• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Professor Bookman

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
This seems to be the weekend for close encounters!:lol:

Saturday, after the OC meet, I went to Warehouse Sports to pick up a few needed items for the upcoming camping trip in Wenatchee. I found most of what I was looking for, had a great encounter with a guy who had experience with the Mountain House line of products I was buying AND a large curiosity bump about OC. I basically pointed him toward OCDO, RCW 9.41, and Dave Wokman's "Washington Gun Rights And Responsibilities". I also had the opportunity to look at 2 pistols and 2 rifles I'm coveting.

After taking care of business at Warehouse Sports I headed for Federal Way Discount Guns to pick up some ammo. While I was in line, waiting for the salesman to ring up the gun purchase ahead of me, the guy buying the gun started asking questions of the sales guy. It went something like this: (This conversation is NOT quoted exactly, but the meaning are the same as the original)

Customer: "I have my CPL, but I'm not sure about a few things. Does concealed mean concealed, or can I just walk down the street with my gun on my hip?"

Sales: "Concealed means concealed. You can walk down the street with your gun on your hip, but you'll be hassled by every cop who sees you."

At this point I couldn't resist stepping in and explaining to the customer that, while what the salesman had said used to be more or less true that it wasn't any longer. I explained a bit about OC, then pointed him, just like I'd done with the other guy, to OCDO, RCW 9.41, and Washington Gun Rights and Responsibilities.

The only thing I think I missed out on was handing each of them a brochure. I REALLY need to get some more of those.

Last edited:

acmariner99

Capital F for Fail, False, or Flunk. Crossed a street Saturday night and I am pretty certain the Renton officer across the street saw me OCing. He just drove on. (And it was a well lit street corner too so anyone could see the evil black gun on my hip if they bothered to look)

Knowledge

I had a really similar encounter like this. When I first bought my gun from some place in Lynnwood (forget the name). I said to my friend that I was going to OC and the sales clerk said it was a bad idea unless I want the cops to pull their guns on me. This was before I had ever OCed, sure glad I stumbled upon this forum while researching the laws.:D

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I had a really similar encounter like this. When I first bought my gun from some place in Lynnwood (forget the name). I said to my friend that I was going to OC and the sales clerk said it was a bad idea unless I want the cops to pull their guns on me. This was before I had ever OCed, sure glad I stubble upon this forum while researching the laws.:D

This was, more than likely, Adventure Sports. Well stocked shop, lots of reloading stuff and BP supplies, but I have been told categorically by one particular salesman that I would be arrested if caught OC'ing.

This was quite some time back, but he still works there.

Knowledge

This was, more than likely, Adventure Sports. Well stocked shop, lots of reloading stuff and BP supplies, but I have been told categorically by one particular salesman that I would be arrested if caught OC'ing.

That's the place... couldn't remember the name for the life of me. That's almost exactly how he worded it too.

amlevin

You must be referring to the "Answer Man". Medium build, dark hair, and former "Sniper". Never found a topic he wasn't an expert on.

Only time I go there now is when I want something "Dillon" for my reloading bench. They stock and the price isn't much more than having it shipped from Dillon. About the only difference is a few bucks that the Sales Tax adds.

I no longer buy powder and primers from them. I got tired of funding the owner's retirement plan on every purchase. Now order from "Out of State". No more driving to Lynnwood and risking a ticket from the Red Light Cam's, no more ridiculous Lynnwood local sales tax, and best of all, prices that can be as much as 25% less on primers.

DamonK

So... Would a mass trip to lynnwood be in order? I'm sure that if half a dozen folks or more were OCing in the shop he might just have to admit he's wrong... Or his head might explode. Either way, it'd be entertaining:-D

John Hardin

I no longer buy powder and primers from them. I got tired of funding the owner's retirement plan on every purchase. Now order from "Out of State". No more driving to Lynnwood and risking a ticket from the Red Light Cam's, no more ridiculous Lynnwood local sales tax, and best of all, prices that can be as much as 25% less on primers.

...including hazmat fees and shipping? Yow. Where do you order from?

amlevin

...including hazmat fees and shipping? Yow. Where do you order from?

A company named Powder Valley Inc. Their prices on Bench Rest primers alone (when compared to Adventure's prices) offsets the hazmat fee and shipping. I order a "years supply" every fall and fill the hazmat container as full as I can with Powder and Primers. I saved well over $500 on my order over what the "Local" dealer wanted for the same product and that was before the Sales Tax which is almost a full "point" higher in Lynnwood.

Check out their website and if you want to order a quantity, call them on the phone. The people there will see to it that the container is filled with as much product as possible yet without going into a second hazmat fee.

Best source out there for Powder and Primers, bar none.

kparker

Yeah Powder Valley!

I do kind of wonder about the name of the place, though: it's like they have a lot of Cordite Trees growing there that the valley is named after?

Last edited:

jeeper1

I buy all my black powder there. My cannons and mortars tend to use a lot.