• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you open carry this - suppressor OC?

SigPacker

Supressor open carry? Holster is a Hogue Speed Holster - dremeled a bit for the TiRant. First photos is with the drop holster - next 2 is with the non-drop adapter... I would not suggest this for anything other than a Israeli carry or 1911 or similar with a grip safety... when you sit down the holster can push against the trigger!!! This is was just a test setup to see if it could be done...

photocmm.jpg

tirant2.jpg

tirant1.jpg

SigPacker

Actually - its VERY quick to come off the holster... a thumb drop as I grip is all thats needed to release from the trigger guard...

I agree with GGGD - NO to open carry...

SigPacker

Nightstand home defense gun... sure. Carry for self-defense in public gun? No way. Not to mention, in close quarters combat you whip that thing out - you've just given the bag guy several more inches of suppressor to grab and deflect away from them.

Really?

+1

decklin

+1 for all the reasons posted.
Also, How do you sit? I'd be to afraid of tweaking the suppressor/barrel on the draw/sit/snag/etc.

Levi

Surprised no one went HERE yet:

Why on earth would one WANT to carry a suppressed pistol in the first place?

So you don't give yourself hearing loss if you have to use it.

I wouldn't carry it because it would to bump it into things.

guess ill be the first to say this...

your coat is bad ass. that being said we can go back on topic

if I had a surpressor id carry it. why? why not. besides simple reasons like " its easy to grab" are any of you really going to let that drugged up purse snatcher that close to ypu!?! if you do you may as well have a knife not a gun.

anyways if you ever get in a shoot out, the bad guys will say "wtf wheres the shots coming from?"
then you save the day because your perp sticks his head out to look.

( just to throw out here I dont want to bicker with anyone just stating this is all IMO and mine only)

Sorcice

if I had a surpressor id carry it. why? why not. besides simple reasons like " its easy to grab" are any of you really going to let that drugged up purse snatcher that close to ypu!?! if you do you may as well have a knife not a gun.
If they sneak up on you and all that's holding it to your side is that thumb break you had better hope they don't get lucky.

anyways if you ever get in a shoot out, the bad guys will say "wtf wheres the shots coming from?"
then you save the day because your perp sticks his head out to look.
Suppressers do not silence. They lower the decibel to a level that won't cause hearing damage. Yes some work better than others but none of them silence.

amlevin

If I had to use it, the last thing I'd be worrying about is hearing loss.

As for that, I can't count the times in half a century that I've fired a pistol or rifle without ear plugs or other hearing protection. How many hunters wear hearing protection? How many Police Officers. OK, so it's not comfortable but one "life saving shot or two" won't destroy your hearing. Worst reason I could think of to carry with a suppressor.

Now if you were to refer to range shooting, or indoor training, then that might make some sense.

If one is going to carry something that cumbersome, why not carry something that shoots a rifle cartridge. That would then give you some real serious stopping power.

sawah

If I had to use it, the last thing I'd be worrying about is hearing loss.

As for that, I can't count the times in half a century that I've fired a pistol or rifle without ear plugs or other hearing protection. How many hunters wear hearing protection?

I have a bit of tinnitis, I wonder if it came about from shooting 22LR plinking without hearing protection as a youngster? It makes you think about how 'careless' we were back in the day with stuff like that. No helmets to ride bikes, no air bags, riding in the bed of trucks, no protective glasses for things. Anyway, I think the idea of using a suppressor is a good one and I do think, if possible I'd want to put in some ear protection if I have to shoot in SD if there's ample time (i.e. barricaded in the bedroom). But carrying it - no - you'd soon decide it was too big for EDC, imo.

Fallschirjmäger

Surprised no one went HERE yet:
Why on earth would one WANT to carry a suppressed pistol in the first place?
I wouldn't carry it because it would to bump it into things.
Add, respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Add, respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance.
Will it suppress/silence an UAW motorcycle - out of respect for the hearing of others and a desire not to cause a public noise disturbance?

waterfowl woody

I believe it would be a tactical advantage to use a suppressed handgun. example.... your first self defense shot will make your ears ring and cause distraction from situational awareness as you are looking and listining for more attackers.

I would carry one if they where about 2 or so inches long, but another 8 to 10 inches on the end of my pistol for everyday carry. No

DCKilla

Carry how you want to carry legally. As for me, the extra weight and awkwardness of the addition isn't worth it. Lowering the db level in a defensive situation is my very least concern.

"Honey, did I wake the baby? Call the police to pick up the mess.":rolleyes:

tombrewster421

I believe it would be a tactical advantage to use a suppressed handgun. example.... your first self defense shot will make your ears ring and cause distraction from situational awareness as you are looking and listining for more attackers.

I would carry one if they where about 2 or so inches long, but another 8 to 10 inches on the end of my pistol for everyday carry. No

Do you think it would be a tactical advantage to not be able to see your sights? Most suppressors block their view unless you get custom ones installed. Would it also be an advantage to get your gun on target slower? Any extra weight out front will make it take longer to steady the gun. In a SD situation the most important thing is to get a good hit first. If you miss the first shot you're much more likely to get hit yourself. I'm no expert, but I read enough information from those who are to know that a suppressor would NOT be a tactical advantage.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No I wouldn't OC nor encourage anyone to OC a suppressed handgun anymore than I would encourage someone to carry a suppressed long gun will walking down the street while wearing full black-ops, ninja gear. It is a matter of perception by others in this public relations endeavor. While legal in most areas, this would ignore the intent of normalizing of OC as we go through our normal everyday lives.

There will be those that disagree as is their right to have differing opinions, but to not abide by the purpose, intent and boundaries of OCDO is not the wisest decision. OCDO policies and rules have been well thought out and proven to be successful. There is no reason to derail or set back the advances, acceptance of OC, made throughout the states/country. We are locked in a battle for the hearts and minds of the public - one I see that we are winning.

Backpacker Joe

No. The only time I OC is while in the woods. Frankly I dont want people to know Im carrying a gun when I'm around an urban environment. IF a person was carrying a suppressed weapon and HAD to defend themselves said person would get "Hammered" in court for it. Not worth it.