• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons cops give for carrying.

CharleyCherokee

As those of you who have been approached by police know one of the first things they like to ask is why you're carrying. And I'm certain most of you like myself have said something akin to the same reason you do. Now, I was recently given a reason why cops carry that was too good not to share and so without further ado here it is.

"I carry because I take people's freedom away."

Yes, I told the officer I thought that was a very messed up reason to carry, and that I was certain by his answer that he didn't carry because he might have to use that firearm to defend himself against armed criminals. I'm interested if anyone else has gotten one of these splendid bs answers from an officer who just can't admit to themselves that citizens have the same right to carry that the "privileged" ones have.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Nope. The last three cops I asked all said pretty much the same thing:

1. It's a visible deterrent to aggression.

2. If that fails, it's a lot easier to employ from a side holster than from a concealed holster.

Fallschirjmäger

In defense of the officer, I can see his point; "I carry because I take people's freedom away." He's not saying that he carries in order to take away the freedoms of others, but that it is sometimes a necessary part of his job. I think he's saying that "sometimes... people get a mite bit upset when you're stopping them from enjoying certain freedoms."

He has to take away someone's freedom to drive home if they are driving while intoxicated
He has to take away someone's freedom to make a living if they are doing so by selling drugs, muggings, thievery, banditry, brigandry, or a host of others means.
He has to take away someone's freedom to enjoy a peaceful pastime if they are doing so by doing drugs, or being intoxicated in public.

Could it have been phrased better, sure. Could it have been phrased worse, yep to that too.

papa bear

In defense of the officer, I can see his point; "I carry because I take people's freedom away." He's not saying that he carries in order to take away the freedoms of others, but that it is sometimes a necessary part of his job. I think he's saying that "sometimes... people get a mite bit upset when you're stopping them from enjoying certain freedoms."

He has to take away someone's freedom to drive home if they are driving while intoxicated
He has to take away someone's freedom to make a living if they are doing so by selling drugs, muggings, thievery, banditry, brigandry, or a host of others means.
He has to take away someone's freedom to enjoy a peaceful pastime if they are doing so by doing drugs, or being intoxicated in public.

Could it have been phrased better, sure. Could it have been phrased worse, yep to that too.

sorry to have to, sort of, dis agree. if you are breaking the law, especially a legitimate law, you have given up your rights to freedom. now for those times you have not broken a law you should not have your freedom taken, and too you need your freedoms protected.

i have not had a officer ask me that yet. i am waiting for it.

Fallschirjmäger

I don't disagree with you, papa bear, (except that it's after conviction that one gives up a right to freedom) but very often the very people that are breaking the law (and who Officer Friendly is interacting with, not us) see it as their method of making a living being threatened, or their chosen method of 'taking the edge off a hard day' that's being interfered with. As such, they tend to resent those who would interfere and stop the pursuits that they are intent on pursuing.

As they say, to understand the enemy, you must be able to see the world through their eyes. Hardly any criminal or thug sees himself as a criminal or thug, he's 'fighting against the Man who only wants to keep a brotha down' or 'taking from the rich, because of all that they have taken from me.'

Lazarus Long said:
"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate--and quickly."

jdholmes

As they say, to understand the enemy, you must be able to see the world through their eyes. Hardly any criminal or thug sees himself as a criminal or thug...'

Uhhhh..sure...but they are. If I don't see myself as a human, but rather a vulcan, does that mean I am not human?

I don't care how a criminal sees himself it doesn't change the fact that he is.

CharleyCherokee

Well I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but he was not giving the reason as a legitimate reason to carry. He was giving it to be contrarian. I was calling at the time to file a complaint against 5 officers who saw fit to surround my family and me at the park for the simple fact that I was carrying a firearm on my hip. I was told that I should get a concealed carry permit so I won't have to deal with such hassles in the future, and being the stubborn and principled person I am I see no reason to pay to exercise a right. The gentle officer I was talking to said they had the DUTY to make sure I wasn't some whack job bent on destruction. It was also obvious that by my firearm being present no one else was free to use the playground equipment next to us. Nevermind the fact that we were surrounded by people who could care less playing with the equipment around us until the officers arrived. So no, he doesn't carry his firearm because sometimes he has to take people's freedoms. He carries his DAMN firearm because sometimes criminals don't want to stop just because you tell them to.

Fallschirjmäger

My bubble is yet unburst, no worries.

If I were you, I'd continue to do as you have done. Heck, you might even consider being cooperative with the nice officers and call ahead of time to let them know where you expect to be and when you expect to arrive so that the nice officers don't have to wait around. Of course, if your schedule should change unexpectedly, I'd also recommend calling the police and advising them of any changes. If you're like me you might change your mind 10-12 times a day. ... or more.
Compliment the nice officers on doing their "duty", see if you can coordinate with him so that you are available the next time he's working; maybe he'll give you his cellphone number so you don't have to tie up 'official lines' - you don't want to overload the system after all, right?
"Would Two O'clock on Tuesday work with your schedule, Officer Friendly? I'll be at the corner booth at the Quizno's on Main St. Unless 3rd and Broad is more convenient for you..?"

Many officers seem to think it's all 'fun and games' to interfere with the innocent people they are paid to protect, but they soon tire of playing the game when they realize they are the ones being paid.

Oh, and do I support you?
I dunno....you tell me.

Bowesmobile

Well I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but he was not giving the reason as a legitimate reason to carry. He was giving it to be contrarian. I was calling at the time to file a complaint against 5 officers who saw fit to surround my family and me at the park for the simple fact that I was carrying a firearm on my hip. I was told that I should get a concealed carry permit so I won't have to deal with such hassles in the future, and being the stubborn and principled person I am I see no reason to pay to exercise a right. The gentle officer I was talking to said they had the DUTY to make sure I wasn't some whack job bent on destruction. It was also obvious that by my firearm being present no one else was free to use the playground equipment next to us. Nevermind the fact that we were surrounded by people who could care less playing with the equipment around us until the officers arrived. So no, he doesn't carry his firearm because sometimes he has to take people's freedoms. He carries his DAMN firearm because sometimes criminals don't want to stop just because you tell them to.

That seems to be a bully mentality. I will force you to do my will or me and my click will make your life miserable. Sad thing is we pay them from our tax dollars.

CharleyCherokee

My bubble is yet unburst, no worries.

If I were you, I'd continue to do as you have done. Heck, you might even consider being cooperative with the nice officers and call ahead of time to let them know where you expect to be and when you expect to arrive so that the nice officers don't have to wait around. Of course, if your schedule should change unexpectedly, I'd also recommend calling the police and advising them of any changes. If you're like me you might change your mind 10-12 times a day. ... or more.
Compliment the nice officers on doing their "duty", see if you can coordinate with him so that you are available the next time he's working; maybe he'll give you his cellphone number so you don't have to tie up 'official lines' - you don't want to overload the system after all, right?
"Would Two O'clock on Tuesday work with your schedule, Officer Friendly? I'll be at the corner booth at the Quizno's on Main St. Unless 3rd and Broad is more convenient for you..?"

Many officers seem to think it's all 'fun and games' to interfere with the innocent people they are paid to protect, but they soon tire of playing the game when they realize they are the ones being paid.

Oh, and do I support you?
I dunno....you tell me.

I'm sorry if I came across hostile or whatever. I know that you were merely playing devil's advocate. If I'm feeling froggy one of these days I'll have to take your advice and "call ahead". :p