• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can I deny to show ID or tell my name?

rcav8r

Unless you have a record of some kind, what good is getting fingerprints going to do?
Stupid cop.

If you get arrested for breaking a law that doesn't exist, can you sue him afterwards and win?

HolyOrangeJuice

Unless you have a record of some kind, what good is getting fingerprints going to do?
Stupid cop.

If you get arrested for breaking a law that doesn't exist, can you sue him afterwards and win?

To get a person in the system so if they have future issues and find your fingerprints they have something to match it to.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

as the tittle says, can I deny showing/telling them? reason im asking is because today I was with a friend who was pulled over. the cop told me if I didnt tell him my name I would be charged with obstruction. ... also same goes for when im carrying my gun, do I have to show them?

While legally carrying a concealed weapon -

§175.60(2g) CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON; POSSESSION AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE DOCUMENT OR AUTHORIZATION.

(a) ...
(b) ... a licensee shall have with him or her his or her license document and photographic identification card ... at all times during which he or she is carrying a concealed weapon.
(c) ... a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out−of−state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out−of−state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

While operating a motor vehicle -

§ 343.18 License to be carried; verification of signature.
(1) Every licensee shall have his or her license document, ... , in his or her immediate possession at all times when
operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon demand from any judge, justice or traffic officer.

In general -

§ 968.24 Temporary questioning without arrest.
After having identified himself or herself as a law enforcement officer, a law enforcement officer may stop a person in a public place for a reasonable period of time when the officer reasonably suspects that such person is committing, is about to commit or has committed a crime, and may demand the name and address of the person and an explanation of the person’s conduct. Such detention and temporary questioning shall be conducted in the vicinity where the person was stopped.

968.25 Search during temporary questioning.
When a law enforcement officer has stopped a person for temporary questioning pursuant to s. 968.24 and reasonably suspects that he or she or another is in danger of physical injury, the law enforcement officer may search such person for weapons or any instrument or article or substance readily capable of causing physical injury and of a sort not ordinarily carried in public places by law abiding persons. If the law enforcement officer finds such a weapon or instrument, or any other property possession of which the law enforcement officer reasonably believes may constitute the commission of a crime, or which may constitute a threat to his or her safety, the law enforcement officer may take it and keep it until the completion of the questioning, at which time the law enforcement officer shall either return it, if lawfully possessed, or arrest the person so questioned.

MKEgal

As long as you're just a passenger, & you're not carrying concealed or in a school zone, you don't have to ID yourself.
Remaining silent is not obstruction.
Yes, they can still be jerks & make up false charges & make your life difficult (DAMHIK), but eventually the taxpayers that pay their salary will also be paying you for their misdeeds. :)

paul said:
since the phone is in my pocket, it would be streaming my crotch.
:shocker: BAD mental image. Where's the brain bleach?

Last edited:

sawah

It's amazing how many LEOs can't seem to distinguish between what is lawful under the aegis of a legal traffic stop, where the driver of a car may have committed a minor infraction and a pedestrian on foot, or even a person who is a passenger and thus not 'operating' the motor vehicle. Or...at least they give the impression they can't distinguish, possibly using this apparent confusion on how to do their job as a way to bully the LAC into giving information.

In addition, they have no reason to get this information (fishing expedition). It's a 'cast a wide net' ploy, which goes with the 'cuff and stuff and let a judge sort it out' ploy.

IMO, the cops not only have too much leeway, they abuse the heck out of the system and it's all due to the fact that we criminalize all sorts of behaviors, we let criminals out of jail early due to over crowding, we have permissive parents creating young thugs which roam the streets. And who pays? The law abiding citizen who is treated like a perp for no reason.
/rant

Fallschirjmäger

I wonder if it doesn't come from the courts recognizing that the police aren't truly "professionals".
Professionals have standards and suffer consequences should those standards not be met.

In times past, a professional was a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee. The traditional professions were doctors, lawyers, clergymen and commissioned military officers. Today, the term is applied to architects, accountants, educators, engineers, scientists, technology experts, social workers and many more.

None of the traditional professions were open to someone with only a High School diploma or a GED, which is all that many if not most states require to be accepted as a police officer. Simply put, allowances must be made for the lower education and skill set of those in law enforcement. They cannot be expected to 'know the law' only to 'give it their best guess' and let the true professionals sort it out.

you guys can rant all you want here, i have no respect for some cops. alot of cops iv ran into are way over the top. meaning some abuse the authority that they get im not at all saying its every single cop out there. in all the places iv lived i have only ran into two cops that were decent to me. 1. in hartford wisconsin i met him off duty at a gas station while riding my motorcycle. he was a nice guy i didnt even know he was a police officer we ripped down country roads on our bikes at well over 100 mph. he told me after a day of riding together that he was a police officer for Hartford, all around cool guy. he told me not to do that type of stuff within the city, but rather do it outside on dead roads. we hit it off and road a few times after that because we both had the same model Ninja motorcycle. cop 2. was in olympia? washington, nice guy busted me for having a beer while standing outside a friends house he rote my friend a ticket but let me slide because i was from out of state. other then that my "run ins" with the law always come up with the same thing lac of respect for me what so ever. i was pulled over in Jackson wisconsin 2 days after i moved back to wisconsin i was pulling in my driveway when a cop put on his lights. now it was 2am ( monday night) i just got back from the store. went to get my pregnant girlfriend food ( they love food at odd times of the night) now the cop calls 2 other police officers to come there one had his sirens on. now im thinking crap its 2am iv been in state for 2 days and im at my moms condo with 3 cops behind me in the drive way. i had every person in that condo looking out there windows at me. they treated me like crap and did a pat down on my girlfriend. at this point my blood is boiling from being embarrassed. now it was my moms truck i was driving they gave me 2 tickets one for "illegal tint" on the rear windows of the truck witch was never taken off ticket dropped in court. the 2nd ticket was no insurance 450$ the cops said since i was driving its my responsibility for knowing that. since its a truck no one drives it was never insured. i ended up having to pay that. the next day i walked door to door telling the people in the condo i was sorry for the noise and no one seemed to care about that they just wanted to know what was going on. now forgive me but i hate police, there never willing to listen to my story since im young tattooed they rate me how they would any other thug even though i have no crime record im a regular boring citizen with 2 kids that works a full time job to support my small family but they still want to hand out as many tickets as they can it seems.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Today, the term is applied to architects, accountants, educators, engineers, scientists, technology experts, social workers and many more.
When my office and co-workers sought professional pay status, we were told that the federal OPM requirement was for an organization setting and monitoring professional performance standards.

Last edited:

Sorry, i was on my cell phone at the time. I have really crappy internet threw sprint my computer doesnt like to connect to it.

RR_Broccoli

To get a person in the system so if they have future issues and find your fingerprints they have something to match it to.

My take on it is a "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride" threat to inconvenience him for two days over it.

Which municipality was this? What was the traffic infraction? (Ignore these questions if it's explained in the thread, only half done reading.)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

All veterans are in Automated Fingerprint Identification System along with 70 million from criminal actions, 30 million from civil actions and 100,000 from terrorist lists.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/iafis/iafis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Automated_Fingerprint_Identification_System
Wikipedia said:
Employment background checks and legitimate firearms purchases cause citizens to be permanently recorded in the system.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/BackgroundInfo.htm
Washington State Department of Health said:
Health Systems Quality Assurance, Fingerprint Background Check Information

M

McX

if the officer felt obstructed perhapse you should have offered him a laxative to help him work things out.

a line taken from this video: dont think that 'cause were talking (cop), were friends....i gotta get my hair done like the chick in the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSYzBqA9RA

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice To get a person in the system so if they have future issues and find your fingerprints they have something to match it to.
All veterans are in Automated Fingerprint Identification System along with 70 million from criminal actions, 30 million from civil actions and 100,000 from terrorist lists.

Plus the many tens of thousands who have been printed as a requirement of certain state's CC licensing. :mad: