• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about new OC law

Aknazer

I had a question about required IDs with the just signed law. From here they state
Oklahomans who plan to carry guns openly must also have a handgun license and an Oklahoma ID on them at all times.

and so I'm wondering, what exactly counts as an "Oklahoma ID?" The reason I'm asking is because I'm an Oklahoma resident, I have a UT driver's license (it is where I graduated HS and joined the military from), a UT CWP, and I'm military. I am planning on getting an OK HWP in about 7-8 months, but since I'm military I have no need (and thus no desire) to get an OK driver's license as my UT one doesn't expire until 90 days after discharge. So would the OK HWP count as an "Oklahoma ID" or would I need something in addition to this? Or is the whole "Oklahoma ID" just a bit of bad reporting?

hrdware

I had a question about required IDs with the just signed law. From here they state

and so I'm wondering, what exactly counts as an "Oklahoma ID?" The reason I'm asking is because I'm an Oklahoma resident, I have a UT driver's license (it is where I graduated HS and joined the military from), a UT CWP, and I'm military. I am planning on getting an OK HWP in about 7-8 months, but since I'm military I have no need (and thus no desire) to get an OK driver's license as my UT one doesn't expire until 90 days after discharge. So would the OK HWP count as an "Oklahoma ID" or would I need something in addition to this? Or is the whole "Oklahoma ID" just a bit of bad reporting?

Since you are not an Oklahoma resident, you would fall under the reciprocity agreement currently. Oklahoma does not have a non-resident permit so when you get your OK HWP I believe you would need to take up residency in OK and get a state issued ID (be it a drivers license or just a state issued ID card). This may be a question better answered by the folks at OSBI.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I looled at your new law, as posted here Senate Bill 1733 and got mightily confused. There are a lot of references to various sections of that Act that do not seem to exist. I surely do not want to jinx you Okies, but could those missing sections come back to bite you?

Rather than list every one I ran across, I'll just say that wherever the new law makes a reference to "Section XXXX.XX of this Act" you should go hunting for that section. I did and came up with missing stuff too often to be comfortable with. Many of the references were to "[strike]Oklahoma Self Defense Act[/strike] this Act" if that helps.

stay safe.

Aknazer

Since you are not an Oklahoma resident, you would fall under the reciprocity agreement currently. Oklahoma does not have a non-resident permit so when you get your OK HWP I believe you would need to take up residency in OK and get a state issued ID (be it a drivers license or just a state issued ID card). This may be a question better answered by the folks at OSBI.

That's the thing, I AM an Oklahoma resident, I simply don't have a state issued ID card because I have no need for one atm. Once I moved back to OK in 2011 I changed my residency to OK. Which is why I'm curious if the HWP would count as a state issued ID or not.

rushcreek2

It's just a guess but - perhaps the purpose is to provide for some form of secondary photo I.D.- in case the licensee does not possess a driver license.

hrdware

That's the thing, I AM an Oklahoma resident, I simply don't have a state issued ID card because I have no need for one atm. Once I moved back to OK in 2011 I changed my residency to OK. Which is why I'm curious if the HWP would count as a state issued ID or not.

Since you have to carry both, I doubt the HWP would count as double duty.