• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 year old Transporting AR15

jefft2905

I read VA code 18.2-308.7 but just wanted someone else's second opinion. I am 20 years old, live in Va. Ar15 I have has magazine capacity of 30 bullets, semi-automatic. Does this mean I can legally transport and possess this gun? Also, does the gun needed to be unloaded completely or just not chambered? Thanks

Fallschirjmäger

How old are you? If you are over the age of 18 then the statute does not apply to you.

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

(1993, cc. 467, 494; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995.)

Last edited:

mk4

also worthwhile to read and understand § 18.2-287.4: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4
note that it's applicable only to specific locales, and there is a "perk for a permit". since you're 20, you can't get the "perk".

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

Sheriff

also worthwhile to read and understand § 18.2-287.4: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4
note that it's applicable only to specific locales, and there is a "perk for a permit". since you're 20, you can't get the "perk".

When I first started reading your post, I thought maybe something in the code had changed since you were bringing it up and mentioning the code section. Good thing it didn't...... because I was in Alexandria with loaded weapons a month ago.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I read VA code 18.2-308.7 but just wanted someone else's second opinion. I am 20 years old, live in Va. Ar15 I have has magazine capacity of 30 bullets, semi-automatic. Does this mean I can legally transport and possess this gun? Also, does the gun needed to be unloaded completely or just not chambered? Thanks

No CHP, then over 20 rounds is illegal in certain municipalities:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

ocholsteroc

prev | next

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

So with a CHP I can keep a loaded rifle in my vehicle?
I thought there was another law on that said no?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So with a CHP I can keep a loaded rifle in my vehicle?
I thought there was another law on that said no?

No (sigh)...If you have the CHP, you're special.:uhoh:

After all, CHiPpers have a lot of training, especially with rifles.:rolleyes: