Thread: What open carry is actually like vs how police make it sound

What open carry is actually like vs how police make it sound

This matches my experience for the most part:

http://www.newson6.com/story/1840468...en-carry-state

The open carriers said they've rarely had negative reactions from people. They say most people don't even notice, but their guns do seem to attract the attention of children who then alert their parents. There were only five other people in the restaurant when were there and none of them noticed the guns just feet away from them.
    In my experience, children typically stare and ask questions. It has always been an interesting concept to me that children seem to have more situational awareness than their parents.

We had Steve stand on the corner of Main Street with a loaded weapon on his side, out in the open. Dozens of people walked right by Steve without noticing anything. There were a few who seemed to notice the gun and take a second glance but kept on walking. When we added three more open carriers and a child more people seemed to notice the guns. Most we talked to offered support.

"It doesn't bother me," said one man.
    Last edited by Rich B; 05-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

I'm confuzzled... I thought openly carrying arms was supposed to be real Old School, wrath of God type stuff. You know, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

... you mean... it Doesn't happen that way?????

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Hasn't happened to me out here in Western Pennsylvania. I went grocery shopping with my wife at Wally World, wandering all around the store while OCing. Nothing. Not a peep. Made a quick stop at Dollar General on the way home. Again, nothing. Maybe it's the grey hair and the Vietnam Vet baseball cap?

Stood in a check out line yesterday with a WV State Trooper, I got a head nod from him when I walked past him with my stuff. Real bad things happen when we OC.
    Last edited by eamelhorn; 05-16-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

I've said this before. I wonder what people of the "guns scare kids" mindset, think when they see me out with my four kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile
    I wonder what people of the "guns scare kids" mindset, think when they see me out with my four kids?
    I'd guess either:
    A) you've brainwashed them into thinking that guns are OK
    B) you've threatened them & they're more afraid of you than of the gun

Pretty sure that option C never enters their minds...:
    "Maybe I was wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I'm confuzzled... I thought openly carrying arms was supposed to be real Old School, wrath of God type stuff. You know, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Who you gonna call!?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'd guess either:
    A) you've brainwashed them into thinking that guns are OK
    B) you've threatened them & they're more afraid of you than of the gun

Pretty sure that option C never enters their minds...:
    "Maybe I was wrong?"
    on the other hand my kids are cute most people only see them or see what "protector" realy means (at least thats how it goes in my head)
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

OC could be responsible for saving the lives of millions of registered voters.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare