Thread: Professor Bookman

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Professor Bookman

This seems to be the weekend for close encounters!

Saturday, after the OC meet, I went to Warehouse Sports to pick up a few needed items for the upcoming camping trip in Wenatchee. I found most of what I was looking for, had a great encounter with a guy who had experience with the Mountain House line of products I was buying AND a large curiosity bump about OC. I basically pointed him toward OCDO, RCW 9.41, and Dave Wokman's "Washington Gun Rights And Responsibilities". I also had the opportunity to look at 2 pistols and 2 rifles I'm coveting.

After taking care of business at Warehouse Sports I headed for Federal Way Discount Guns to pick up some ammo. While I was in line, waiting for the salesman to ring up the gun purchase ahead of me, the guy buying the gun started asking questions of the sales guy. It went something like this: (This conversation is NOT quoted exactly, but the meaning are the same as the original)

Customer: "I have my CPL, but I'm not sure about a few things. Does concealed mean concealed, or can I just walk down the street with my gun on my hip?"

Sales: "Concealed means concealed. You can walk down the street with your gun on your hip, but you'll be hassled by every cop who sees you."

At this point I couldn't resist stepping in and explaining to the customer that, while what the salesman had said used to be more or less true that it wasn't any longer. I explained a bit about OC, then pointed him, just like I'd done with the other guy, to OCDO, RCW 9.41, and Washington Gun Rights and Responsibilities.

The only thing I think I missed out on was handing each of them a brochure. I REALLY need to get some more of those.
    Last edited by Bookman; 05-14-2012 at 05:19 AM.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

My experiences with Discount Guns, any location, is that they aren't known for hiring real "brainiacs".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Capital F for Fail, False, or Flunk. Crossed a street Saturday night and I am pretty certain the Renton officer across the street saw me OCing. He just drove on. (And it was a well lit street corner too so anyone could see the evil black gun on my hip if they bothered to look)

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    My experiences with Discount Guns, any location, is that they aren't known for hiring real "brainiacs".
    Federal Way Discount Guns is privately owned and not connected with Discount Gun Sales. They just have a similar name and better prices.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Federal Way Discount Guns is privately owned and not connected with Discount Gun Sales. They just have a similar name and better prices.
    But do they have any smarter employees?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I had a really similar encounter like this. When I first bought my gun from some place in Lynnwood (forget the name). I said to my friend that I was going to OC and the sales clerk said it was a bad idea unless I want the cops to pull their guns on me. This was before I had ever OCed, sure glad I stumbled upon this forum while researching the laws.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 05-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    I had a really similar encounter like this. When I first bought my gun from some place in Lynnwood (forget the name). I said to my friend that I was going to OC and the sales clerk said it was a bad idea unless I want the cops to pull their guns on me. This was before I had ever OCed, sure glad I stubble upon this forum while researching the laws.
    This was, more than likely, Adventure Sports. Well stocked shop, lots of reloading stuff and BP supplies, but I have been told categorically by one particular salesman that I would be arrested if caught OC'ing.

This was quite some time back, but he still works there.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    This was, more than likely, Adventure Sports. Well stocked shop, lots of reloading stuff and BP supplies, but I have been told categorically by one particular salesman that I would be arrested if caught OC'ing.

That's the place... couldn't remember the name for the life of me. That's almost exactly how he worded it too.

But do they have any smarter employees?
    Evidently not.

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post

You must be referring to the "Answer Man". Medium build, dark hair, and former "Sniper". Never found a topic he wasn't an expert on.

Only time I go there now is when I want something "Dillon" for my reloading bench. They stock and the price isn't much more than having it shipped from Dillon. About the only difference is a few bucks that the Sales Tax adds.

I no longer buy powder and primers from them. I got tired of funding the owner's retirement plan on every purchase. Now order from "Out of State". No more driving to Lynnwood and risking a ticket from the Red Light Cam's, no more ridiculous Lynnwood local sales tax, and best of all, prices that can be as much as 25% less on primers.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Yep, that would be him!
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

So... Would a mass trip to lynnwood be in order? I'm sure that if half a dozen folks or more were OCing in the shop he might just have to admit he's wrong... Or his head might explode. Either way, it'd be entertaining:-D

I no longer buy powder and primers from them. I got tired of funding the owner's retirement plan on every purchase. Now order from "Out of State". No more driving to Lynnwood and risking a ticket from the Red Light Cam's, no more ridiculous Lynnwood local sales tax, and best of all, prices that can be as much as 25% less on primers.
    ...including hazmat fees and shipping? Yow. Where do you order from?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    A company named Powder Valley Inc. Their prices on Bench Rest primers alone (when compared to Adventure's prices) offsets the hazmat fee and shipping. I order a "years supply" every fall and fill the hazmat container as full as I can with Powder and Primers. I saved well over $500 on my order over what the "Local" dealer wanted for the same product and that was before the Sales Tax which is almost a full "point" higher in Lynnwood.

Check out their website and if you want to order a quantity, call them on the phone. The people there will see to it that the container is filled with as much product as possible yet without going into a second hazmat fee.

Best source out there for Powder and Primers, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    I find that it's better to get together with a few friends to offset the hazmat fees. If you do it right it does come out cheaper.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Yeah Powder Valley!

I do kind of wonder about the name of the place, though: it's like they have a lot of Cordite Trees growing there that the valley is named after?
    Last edited by kparker; 05-25-2012 at 10:16 PM.

I buy all my black powder there. My cannons and mortars tend to use a lot.