• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and have questions that i have yet to find anwsers to

Freedom1Man

i am in full support believe me the day i turn 21 (just shy of 18 now) i will begin training with my weapon of choice, but thinking about this would police not think less threatened or agitated of an OCer if upon the first request of I.D. they were cooperated with?

if every OCer did this the police would begin to accept and respect our right to carry and therefore would give a friendly wave and be on there way? would they not?

also in public if an OCer cooperated with police and non carry citizens saw this would those citizens begin to understand why we do what we do?

i think non carriers see refusing to show I.D. as some sort of rebellious tactic and feel threatened by that

Well, first I would like to welcome you. Then ask that you start reading even old random Washington threads.

You will find that most people in here are helpful but, you should never take any of what we say as legal advice. If you have a question about a law feel free to ask people in a forum for a citation/link to the law. If there is any question about that law then look at the date of the law and research the "session law" that created the lines in the RCW. http://www.leg.wa.gov/CODEREVISER/Pages/session_laws.aspx The courts have ruled that the RCWs are not laws themselves but are 'prima facie' evidence of a law.

In order to keep your liberty you must do research lots and lots of it on your own. If you have more questions you might find a law library at your county court house to aid in your search for a statute or case ruling. Use the internet and take notes of cases people talk about and then read them and come up with what you understand them to be and feel free to discuss your findings with other liberty minded citizens. I, for one, do not mind a PM about off topic stuff.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of freedom and whatnot.

Usarmykr

Bored at work and wanted to throw my $.02 in.

Legal precedence is set when a trial is won for a certain infraction. Roe vs Wade is a famous one, Roe challenged the government, saying abortion is constitutionally legal until viability. Roe won, which set a precedent, which made abortion legal until viability.

So say you get stopped, you don't comply, you knwo your rights and you let the officer know it. He pushes it, you end up in cuffs. When you get released you file a complaint with the department and file a lawsuit. You WILL win it, assuming you were not actually beligerent or assaulting an officer or something (recording devices are excellent for legal proceedings and for arguments with the wife ;)) that officer is going to get a mean chewing out or worse by his chief, who will then brief every officer in that station. If an officer from the station does it again, he is going to get more than a slap on the wrist. You will be setting precedent.

If you just give him your ID, you are also setting precedent, saying its ok to do whatever you want mr badgeman.

So we aren't fighting for rights, we are simply using them. They are our rights, no one can take them away from us (not unless they are congress or the supreme court) so why would you just give them away?

Might as well just let the FBI put cameras all up in your house.

I was taught by my dad to do things all the way or not at all, nothing half-assed. So if you are going to comply with the officers of the law breaking the law, why not just comply all the way?

Difdi

Here's the issue, 722wdblazer... someone calls the police because they see you are wearing a gun on your belt in a holster. Cop comes up to you and you fully cooperate with the police officer, offer your identification to the police officer so they can check you out. What have you accomplished? You have both supported and encouraged the idea that the mere act of lawfully carrying a firearm is worthy of suspicion and investigation by the police. If that is the image that you wish to encourage, go right ahead. Some of us choose to fight against the idea and image that the mere lawful possession of a firearm is worthy of suspicion and investigation.

Would you be OK with an officer investigating you because you were talking on a cell phone to make sure the cell phone was not stolen? Would you be OK with an officer investigating you because you were eating in McDonald's with children at your table to make sure you were not a kidnapper? Would you just "cooperate" with the officer enough times in those scenarios until the officer "came to know you" and he decided that you no longer required investigation? Why is your lawful possession of a firearm any different?

A better analogy would be being stopped and ID-checked because you are carrying a book. A book is just as legal to keep and bear as a firearm is. Openly carrying a book is just as much justification to be stopped and questioned in Washington as openly carrying a holstered pistol. I could even make an argument in favor of public safety on this, given that more people have been killed throughout history by misapplication of knowledge than by misapplication of bullets.

Last edited:

robert1970

I also Have a question

Last night,while I was at work,there was a incedent in the apartment complex were I live.Appreantly one of the tennants got drunk and was beating the living hell out of his wife.A friend of mine that lives next door was telling me about it,and he was wondering if you would be in your legal right to have pulled a handgun on him and stoped it.Here in idaho I think its on the edge of being legal or not.What do you guys think

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Last night,while I was at work,there was a incedent in the apartment complex were I live.Appreantly one of the tennants got drunk and was beating the living hell out of his wife.A friend of mine that lives next door was telling me about it,and he was wondering if you would be in your legal right to have pulled a handgun on him and stoped it.Here in idaho I think its on the edge of being legal or not.What do you guys think

Domestic situations can be very tricky. They can quickly turn from you saying he "was beating the living hell out of his wife" to HER saying 'we were arguing and this guy comes in waving a gun at us'.

deanf

enough so that they know im not a threat to society and im simply carrying that weapon to defend myself

But "cooperating" and remaining detained until they decide to release you proves nothing. It's feel-good-ism - nothing more.

robert1970

Domestic situations can be very tricky. They can quickly turn from you saying he "was beating the living hell out of his wife" to HER saying 'we were arguing and this guy comes in waving a gun at us'.

yes it is a tricky situation.personally i think the best is to call the police and just watch.