• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zimmerman Medical Report Shows Broken Nose, Lacerations After Trayvon Martin Shooting

Animus

I guess the same place they found jurors for the trials of Michael Jackson, Casey Anthony and John Edwards.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No one who has knowledge of the news coverage could serve on the jury anyway.

Where might this mythical pool of jurors be?

I guess the same place they found jurors for the trials of Michael Jackson, Casey Anthony and Jon Edwards.

Not asking you to "guess."

Did these jurors have no knowledge of the news coverage or where they directed to not follow the case and the continued coverage, not to discuss it outside the jury room while sitting on the jury and could they give a fair and impartial judgement based soley on the testimony/facts of the case?

That is decidedly not the same as having no knowledge (prior) of the news coverage.

Animus

Potential jurors may be disqualified from serving on a jury for a variety of reasons. Some reasons may be based on an individual's biases that would prevent him from being impartial. Bias can result from:

•Negative pretrial publicity
•A connection to law enforcement
•Being a victim in a similar case
•A past connection with someone involved in the trial

1. Mandatory Disqualification: Biased Jurors – Any person who “has a state of mind regarding the defendant, the case, or the person alleged to have been injured … that will prevent the juror from acting with impartiality.” (913.03); Any person who “has formed or expressed any opinion or is sensible of any bias or prejudice concerning it.”

Note that the second is actually using Florida law. The court will have to find pretty much the only 12 Floridians who are totally oblivious. If this were happening in TN it would actually be pretty easy >.> there are quite a few tiny, isolated communities out in the mountains where they're still living like it's the '20s. You wouldn't want them on a jury though...you might as well use 5 year olds, at least they'll be more educated (and will probably have more diverse genes if you know what I mean :eek:)

Beretta92FSLady

Note that the second is actually using Florida law. The court will have to find pretty much the only 12 Floridians who are totally oblivious. If this were happening in TN it would actually be pretty easy >.> there are quite a few tiny, isolated communities out in the mountains where they're still living like it's the '20s. You wouldn't want them on a jury though...you might as well use 5 year olds, at least they'll be more educated (and will probably have more diverse genes if you know what I mean :eek:)

We are each our own Universe. You act as if this case is so big that the hundred some-odd million potential jurors out there have been glued to their tubes keeping track of the case. There are plenty of individuals that know little or nothing about the Zimmerman-Martin case.

OC for ME

We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men every day who don't know anything and can't read. - Mark Twain
This will be fun to watch.

OC for ME

We are each our own Universe. You act as if this case is so big that the hundred some-odd million potential jurors out there have been glued to their tubes keeping track of the case. There are plenty of individuals that know little or nothing about the Zimmerman-Martin case.
Hundred some-odd million?....really?

MamabearCali

Case in point. I spoke with my mom last night and she knew next to nothing about the case. She lives in VA--she knew the name Zimmerman and the name Treyvon, but nothing else. She is pretty busy (my dad was laid off) and for the moment is the bread winner in the house. So there are many many people who probably are just living their lives and trying to make it day by day.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That is a very true statement; thank you. And very different from what you said before.

I know I'd be a good juror. I couldn't care less what people look like or where they come from. I don't even own a TV, though do read news from several sources, all of them with a grain of salt.

Both times in my life that I came up for a jury, the trial was canceled. They'll probably choose me again in the middle of the summer when I work 15 hours a day on air conditioners.

twoskinsonemanns

Not that different...

similar difference to

"Hi. Do you have ID? I'm just going to temporally take your firearm while I "check you out" okay?"
VS
"Put your hands in the air! Turn around and face the while while I seize your weapon and ID and check you out!"

wrightme

The issue at trial will likely be "proportional response."

Even though Z was getting his azz kicked, in a fair fight, that Z triggered, if indeed the case, then was his response proportional to the threat?

We shall see.

Who is going to be on the jury?

If they are all black, Z is up the creek.

Cite for proportional response in FL statute?

I will help you out. There isn't a cite for that hogwash. You should actually READ the FL statutes prior to posting.

wrightme

Did Trayvon know that he could've killed Zimmerman? Was that his intention? Teens don't fight to kill. What's more likely is that Trayvon just wanted to teach him a lesson for following him (assuming Zimmerman's account of events is to be believed). He was aiming for assault rather than murder.
Trayvon's intent isn't what will be questioned. What will be questioned is the 'reasonable person' view of the other guy.

Animus said:
I said deadly force would be warranted, but I questioned the necessity of a weapon. If you are snake to unholster and fire a concealed pistol, you're equally as able to block the punches, slip an arm over his shoulder and pull him back into a guillotine and end the fight. Zimmerman's injuries weren't even serious much less debilitating enough to prevent him from defending himself.
If deadly force would be warranted, it is irrelevant which deadly force is chosen. In this case, I would surmise that the deadly force that Z felt would be effective, is the deadly force that he chose to employ.

Ugh, get rid of the ugly font/color stuff. Just makes it icky to read.

Last edited: