• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"A Due Process Right to Record the Police" available for download

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A Due Process Right to Record the Police - downloadable at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2043907

[FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]Washington University Law Review, Vol. 89, No. XXX, 2012[/FONT]

[FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]
Abstract:
[FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]There has been considerable discussion of citizens' First Amendment right to record the police. This essay, however, argues that independent of any First Amendment right, there is also a due process right to record the actions of law enforcement, and that this right applies even when the interaction takes place in private, and not in public places. This question of a due process right to record the police has not yet produced the degree of attention and litigation that public recording has, but the growth of inexpensive recording equipment and its inclusion in smart phones ensures that such attention and litigation are sure to be forthcoming.

[/FONT][FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]Number of Pages in PDF File: 8

[/FONT]
[FONT=Myriad Roman, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif;]stay safe.[/FONT]

Motofixxer

I've also wondered about the issue of a 14th amendment violation. Denying regular people the ability to record is creating a special group that can record but not be recorded. A special class of citizen.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Thanks again for the link Skid, I read the article and and plan on reading it again and again. I knew there was something else there and in some Washington decisions they hint that it don't apply to public officials acting in official capacity, but never expresses it definitively. This paper draws a very good legal conclusion on why we have a due process right to record.