• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Fl. case- no "SYG" ruling-agree with this verdict?

since9

Campaign Veteran
State Prosecutor ANGELA CORY is the Real Criminal

“I believe when he threatened to kill me, that’s what he was absolutely going to do,” she said. “That’s what he intended to do. Had I not discharged my weapon at that point, I would not be here.”

It's not Florida law that's screwed up. The law is clear.

It's Angela Corey who is SNAFU-ing the citizens of Florida. She's the State Attorney out of Jacksonville who overturned the original prosecutor in the Zimmerman case. As you recall, the original prosecutor declined to press charges, saying it was a clear case of self-defense. Corey either bent to political pressure, is looking to make a name for herself, or is on some libtard's payroll (probably a promise of campaign donation).

She talks a good game, throwing around the word "victims" in her speeches like rice at a wedding, yet more often than not, the real victims in cases she prosecutes are honest, law-abiding citizens like Zimmerman who get shafted by Cory merely because a firearm is involved.

In fact, if you look at her record, she almost always focuses on the individual using the firearm, as "the bad guy," even when they're innocent.

Self defense is not a crime. Angela Cory believes if a gun is involved, then it's a crime, and she abuses the authority of her office in an attempt to twist Florida law to her own way of thinking, which is right out of the pages of the Brady Bunch Handbook of Twister Thinking.

SHE'S the criminal, here. Keep her name in mind: Angela Cory. Florida citizens won't be safe until she's removed from office.

Redbaron007

It's not Florida law that's screwed up. The law is clear.

It's Angela Corey who is SNAFU-ing the citizens of Florida. She's the State Attorney out of Jacksonville who overturned the original prosecutor in the Zimmerman case. As you recall, the original prosecutor declined to press charges, saying it was a clear case of self-defense. Corey either bent to political pressure, is looking to make a name for herself, or is on some libtard's payroll (probably a promise of campaign donation).

She talks a good game, throwing around the word "victims" in her speeches like rice at a wedding, yet more often than not, the real victims in cases she prosecutes are honest, law-abiding citizens like Zimmerman who get shafted by Cory merely because a firearm is involved.

In fact, if you look at her record, she almost always focuses on the individual using the firearm, as "the bad guy," even when they're innocent.

Self defense is not a crime. Angela Cory believes if a gun is involved, then it's a crime, and she abuses the authority of her office in an attempt to twist Florida law to her own way of thinking, which is right out of the pages of the Brady Bunch Handbook of Twister Thinking.

SHE'S the criminal, here. Keep her name in mind: Angela Cory. Florida citizens won't be safe until she's removed from office.

Very well stated. She is up for election this year. Her mantra dovetails with the comments from the prosecuting attorney from the CATO discussion of SYG. The vitcim is alwasys innocent; however the man with the gun is always guilty until proven innocent. She is bass-ackwards!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'd normally agree with the 'disengaged' comment but didn't the man go on record admitting he threatened to kill her?

http://www.politicususa.com/standing-ground-mans-perogative.html

“I believe when he threatened to kill me, that’s what he was absolutely going to do,” she said. “That’s what he intended to do. Had I not discharged my weapon at that point, I would not be here.”

According to her, the threat on her life was issued *after* she went back into the house. Even if it wasn't, at what point does the law conclude that a threat of deadly physical harm is over? Just because she leaves and comes back doesn't mean the threat against her life just magically disappears.

SYG says she has every right to be wherever she has a legal right to be, which includes in her own home. But it does not extend to leaving the scene and then coming back with a handgun to enforce her right to be in her home.

We will never know what would have happened if she had remained in the garage. We will never know if her husband was willing to lay seige to her and keep her in there until she died from lack of water. We do know that after she went into the garage and retrieved the handgun she intentionally returned inside the house where she knew there was a person who had offered her harm sufficient to cause her to go get the handgun in the first place. If nothing else that's a tactical error. Why not hunker down in the garage and prepare to defend herself in the event her husband comes after her? If she has the keys to the car why not drive through the stuck door and remove to even more safety? (In choosing between a threat of harm and the cost of replacing the garage door, I know which I would pick. YMMV) Why not get in the car, lock all the doors, and lean on the horn in an attempt to get the attention of the neighbors?

The law looks at what took place as two separate events - 1) everything that took place before she went into the garage where her abusive husband was not present, and 2) having retrieved a deadly weapon returning to where her husband was and confronting him with that deadly weapon. (She does not need to point it at him, or say anything, to confront him with it.) As I said before, #2 makes her the aggressor in the eyes of the law.

stay safe.

Repeater

Read the deposition

This post discusses the deposition where the guy, who isn't named, but apparently is "Mr. Gray" admits:
...I just don't know what would have happened. If my kids wouldn't have been there, I probably would have put my hands on her.

Probably hit her. I got five baby mamas and I put my hand on every last one of them except one.

I physically abused them; physically, emotionally, you know, it's like...Me, the way I was with women, they was like they had to walk on eggshells around me. You know, they never knew what I was thinking... or what I might do... hit them, push them.

See here. Warning: BIG file. It gets interesting beginning on page 27.