• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you open carry this - suppressor OC?

Metalhead47

Most reports I've read from folks who've actually fired in self defense say they didn't hear a darned thing due to the stress/adrenaline/tunnel vision/etc. Carrying a suppressor "out of consideration for others" seems a pretty weak reason too, considering the number of every day things that are louder and/or more frequent than a self-defense gunshot. Suppressors are great things for training, plinking, or just having fun, but unless you're working on a contract for the Don I can't see any logical reason to carry​ one.

amlevin

We are locked in a battle for the hearts and minds of the public - one I see that we are winning.

Only as long as we "do battle" in a sensible manner. It's not just a war against the Anti-gun crowd, it's also a matter of gaining support from those that are somewhat neutral on the subject. Those who don't choose to carry for themselves but have no issue with those who do. The more extreme those who OC become, the fewer will remain neutral and may well join the "anti" crowd. Nobody cares for an extremist, no matter which end of the spectrum they are on.

J_Oliver

All above stated reasons are valid. +1 Grapeshot. Add on to that the fact that if you OC a suppressed firearm, legally obtained/posessed or not, you are gonna attract every peace officer within a few miles. Regardless of being let off the hook or not, that's not a hassle, loss of time and freedom I'd be willing to undertake.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

waterfowl woody

Do you think it would be a tactical advantage to not be able to see your sights? Most suppressors block their view unless you get custom ones installed. Would it also be an advantage to get your gun on target slower? Any extra weight out front will make it take longer to steady the gun. In a SD situation the most important thing is to get a good hit first. If you miss the first shot you're much more likely to get hit yourself. I'm no expert, but I read enough information from those who are to know that a suppressor would NOT be a tactical advantage.

reading and doing are two different things. I have plenty of strength to hold my weapon. as of aquiring a target I never have a problem. try working out with a dumbell. hold that dumbell in front of you like you are presenting your weapon and hold. use the dumbell to simulate a draw from your holster. you will never feel like you can't get your gun steady? even if it weighed 100lbs!

hermannr

IMHO that just looks a bit too cumbersome to actually carry to me. I like the idea of a suppressed pistol because my hearing is pretty much toast anyway and I need to protect what little I have left, but that just looks too cumbersome. Maybe on the bedstand.

Tawnos

I would if it weren't so long and unwieldy. I have a silencerco osprey which is very nice - quieter, more accurate shots. However, it doesn't fit in most holsters, is heavy, is long, and is generally not good for EDC.

Sparky508

No. The only time I OC is while in the woods. Frankly I dont want people to know Im carrying a gun when I'm around an urban environment. IF a person was carrying a suppressed weapon and HAD to defend themselves said person would get "Hammered" in court for it. Not worth it.

How do you figure?

DamonK

No way. I carry for 2 reasons. One to protect myself and my loved ones, and two to protect our rights by educating the public. That thing is nothing but a hindrance to both counts.

First let's get the P.R. issue out of the way. If you are carrying to educate the public, that is only going to drive the neutral folks away. Hell, I don't understand care for it myself (but I do support your right to carry as long as it is legal where you are)

Second, as far as tactics go, that thing is worthless. The benefit you get from it being quiet is drastically reduced but the fact that you now have no sights and no balance. In addition to that, have you ever seen what happens when you shoot through a mis-aligned silencer? It's not pretty. And all it takes is you bumping it and sitting on it wrong just once. Then you have the whole issue of giving you attacker a handle on your weapon. Someone earlier mentions that at that range you should pull a knife, but I generally don't carry fighting knives on my person. There's just too many drawbacks to using it for it to be a viable option for OC.

Just my humble opinion. But it is based in real world experience.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2