actually nervous about open carrying. The whole idea of the attention that i would get, and dealing with LEO's makes me nervous.

Howdy Amigo!
As I tell everybody who feels that same sense of apprehension starting out on their first adventures into OC'ing, and will share with you here, is that the nervousness you feel is absolutely normal, maybe even reasonable. That's why I offer to help ease folks through the transition by taking them on an outing to see how things are in the real world regarding OC.

To emphasize: The stuff we worry about most, never seems to happen.
We conjure up all manner of things in our minds that just don't seem to manifest when we start OC'ing.
Can things happen? Surely, they can and do. Are they likely? No, not so much.
That being said, spending an afternoon running around with somebody who has been OC'ing for awhile and knows things about it can be truly helpful.

While an LEO encounter is highly unlikely, it can and eventually will happen. With the last fellow I took on an outing, it just so happened that somebody called in a MWAG to the local cop shop while we were out. My companion was able to see how an experienced OC'er interacted with the police, and how the police responded to the situation. What I'm pretty sure my companion viewed as an evolving confrontation when the police arrived was transformed into a total 'non-event' by the casual and friendly interaction between carriers and cops. He was able to observe how easily we can got along. What looked like a negative episode quickly became a friendly banter replete with handshakes and some off the wall jokes that made for a positive experience for all concerned. Whatever apprehension my partner felt were quickly dispelled by how we interacted. The stuff we worry most about never seems to happen. All of which does not mean you should not be prepared for anything, just that the worst case scenario tends to be rare as hens teeth.

Anyhow, I have a whole bunch of stuff on my plate this week, but am always happy to make time to help another OC'er get started and comfortable with this whole new sort of experience.

Again, welcome to the herd!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Welcome to the forum and to open carry! It is a little nerve racking at first, but it ain't as bad as you think it is. Most of the nervousness is in the mind. Most people either don't notice, or they don't care. If you present youself in a friendly manner, that helps put folks at ease. Smile and say hello to them. When I started OC'ing, I was nervous as hell and thought I was going to get lots of MWAG calls and folks were going to freak out and scream and run out the store, but that never happened. I got lots of "are you a detective?" comments from folks, and thats about it! Never had a MWAG or LEO encounter, and I've been open carrying pretty much everywhere since last summer. I've had a Weld county sheriff take a second look at my sidearm and he never said anything. I recently open carried last weekend while shopping at the gun shop and a SWAT officer was there, he didn't say anything. The worst I've ever gotten was maybe 3 or 4 stink eyes from sheeple, thats about it!

Take up an offer from one of the fellow OC'ers! M-Taliesin was there on my first day OC'ing, and he is a great mentor! He has lots to teach and he helps put carrying a gun at ease. Do as much research as you can, where you can and cannot carry. And feel free to ask questions.

Welcome Aboard! Hope to see you at a Meet and Greet soon!

Blessings,

Keens

nkunnen

Thank you a lot for all the advice. everyone here seems to be really friendly and informative.

M-Taliesin

Thank you a lot for all the advice. everyone here seems to be really friendly and informative.

Howdy Amigo!
So far as I recall, everybody from Colorado is ready and willing to help newbies. And you won't find a friendlier group of folks anywhere.
Darn near everybody who posts here is friendly and courteous. We strive to keep things friendly, informative and helpful.
As with any online forum, you may encounter some who ain't especially neighborly, but we try to gain their cooperation when that happens and maintain an atmosphere where newcomers can feel at home.

Never fear what may seem a "stupid question" because the answer could come in real handy when you run up against somebody who is actually stupid while you're out open carrying in the community. Are there some real stupid people out there who may get all pushed outta shape because you're carrying a handgun? You bet. If you've driven a car in the metromess, you've seen them doing stupid things while going about their stupid little business. Besides, the only real stupid question is the one that never gets asked when the answers are readily available. So ask away pard!

Going back momentarily, in regard to stupid folks who insist on driving a car....
You never really learn to cuss, or appreciate it so much, or embrace it so often...
until you drive on the same roadways they do!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin