• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What open carry is actually like vs how police make it sound

Rich B

This matches my experience for the most part:

http://www.newson6.com/story/18404685/what-its-like-in-an-open-carry-state

The open carriers said they've rarely had negative reactions from people. They say most people don't even notice, but their guns do seem to attract the attention of children who then alert their parents. There were only five other people in the restaurant when were there and none of them noticed the guns just feet away from them.

In my experience, children typically stare and ask questions. It has always been an interesting concept to me that children seem to have more situational awareness than their parents.

We had Steve stand on the corner of Main Street with a loaded weapon on his side, out in the open. Dozens of people walked right by Steve without noticing anything. There were a few who seemed to notice the gun and take a second glance but kept on walking. When we added three more open carriers and a child more people seemed to notice the guns. Most we talked to offered support.

"It doesn't bother me," said one man.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I'm confuzzled... I thought openly carrying arms was supposed to be real Old School, wrath of God type stuff. You know, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

... you mean... it Doesn't happen that way?????

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Hasn't happened to me out here in Western Pennsylvania. I went grocery shopping with my wife at Wally World, wandering all around the store while OCing. Nothing. Not a peep. Made a quick stop at Dollar General on the way home. Again, nothing. Maybe it's the grey hair and the Vietnam Vet baseball cap?

eamelhorn

Stood in a check out line yesterday with a WV State Trooper, I got a head nod from him when I walked past him with my stuff. Real bad things happen when we OC.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

I've said this before. I wonder what people of the "guns scare kids" mindset, think when they see me out with my four kids?

MKEgal

Bowesmobile said:
I wonder what people of the "guns scare kids" mindset, think when they see me out with my four kids?
I'd guess either:
A) you've brainwashed them into thinking that guns are OK
B) you've threatened them & they're more afraid of you than of the gun

Pretty sure that option C never enters their minds...:
"Maybe I was wrong?"

carsontech

Activist Member
I'm confuzzled... I thought openly carrying arms was supposed to be real Old School, wrath of God type stuff. You know, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

:lol: Who you gonna call!?

Frantic84

I'd guess either:
A) you've brainwashed them into thinking that guns are OK
B) you've threatened them & they're more afraid of you than of the gun

Pretty sure that option C never enters their minds...:
"Maybe I was wrong?"

on the other hand my kids are cute most people only see them or see what "protector" realy means (at least thats how it goes in my head)