• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8 Surprising Anti-Gun Celebrities

Medic1210

Now for the crazier bit, I'm half-inclined to let the antis get their way. Think about it--current regulations don't stop criminals from acquiring weapons and ammo. Future regulations wouldn't stop freedom fights either from doing the same to overthrow the tyrants. Jus sayin. If that's too crazy for these boards, I'll keep such ideas in my head next time :p

How'd that work out for the UK? You really think it'd be any different here? Unfortunately, the total number of folks that would actually be willing to pick up their guns and fight the government in this day and age would be laughable at best. Just keepin' it real.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Wahlberg aka Marky Mark is reportedly a prohibited person (felon). Apparently the studios go to great lengths to keep him from what the BATF would consider an actual legal type firearm.

Well, yes and no....

When Marky-Mark was 17, he was convicted of attempted murder, and was sentenced to 24 months, but only served 45 days because he was a minor. Under a quirk of MA law, this DOES NOT make him a "convicted felon" and not a "prohibited person".

However, under Federal law, he DOES qualify as a prohibited person.

So he can't purchase a firearm from an FFL, or in any transaction that requires a BATFE Form 4473. But if he purchased a firearm through a private transaction in a jurisdiction where no FFL involvement or NICS check is required, he COULD purchase and possess...

Animus

How'd that work out for the UK? You really think it'd be any different here? Unfortunately, the total number of folks that would actually be willing to pick up their guns and fight the government in this day and age would be laughable at best. Just keepin' it real.

Well we had plenty in 1775. I haven't seen any data to suggest the unlikelihood of a second successful revolt, if ever necessary. Naturally preventing the need would be preferable, but it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world if we failed at that.

Medic1210

Well we had plenty in 1775. I haven't seen any data to suggest the unlikelihood of a second successful revolt, if ever necessary.

Comparing what we had in 1775 to what we have now is kinda ridiculous on so many levels.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Well, yes and no....

When Marky-Mark was 17, he was convicted of attempted murder, and was sentenced to 24 months, but only served 45 days because he was a minor. Under a quirk of MA law, this DOES NOT make him a "convicted felon" and not a "prohibited person".

However, under Federal law, he DOES qualify as a prohibited person.

So he can't purchase a firearm from an FFL, or in any transaction that requires a BATFE Form 4473. But if he purchased a firearm through a private transaction in a jurisdiction where no FFL involvement or NICS check is required, he COULD purchase and possess...

I'm confused. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20) provides, in part, "[w]hat constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held." If the disposition of a case did not result in a "conviction," e.g., an adjudication of delinquency as a juvenile, there is no "conviction" to trigger a federal firearms disability.

XDFDE45

surprised mark wahlberg is on there.
I will NEVER go see a Marky Mark film, or one Clooney's for that matter. Some years ago I was flipping thru the channels and came across the MTV Movie Awards. I stayed only because they were doing a award with the remake of Planet of the Apes". Well Mark and Clueless were presenting and somehow the subject of guns got in there and how EVIL the NRA is and that was when Marky says " Charlton Heston is the REAL criminal." After that I swore off seeing any Wahlberg films as well as Clueless :cuss:.

hjmoosejaw

I have only two things to say about this.

It's rather silly to let one (or even a dozen) opinion(s) fundamentally change how you view or treat a person. Imagine how boring and mentally stagnate life would be without any variety in philosophy or interactions between people who think differently.

Now for the crazier bit, I'm half-inclined to let the antis get their way. Think about it--current regulations don't stop criminals from acquiring weapons and ammo. Future regulations wouldn't stop freedom fights either from doing the same to overthrow the tyrants. Jus sayin. If that's too crazy for these boards, I'll keep such ideas in my head next time
:p

I understand that they may have their own opinion, but what they have that we don't, is a huge platform. They can influence a lot of people with their words. Yes, people need to think for themselves, but not all of them do. A lot of people influenced to hate guns, VOTE.................. Also, I don't understand how letting the antis have their way would benefit us at all.

Animus

It wouldn't benefit us, no, but it wouldn't actually prevent us from owning or carrying guns. The laws have never stopped the criminals from doing it. Banning guns outright would just remove the...conventional methods of obtaining firearms.

Gil223

I understand that they may have their own opinion, but what they have that we don't, is a huge platform. They can influence a lot of people with their words. Yes, people need to think for themselves, but not all of them do. A lot of people influenced to hate guns, VOTE.................. Also, I don't understand how letting the antis have their way would benefit us at all.

The "huge platform" the celebs enjoy for publicly expressing their beliefs, is one shared by politicians. It is commonly known as the "Bully Pulpit", and for good reason. The term is defined by Webster's as:
a prominent public position (as a political office) that provides an opportunity for expounding one's views; also : such an opportunity (Example: She uses her position as a famous actress as a bully pulpit.)
Unfortunately, there are people (primarily the weak-minded and insecure) who are 'into' celebrity worship, and actually believe their favorite celebs are endowed with omniscient powers. :lol: These Internet forums and blogs are our version of that same Bully Pulpit. The primary difference is that we have a high degree of anonymity, and damned few worshipers!. :shocker:

Animus' explanation of his "half- inclination"
to let the anti's have their way
seemed sufficient, but also quite fragile. It has the characteristics of the infamous "double-edged sword". Pax...

Last edited:

Medic1210

Care to elaborate?

Oh, I don't know... Maybe the fact that in 1775, the newly formed military were nothing more than routine civilians who were given a musket and a uniform, and we're fighting to form a country free of England's rule. Today, the military is full of highly trained soldiers with high tech equipment and practically unlimited supply of resources. A back woods militia would stand no chance against the US armed forces.

In 1775, the number of young men willing to die to fight against the tyrants was huge in relation to the population of the colonies as a whole. Today, any militia that goes toeto toe against the US military would be considered domestic terrorists. How many men do you honestly think would be willing to take on the US military in today's society? No, what you have today are a bunch of slacker pansies who think camping out on Wall Street is the way to get things accomplished.

I could go on, but really don't have the desire to explain the obvious ways things are different now than in the colonial days.

Animus

That is, of course, assuming that the military would agree to fight against the people rather than with. No vets I've talked to yet think that's how it would go down.

Last edited:

Gil223

That is, of course, assuming that the military would agree to fight against the people rather than with. No vets I've talked to yet think that's how it would go down.

Put me down as +1. (As I recall, the last Russian "revolution" [1991], had few injuries, and the assembled Russian military either didn't - or wouldn't - fire upon the thousands of Russian civilians in Red Square.) Pax...

Animus

In a martial law scenario, the militarized police forces, TSA, FBI, Homeland Security, etc would be the people we'd have to worry about. Just look at what they're willing to do to the Occupiers. Whether or not you agree with their political ideas is irrelevant, what matters is that the countless videos documenting the encounters clearly show peaceful protests crushed by highly-aggressive riot police. Those will be the enforcers of the gun ban and martial law, not the military.

Medic1210

In a martial law scenario, the militarized police forces, TSA, FBI, Homeland Security, etc would be the people we'd have to worry about. Just look at what they're willing to do to the Occupiers. Whether or not you agree with their political ideas is irrelevant, what matters is that the countless videos documenting the encounters clearly show peaceful protests crushed by highly-aggressive riot police. Those will be the enforcers of the gun ban and martial law, not the military.

You and your militia start shooting FBI, HS, Police, etc, you can bet the military will be activated to deal with the domestic terrorists... And I can promise once you're labeled as terrorists, the military won't be on your side.

Animus

You and your militia start shooting FBI, HS, Police, etc[...]

Who suggested that?

For the record, I'm not trying to start trouble or advising anyone to do anything illegal, just throwing out possible responses to a hypothetical event.

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

It wouldn't benefit us, no, but it wouldn't actually prevent us from owning or carrying guns. The laws have never stopped the criminals from doing it. Banning guns outright would just remove the...conventional methods of obtaining firearms.

I for one, would still have a gun. But if I was stopped in say, a traffic stop. I would much rather have my gun with me legally and be on my way vs. going to prison for 30 years or whatever for having a gun I illegally obtained from a guy on a street corner.

Animus

If the government dropped the banhammer on firearms, how could you own much less carry one legally after that point? To be clear, I'm not talking about picking a $50 piece out of a guy's trunk in a parking lot at 2 am when we still have the 2A and legal means of obtaining weapons. I'm just reminding everyone of a possible solution should the amendment be repealed, and not so we can band together and go storm the White House (though I did mention a coup d'etat). We'd still need a way to protect ourselves, feed our families, etc.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
You might as well add Ted Nugent. At some rally he called people who OC a bunch of idiots. My rant on his facebook page:

"I used to respect TN, but when he said people who open carry are stupid, that went out the window. I thought he supported the 2nd A, not how or what you carry. So: F*** him! (and anybody who is pissed at me for saying this) I don't bash people who CC, I just say carry the way you want as long as it's legal. Rant complete."

hjmoosejaw

If the government dropped the banhammer on firearms, how could you own much less carry one legally after that point? To be clear, I'm not talking about picking a $50 piece out of a guy's trunk in a parking lot at 2 am when we still have the 2A and legal means of obtaining weapons. I'm just reminding everyone of a possible solution should the amendment be repealed, and not so we can band together and go storm the White House (though I did mention a coup d'etat). We'd still need a way to protect ourselves, feed our families, etc.

Yes, we do still have the 2nd amendment. But I don't understand. If you're saying to ban guns. Then we wouldn't be able to have them without doing time upon being caught with one.