Thread: Approached by an LEO's Mom!

Threaded View

Approached by an LEO's Mom!

Yes, it's true! I was sitting at Starbucks on the corner of Garden of the God's Rd. and Centennial this morning, around 11:30, while enjoying a cup of coffee with a friend of mine with whom I'd just spent a couple hours hiking through Palmer Park.

Lo and behold! A kind lady about my age from the table next to me stepped up and said, "Excuse me, my son's a cop, and I'm just wondering what the laws are about your carrying a firearm. I'm not anti-gun or anything. It's just that I don't know. Do you need a permit?"

I thought, "Wow! What an opportunity!" I put on my editor's hat and condensed a little more than two years and 4,000+ posts here on OCDO, and said, "No Ma'am, no permit is required in the State of Colorado for Open Carry. You must be 18 years of age and free of a disqualifying issue, such as a felony or mental condition. In fact, 43 states in our Union allow open carry, and only 15 of those require a permit."

She then asked, "What about concealed carry?" to which I replied, "For concealed the same basics apply, except that you do need a permit and you must be 21 years of age."

Sharp as a tack she observed, "Why the additional scrutiny? Is concealed carry more insidious?"

I thought about that one for a moment and said, "I believe it stems from the late 1800's, following President Lincoln's assassination. Back then, everyone OC'd, and only a few were allowed to CC."

She closed with, "Thank you! I'd never heard anyone explain it so well! I'd much rather see someone carrying out in the open than catch a glimpse of it tucked behind a jacket or in their waistband, as you never know what they're up to! When a person is carrying openly, they're the last person I worry about misusing a firearm!"

"I'm with you on that, Ma'am!" I replied, as she smiled and walked away.

Ok, now really - whose mother or wife here on OCDO was she, really? She must have been a plant!

Interestingly enough, my friend, who knows I carry, spoke up and said, "I didn't even notice you were carrying! Shows you how observant I am. Sheesh!"
    Last edited by since9; 05-15-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Our rights are not subject to "interpretation" by well-meaning but Constitutionally illiterate politicians. They are absolute and unwavering, as are We the People. Some rights are specifically mentioned; many are not. ALL are protected by our Constitution, especially the Ninth and Tenth Amendments

"One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."