• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

acouple questions about OC/LCC in california

8ur civic

Hey how's it going guys/gals I'm new to the website and just recently turned 21 and purchased firearm. That being said I'm from hanford/lemoore,ca and I do a lot of fishing I was just wondering if it was legal for me to LOC/LCC I do not have a ccw and just want to get some more knowledge on rules and regulations. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Tony

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hey how's it going guys/gals I'm new to the website and just recently turned 21 and purchased firearm. That being said I'm from hanford/lemoore,ca and I do a lot of fishing I was just wondering if it was legal for me to LOC/LCC I do not have a ccw and just want to get some more knowledge on rules and regulations. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Tony

Generally, no.
Specifically, it depends.

You will have to first do some reading- and you will need to determine if loaded open carry is still legal. LUCC on the other hand, is tip toeing into the fog of legal vagueries.

Last edited:

Shoobee

About the only place I know of where you can have a firearm with you as of today (5/13/2012) in California is as follows --

- inside of your home;

- inside of your own front or back yard, but beware because the neighbors can complain if they get scared; ergo if you are cleaning your rifle in the back yard and you have taken it apart, no problem, but be careful where you point it when you have put it back together, because pointing an unloaded firearm is a misdemeanor in Calif and pointing a loaded one is a felony;

- unloaded and locked up in your trunk or in a locked case in your car while on your way to a gun range, hunting site, or a non-prohibited campsite;

- on BLM land;

- on USFS land;

- inside your motel room;

- inside of your tent, if not in a prohibited area.

If there are any other places, then I have not read the new Calif law correctly. I believe there is still a technical distinction between handguns (pistols and revolvers) and long guns (rifles and shotguns) however that luxury won't be available for long, so it is wise just to treat all firearms the same from now on.

So it all depends on where you are fishing.

Most people would view you as rather odd if you were fishing and wearing a firearm too.

But inside your tent on USFS or BLM land is ok. While loaded inside your vehicle even though parked is not ok.

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
however that luxury won't be available for long, so it is wise just to treat all firearms the same from now on.

Until AB1527 passes you can still carry openly or concealed an unloaded long gun in most places, so if you have a suitable long gun that can be carried easily openly or concealed there is no reason not to do it now. Come January 1, 2013 however, and I doubt it will be legal though since the Assembly voted to ban carry of long guns 40-28 and I don't imagine the Senate will have much opposition either.

However, in a couple of years when California files for bankruptcy, perhaps the United States will take away California's sovereignty as a state and make it into a big federal territory... repealing every state law in the process, making it one big constitutional carry slab. Since California politicians care not about their budget and are only concerned with occupying their time finding new ways to regulate and criminalize their citizens, it seems they are too incompetent to be allowed to continue their jobs if it has to be paid for by the other 49 states.

Shoobee

Max, that is an interesting point, about the looming bankruptcy of the State of California. I too see this coming, although it had not occurred to me that the Feds might revert the state back to a territory after taking over all its debts. That would be quite disruptive, and the Feds normally try to keep business going as usual, rather than trigger a disruption.

I am guessing there will be some kind of Federal bail-out for California. There will need to be. Because California is "too big to fail."

Depending on how hard the Feds want to come down on investors, they could let the state bonds default, or else call and reimburse them, or somewhere in between.

It is a huge mess which the next administration in DC, whoever they are, will likely need to deal with.

It used to be a long time ago that you could open-carry loaded in California. And this was always the best solution for late at night if there were noises in the parking lot, etc. Thanks to former Gov. Reagan (RIP) and the Black Panthers however, that right was abused and voided, not necessarily constitutionally. Now open-carry unloaded is also gone.

Your vehicle is now at the risk of any petty thief or gang in the parking lot or garage now, and you cannot go out and defend it lawfully anymore in California, loaded or unloaded.

And regarding CCW, California is a "may issue" state that simply "does not issue" in 99.997% of the cases. Sad for the law abiding residents.