Thread: liscense to carry??

liscense to carry??

below is just one article that I have ran across recently and maybe I am reaching but I have noticed a trend that seems to want to make people think they need a license just to carry a firearm period. Even if you look at your license now it states on it "license to carry" , not CCW or anything about concealed. Like I said maybe it is just me but there seems to be a trend here in PA where they are stating more and more untruths about having to have a license but this is how rumors and lies and untruths start, before you know it everyone will think you need a license just to have a firearm on you and will think open carry is illegal. This is just my 2 cents but I thought would pass along and maybe people can jump on this and stop it before it keeps progressing. I really dont like how the new permit I got looks with it now saying license to carry on it and no where about concealed anymore. Thanks for letting me vent

http://www.tnonline.com/2012/may/12/want-carry-permit

Well, in PA, you are right and you are wrong....

You CAN open carry a firearm on your hip without a permit in PA (well, except in Philly, where you have to have a permit to cary in ANY mode).

However, if you get into your vehicle, and the gun is loaded and accessible, you MUST have a permit to transport it that way.

So as long as you are OCing entirely on foot in PA, you are correct--no permit is needed.

But the minute you sit in a car while carrying (OC or CC), under PA law, you DO need a permit...

PA law is a little weird that way.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

How do I get a "license to purchase" that is mentioned in the article?
    Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent.
    Louis Dembitz Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    PA law is a little weird that way.
    PA is a little weird in a alot of ways.

Lets hope PA gets Constitutional Carry bill passed and end this insane nightmare of all the caveats in the carry laws here.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    How do I get a "license to purchase" that is mentioned in the article?
    PA has no such thing as a "license to purchase" for handguns or long guns. You have to fill out a BATFE Form 4473 and pass a PICS check (Pennsylvania Instant Check System--the state's version of the national NICS system), which can be done in a few minutes by your FFL dealer.

NC, on the other hand, DOES require a "Handgun Purchase Permit" for the purchase of handguns (if you have a CHP, you are exempt from getting an HPP). This is an old "Jim Crow" law and was enacted so that Sheriffs could prevent "the wrong kinds of people" (read that as "blacks" and "women") from buying guns...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

No such thing as a "permit" in Pennsylvania . . .

Well, if that article is trying to be informational, they should at least use the correct terminology.

In Pennsylvania, we have a LTCF, not a "permit."

And yeah . . . "License to Purchase?" NOT!!!
    Last edited by Farmer Troy; 05-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.