• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation

moonie

I'm coming to TN on vacation on memorial day. I live in NC and have applied for my concealed permit however the end of the 45 day wait period is the Friday we are planning on leaving. Knowing my county Sheriff it will NOT be ready in time for me to take with me. From the reading I've been doing it appears I'll have to be unarmed. It appears I can't have a firearm in the car that I have access to AND have ammo accessible. This is unbelievable to me. Please help me understand this.

Oh Shoot

I'm coming to TN on vacation on memorial day. I live in NC and have applied for my concealed permit however the end of the ... It appears I can't have a firearm in the car that I have access to AND have ammo accessible.

Correct.

This is unbelievable to me. Please help me understand this.

Your 2A rights are infringed upon in every state in the union, just depends on how and how much by state.

- OS

Nascar24Glock

I'm coming to TN on vacation on memorial day. I live in NC and have applied for my concealed permit however the end of the 45 day wait period is the Friday we are planning on leaving. Knowing my county Sheriff it will NOT be ready in time for me to take with me. From the reading I've been doing it appears I'll have to be unarmed. It appears I can't have a firearm in the car that I have access to AND have ammo accessible. This is unbelievable to me. Please help me understand this.

That's pretty much right. About all you can do is have an encased firearm in your trunk (preferably a locked case if your car does not have a trunk) and ammunition that is separate from the gun, neither of which can be "readily accessible" to anyone in the car. Really, other than Oklahoma, Tennessee is the most restrictive state in the "South" concerning the 2nd amendment. Five out of eight of our neighboring states (MO, KY, VA, AL, and your own NC) generally allow open carry on foot without a permit. Seven out of eight of our neighboring states (AR, MO, KY, VA, your own NC, GA, and MS) allow varying degrees of car carry without a permit. Our state allows neither one without a permit. Further, even though we recognize all out-of-state permits, our own TN permit requirements are among the strictest in the country (as far as "shall-issue" states, anyway): $115 fee for a 4-year permit, 21 or older age requirement, 8 hours of training that includes passing both an in-class test and live-fire range test, and up to a 90 day wait period.

I don't know if it will help you in time. But, you could try to get New Hampshire's out-of-state permit (I think it's only $10, is usually issued within a week or two, and requires only a background check with no training). As I said earlier, TN recognizes all permits; and we don't require you to have a permit from your state of residence. For that matter, if you have any children or other relatives age 18 to 20, you might want to encourage them to get it (New Hampshire is one of six states that will unconditionally issue a permit to someone age 18). That would allow them, as I understand it, to carry here.

Nascar24Glock

According to this website NH's non resident changed from $20 to $100 in 2009 and must be mailed:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

edit, and it also states you must be 21.

I checked another website. It appears that the New Hampshire permit is issued to 18 year olds. The website you referenced is talking about the fact that Florida (and any other reciprocity states marked with that asterisk) recognize New Hampshire permits in general but require the permittee to be 21 (i.e., Florida won't recognize a NH permit held by someone age 18-20).

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html See question 3 and note that it applies to New Hampshire.

But, you are right. They did increase the permit fee for a non-resident.

moonie

Just got a call from my Sheriff, my permit is ready so I will not be unarmed in TN. Amazing, today is day 45, I expected them to drag it out longer even though they are required to issue in 45.

Nascar24Glock

Just got a call from my Sheriff, my permit is ready so I will not be unarmed in TN. Amazing, today is day 45, I expected them to drag it out longer even though they are required to issue in 45.

That's good to hear. Let me or the others know if you have any further questions on our laws or if you want some recommendations on places to visit.

moonie

I had a wonderful time in TN over the weekend, I did not open carry as my wife is not in favor of it. She polled the kids about my carrying the gun and was surprised when all 3 of the girls thought it would be a good idea. I carried concealed to keep her happy. This is a step forward as in the past she wasn't real happy about me even carrying concealed.

Now to get her carrying.

rmansu2

Does anyone have any experience in Eagle Cove? I'll be visiting next week for a family reunion.

I'll be doing a little fishing. Any issues with carrying on the water?

moonie

We enjoyed our long weekend so much we are doing it again at the end of this month. Can't wait to come back.