• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy! Longmont/Boulder/Lafayette area, anybody?

Zach C. Nelson

Hey,

Since turning 18 about a month ago, I've become interested in obtaining a firearm and taking advantage of the really nice firearms laws in Colorado.

I made a post in another part of the forum, but I'm looking to get a Glock 17.

What's the recommendation on getting ahold of one to try it out? My local gun club I plan on going to doesn't have that specific Glock model.

Ideas?

wmodavis

Look for ranges in or around your area and start calling them. Some have various handguns you can rent and try on the range. Good way to find if what you think you want fits you.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Sportsman's at 84th and I-25 will likely have it for you to heft, if nothing else. You can try other similar models at the range and see how they feel short of shooting. There's also Gander Mountain a little further north, I think at 92nd. Don't know that their handgun selection is as good.

Once you choose your weapon, practice, practice, practice BEFORE you start carrying. A weapon you are not proficient with will be worth less than nothing if you're in a defensive situation.

Keens

Give Franktown Firearms a call. I was just there yesterday and they have a few Glocks in stock. Check out their website at www.franktownfirearms.com.

I recommend you try out several different firearms to find what fits you best and will be the most comfortable in your hands. And like the others have said, practice as often as you can!

Welcome to the forums!

Keens

Zach C. Nelson

Awesome thanks y'all for your replies.

So I can go into a gunstore and ask to look at/hold a firearm even if I am under 21 and can't purchase it? They will accomodate me?

Another question:

Is it legal to simply ask my friend (over 21, owns several firearms, experienced etc.) to purchase the gun for me, and I simply pay him the cost?

Amb

Is it legal to simply ask my friend (over 21, owns several firearms, experienced etc.) to purchase the gun for me, and I simply pay him the cost?

I think you may want to google the term "straw purchase." And also the visiting hours of the federal facility your friend will be residing at.

Kingfish

So I can go into a gunstore and ask to look at/hold a firearm even if I am under 21 and can't purchase it? They will accomodate me?
Should not be a problem at all. Only restriction is that you cannot be under 21 to purchase one from an FLL dealer.

Another question:
Bad bad bad idea. A GIFT is one thing but having someone else buy it for you will get the buyer in a lot of trouble.