Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you open carry this - suppressor OC?

Would you open carry this - suppressor OC?

Supressor open carry? Holster is a Hogue Speed Holster - dremeled a bit for the TiRant. First photos is with the drop holster - next 2 is with the non-drop adapter... I would not suggest this for anything other than a Israeli carry or 1911 or similar with a grip safety... when you sit down the holster can push against the trigger!!! This is was just a test setup to see if it could be done...

No
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    No
    +1

Actually - its VERY quick to come off the holster... a thumb drop as I grip is all thats needed to release from the trigger guard...

I agree with GGGD - NO to open carry...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

Nightstand home defense gun... sure. Carry for self-defense in public gun? No way. Not to mention, in close quarters combat you whip that thing out - you've just given the bag guy several more inches of suppressor to grab and deflect away from them.

Really?
    +1

+1 for all the reasons posted.
    Also, How do you sit? I'd be to afraid of tweaking the suppressor/barrel on the draw/sit/snag/etc.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Surprised no one went HERE yet:

Why on earth would one WANT to carry a suppressed pistol in the first place?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    I wouldn't for the simple reason that it looks too cumbersome for every day carry.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post

So you don't give yourself hearing loss if you have to use it.

I wouldn't carry it because it would to bump it into things.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

guess ill be the first to say this...

your coat is bad ass. that being said we can go back on topic

if I had a surpressor id carry it. why? why not. besides simple reasons like " its easy to grab" are any of you really going to let that drugged up purse snatcher that close to ypu!?! if you do you may as well have a knife not a gun.

anyways if you ever get in a shoot out, the bad guys will say "wtf wheres the shots coming from?"
    then you save the day because your perp sticks his head out to look.

( just to throw out here I dont want to bicker with anyone just stating this is all IMO and mine only)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post

if I had a surpressor id carry it. why? why not. besides simple reasons like " its easy to grab" are any of you really going to let that drugged up purse snatcher that close to ypu!?! if you do you may as well have a knife not a gun.
    If they sneak up on you and all that's holding it to your side is that thumb break you had better hope they don't get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post

anyways if you ever get in a shoot out, the bad guys will say "wtf wheres the shots coming from?"
    then you save the day because your perp sticks his head out to look.
    Suppressers do not silence. They lower the decibel to a level that won't cause hearing damage. Yes some work better than others but none of them silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post

If I had to use it, the last thing I'd be worrying about is hearing loss.

As for that, I can't count the times in half a century that I've fired a pistol or rifle without ear plugs or other hearing protection. How many hunters wear hearing protection? How many Police Officers. OK, so it's not comfortable but one "life saving shot or two" won't destroy your hearing. Worst reason I could think of to carry with a suppressor.

Now if you were to refer to range shooting, or indoor training, then that might make some sense.

If one is going to carry something that cumbersome, why not carry something that shoots a rifle cartridge. That would then give you some real serious stopping power.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    If I had to use it, the last thing I'd be worrying about is hearing loss.

As for that, I can't count the times in half a century that I've fired a pistol or rifle without ear plugs or other hearing protection. How many hunters wear hearing protection?
    I have a bit of tinnitis, I wonder if it came about from shooting 22LR plinking without hearing protection as a youngster? It makes you think about how 'careless' we were back in the day with stuff like that. No helmets to ride bikes, no air bags, riding in the bed of trucks, no protective glasses for things. Anyway, I think the idea of using a suppressor is a good one and I do think, if possible I'd want to put in some ear protection if I have to shoot in SD if there's ample time (i.e. barricaded in the bedroom). But carrying it - no - you'd soon decide it was too big for EDC, imo.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I wouldn't carry it because it would to bump it into things.
    Add, respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 05-14-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Add, respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance.
    Will it suppress/silence an UAW motorcycle - out of respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance?

I believe it would be a tactical advantage to use a suppressed handgun. example.... your first self defense shot will make your ears ring and cause distraction from situational awareness as you are looking and listining for more attackers.

I would carry one if they where about 2 or so inches long, but another 8 to 10 inches on the end of my pistol for everyday carry. No

Carry how you want to carry legally. As for me, the extra weight and awkwardness of the addition isn't worth it. Lowering the db level in a defensive situation is my very least concern.

"Honey, did I wake the baby? Call the police to pick up the mess."

Quote Originally Posted by waterfowl woody View Post
    I believe it would be a tactical advantage to use a suppressed handgun. example.... your first self defense shot will make your ears ring and cause distraction from situational awareness as you are looking and listining for more attackers.

I would carry one if they where about 2 or so inches long, but another 8 to 10 inches on the end of my pistol for everyday carry. No
    Do you think it would be a tactical advantage to not be able to see your sights? Most suppressors block their view unless you get custom ones installed. Would it also be an advantage to get your gun on target slower? Any extra weight out front will make it take longer to steady the gun. In a SD situation the most important thing is to get a good hit first. If you miss the first shot you're much more likely to get hit yourself. I'm no expert, but I read enough information from those who are to know that a suppressor would NOT be a tactical advantage.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No I wouldn't OC nor encourage anyone to OC a suppressed handgun anymore than I would encourage someone to carry a suppressed long gun will walking down the street while wearing full black-ops, ninja gear. It is a matter of perception by others in this public relations endeavor. While legal in most areas, this would ignore the intent of normalizing of OC as we go through our normal everyday lives.

There will be those that disagree as is their right to have differing opinions, but to not abide by the purpose, intent and boundaries of OCDO is not the wisest decision. OCDO policies and rules have been well thought out and proven to be successful. There is no reason to derail or set back the advances, acceptance of OC, made throughout the states/country. We are locked in a battle for the hearts and minds of the public - one I see that we are winning.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

No. The only time I OC is while in the woods. Frankly I dont want people to know Im carrying a gun when I'm around an urban environment. IF a person was carrying a suppressed weapon and HAD to defend themselves said person would get "Hammered" in court for it. Not worth it.

Most reports I've read from folks who've actually fired in self defense say they didn't hear a darned thing due to the stress/adrenaline/tunnel vision/etc. Carrying a suppressor "out of consideration for others" seems a pretty weak reason too, considering the number of every day things that are louder and/or more frequent than a self-defense gunshot. Suppressors are great things for training, plinking, or just having fun, but unless you're working on a contract for the Don I can't see any logical reason to carry​ one.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

What?? 12-14 inches long? Nope, not me.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We are locked in a battle for the hearts and minds of the public - one I see that we are winning.
    Only as long as we "do battle" in a sensible manner. It's not just a war against the Anti-gun crowd, it's also a matter of gaining support from those that are somewhat neutral on the subject. Those who don't choose to carry for themselves but have no issue with those who do. The more extreme those who OC become, the fewer will remain neutral and may well join the "anti" crowd. Nobody cares for an extremist, no matter which end of the spectrum they are on.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

All above stated reasons are valid. +1 Grapeshot. Add on to that the fact that if you OC a suppressed firearm, legally obtained/posessed or not, you are gonna attract every peace officer within a few miles. Regardless of being let off the hook or not, that's not a hassle, loss of time and freedom I'd be willing to undertake.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Do you think it would be a tactical advantage to not be able to see your sights? Most suppressors block their view unless you get custom ones installed. Would it also be an advantage to get your gun on target slower? Any extra weight out front will make it take longer to steady the gun. In a SD situation the most important thing is to get a good hit first. If you miss the first shot you're much more likely to get hit yourself. I'm no expert, but I read enough information from those who are to know that a suppressor would NOT be a tactical advantage.
    reading and doing are two different things. I have plenty of strength to hold my weapon. as of aquiring a target I never have a problem. try working out with a dumbell. hold that dumbell in front of you like you are presenting your weapon and hold. use the dumbell to simulate a draw from your holster. you will never feel like you can't get your gun steady? even if it weighed 100lbs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast