• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC: Injured vet’s guns stolen by Metro Police -- will NOT return them

Repeater

Injustice? You decide:

Injured vet’s guns stolen by D.C. Police
By Emily Miller

After being injured on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan, Lt. Augustine Kim spent the night in a D.C. jail for possessing unregistered guns.

After being pulled over, handcuffed, arrested, thrown in jail overnight, his guns were confiscated by the city.

In the end, the platoon leader felt forced to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge, which was later dismissed, but the District still refuses to return to him $10,000 worth of firearms and parts. The national guardsman will deploy to Kosovo this summer.

Mr. Kim, an M1A1 Abrams main battle tank platoon leader, was the liaison officer to a specialized unit in Afghanistan, when he was injured in a vehicle crash. He broke multiple bones on the left side of his face and shattered his right arm. He was medivaced to Germany, where he spent two weeks getting treatment. He then spent three months in and out of the hospital at Walter Reed to get necessary facial surgery to fix his cracked lower orbit.

Before deploying, the soldier had taken his gun collection to his parents’ house in New Jersey for safe storage. At the end of his recovery, he drove to the Garden State to pick up the supply and transport it to his home in Charleston.

He had one Colt Carbine AR15 rifle 6920 5.56/.223, a Beretta 92S in 9mm, a custom Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 caliber. The national guardsman’s hobby is building and working on 1911 models, so he had spare parts, including a frame, barrel and upper receiver.

A valiant soldier who proudly serves our country is being treated like a criminal by the District. The nation owes him gratitude, not harassment for safely transporting guns through the nation’s capital. The lieutenant’s firearms should be returned to him by overnight express -- with a note of apology.

augustine_kim.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Did nobody else notice that he stopped in DC to see a doctor at Walter Reed, and thus lost the protection of FOPA?

Now, since the prosecutor pleaded the multiple felonies down to a single misdemeanor and then dismissed it the question of continuing seizure, amounting to confiscation, becomes problematic for reasons that both the blogoverse and MSM seem to be either avoiding or ignoring - that level of crime do not allow confiscation pending resolution of the charge.

Now you can be bent out of shape for the appropriate reason.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
It is not that hard to avoid DC. Leave guns in safe storage until DC business is complete.

$10,000 worth? And where might one find such storage for a day or three while just passing through?

Bottom line: His right to keep and bear arms was infringed when he was arrested by the D.C. (Dirty Cop) Police, and they're still being infringed upon with their refusal to return his rightful property.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Did nobody else notice that he stopped in DC to see a doctor at Walter Reed, and thus lost the protection of FOPA?

Now, since the prosecutor pleaded the multiple felonies down to a single misdemeanor and then dismissed it the question of continuing seizure, amounting to confiscation, becomes problematic for reasons that both the blogoverse and MSM seem to be either avoiding or ignoring - that level of crime do not allow confiscation pending resolution of the charge.

Now you can be bent out of shape for the appropriate reason.

stay safe.

Yes I did. But what frosts me is the fact that he has not been able to reclaim his property. The DC police are raft with problems and ineptitude when it comes to firearms. Emily Miller has turned up a plethora of festering puss in that organization with her series in the Washington Times.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
SouthernBoy,

I agree with you completely. I just wish folks would be outraged about the 4th Amendment violations, as opposed to claiming his 2A right are/were violated.

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

... I just wish folks would be outraged about the 4th Amendment violations, as opposed to claiming his 2A right are/were violated.
Folks should be outraged by any civil rights violations. Unfortunately some regard that as the the exclusive purview of the hated American Civil Liberties Union.

Malcolm

This has NRA written all over it.

What a bunch of hog wash..How did they even get in his car? I bet they asked if he had firearms. Stories like this make me glad I live in AZ. We have enough of our own problems, but not those kind of problems. between DC and NY city (and state) good luck. Good to hear the prosecutor cut the charge down though. It appears to be very respectful to that vet. My best wishes on getting that gear back.

Ca Patriot

No matter what, when stopped by police the only words you should ever say are "I dont consent to any searches of my persons or property and I will answer no questions without my attorney present"

Daylen

Am I the only one getting sick of hearing about how someone is a vet or active duty or other military when it has nothing to do with the article? I don't like the implication that there should be outrage if a vet is treated badly, but it doesn't matter if other citizens rights are trampled.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Am I the only one getting sick of hearing about how someone is a vet or active duty or other military when it has nothing to do with the article? I don't like the implication that there should be outrage if a vet is treated badly, but it doesn't matter if other citizens rights are trampled.

I consider it is punctuation. The fact that he was a vet may help to drive the point but I do agree that usurpations against any citizen exercising his rights is an injustice. The fact that DC is what it is to me is disgusting and I avoid that cesspool like the plague. It is a welfare city* run by welfare minded scum.

* read that as literal and otherwise with the otherwise being a good deal of the city is rented by the federal government, ergo the term federal city.

Miss Black Rifle Disease

Wouldn't this young man be able to file a civil suit against the DC police Dept? Or is there law on the books there that allows them to keep confiscated weapons even without a conviction?

Aknazer

The way I've always taken these "did X to vet" things was that the following was what they were trying to imply: "Look at what <insert offender here> did to the vet. If they're willing to do X to a vet (who the general public holds as having made sacrifices to defend us and our freedoms) then imagine what they would do to a "regular" citizen. We can't stand for this!"

So it's not as much about the fact that the vet was treated badly, but rather if they are willing to treat a vet like that then imagine how much worse they are willing to treat others.

SovereignAxe

The way I've always taken these "did X to vet" things was that the following was what they were trying to imply: "Look at what <insert offender here> did to the vet. If they're willing to do X to a vet (who the general public holds as having made sacrifices to defend us and our freedoms) then imagine what they would do to a "regular" citizen. We can't stand for this!"

So it's not as much about the fact that the vet was treated badly, but rather if they are willing to treat a vet like that then imagine how much worse they are willing to treat others.

well put. this is exactly how I see it.

twoskinsonemanns

Aknazer;1768097If they're willing to do X to a vet (who the general public holds as having made sacrifices to defend us and our freedoms) then imagine what they would do to a "regular" citizen. We can't stand for this!"[/QUOTE said:
+ 1. great observation