• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where You Can Openly Carry W/O Permit?

The Surgeon

I live here in Oklahoma where Open Carry has just passed. I am currently watching a T.V. station and a news update (Local FOX 25 News here in Oklahoma City) for the 9:00 PM news broadcast has come on twice saying "Were you can openly carry without a permit". Does anyone know what this means? I would assume one would need a permit to open carry anywhere unless on your own private property. Am I missing something here? I am definitely going to be tuning into the 9:00 PM FOX 25 news broadcast to here what this is all about and I will post my findings.

Thanks,

Brian

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Brian,

How about heading over to the Oklahoma subforum and reading up on this law that will not even take effect for 6 months?

stay safe.

hjmoosejaw

Pennsylvania is OPEN CARRY without a permit. But you do need one if you are in your car or in the city of Philadelphia. But if you have an LTCF (license to carry firearms), then you can carry anywhere, OC or CC, in your car, Philly, wherever. Except of course, the usual places, Federal buildings, post offices, courthouses, schools, etc................Have you checked out the MAPS section of OCDO's homepage? There is a lot of helpful info there.

Last edited:

gunslinger493

Arizona has constitutional carry. No permit is required to CC or OC.
If you are entering place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises, you must CC and have a valid permit.

ManInBlack

You can open carry in Idaho without a permit anywhere except a K-12 school. Outside city limits, you can OC or CC in your car without a permit; inside city limits, you need a permit to have a concealed loaded weapon. You can also have a chambered long gun in your vehicle without a permit, so long as it in plain sight.

gobbly

Utah, without one in the pipe (no live round in the path of the firing pin, 2 mechanical actions from firing). If you have a CC permit you can OC with one in the pipe.

The standard exceptions apply: no secure areas in jails, mental institutions, courts, and federal law restricts properly posted federal property, and school zones (a residential permit from the state the school is in exempts this).

ecbaatz

Michigan if you are resident.

But note once you get in a vehicle it is considered concealed even if it was sitting on the dash. Then you have to separate the gun and the ammo and place it where it is not readily accessible.

Also a atv is considered a vehicle so you have to have a concealed pistol license.

Eric

Last edited:

Steveboos

In North Carolina you can Open Carry without a permit.

All Day long, and LEO's don't ever have to know about it, well other than the Plain View Clause. But OC is free and CC costs between $150 and $200, so i'm gonna continue to OC... I love North Carolina.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It would be most easy to look at the map. But let me add the Great State of Washington, no permission to OC, concealed does require a CPL(conpistlic).

1245A Defender

Well,,,

It would be most easy to look at the map. But let me add the Great State of Washington, no permission to OC, concealed does require a CPL(conpistlic).

By my last count,,, yes I looked up each state and made a chart...

"All of us" that are of legal age, that age veries by state, that are not prohibited from owning fire arms, Can legally...
Open Carry a properly holstered fire arm in,,,, 29 States,,, reguardless of your state of residense, without any kind of permission slip!