• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotsylvania considering relaxing shooting restrictions.

TFred

This one will be interesting to watch. VCDL will probably want to get involved as well.

TFred

Spotsylvania supervisors ponder shooting-ordinance change

BY JEFF BRANSCOME
THE FREE LANCE-STAR

Spotsylvania County gun owners who live on more than an acre may soon be able to shoot on their property. Residents currently face misdemeanor charges if they fire guns in any subdivision, regardless of how many acres their lots are.

The Board of Supervisors is considering amending the county ordinance to state that discharging guns in subdivisions is illegal only on lots of one acre or less.

Some think the proposed law is too strict, and others believe it may be too lax.

See link for rest of story.

sawah

Whoa, I'm not sure I'm in favor of that.

An acre is 165 ft by 264 ft. That's tiny. And if there are no trees, there is little assurance that the projectile will remain within their property. Also, there's a noise ordinance. I don't see how they can pass this simply.

Rural plots with lots of trees and maybe 10 acres, sure, but it would still be noisy for neighbors. They'd have to enact 'backstop' rules, and 'time of day to shoot' rules, and caliber of firearm provisions.

I mean it's good they're relaxing the laws on firearms, because it makes it more common for LAC to have and use their guns, but it's not simple to legislate and control, imo.
===
ETA: thanks TFred for the updates, as always.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Whoa, I'm not sure I'm in favor of that.

An acre is 165 ft by 264 ft. That's tiny. And if there are no trees, there is little assurance that the projectile will remain within their property. Also, there's a noise ordinance. I don't see how they can pass this simply.

Rural plots with lots of trees and maybe 10 acres, sure, but it would still be noisy for neighbors. They'd have to enact 'backstop' rules, and 'time of day to shoot' rules, and caliber of firearm provisions.
I mean it's good they're relaxing the laws on firearms, because it makes it more common for LAC to have and use their guns, but it's not simple to legislate and control, imo.
===
ETA: thanks TFred for the updates, as always.

Yeah, thats what we need... even more gun restrictions. :banghead: