Thread: Multi-state road trip from CA through NV, UT, WY to CO. OC questions.

Question Multi-state road trip from CA through NV, UT, WY to CO. OC questions.

Hi all.

My fiancÚ and I are planning a road trip from our place in the SF bay area to visit her family in Denver, Colorado. I'd like to OC (and/or CC) my P99 and was looking into the different laws for the states we'll be passing through.

Our intended route takes us through Nevada, Utah and part of Wyoming before we get into Colorado. We're planning on spending a night in Salt Lake City each way, but I don't think that changes anything as far as OC/CC is concerned.

Here's what I've gathered:

Notes:
    The standard prohibited areas of courthouses, public office, schools, etc. apply in all 4 states.
    I don't hold any concealed carry permits in any of the states. No time go get one, either.

California:
    OC: nope
    CC: double nope

Nevada:
    CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that NV honors.
    OC: Allowed. Can be loaded (loaded magazine with round in the chamber).

Utah:
    CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that UT honors (all states honored).
    OC: Non-CC holders: Allowed, must be unloaded. Unloaded = "the firearm must be unloaded and require two actions to fire." No loaded round in chamber but magazine may be loaded.

Wyoming:
    CC: Residents can CC without a permit. Non-residents need a permit from a state that WY honors.
    OC: Allowed. Can be loaded (loaded magazine with round in the chamber).

Colorado:
    CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from (must be a resident of) a state that CO honors.
    OC: Outside of Denver: Allowed? Can be loaded? Inside Denver: Not allowed. At all?

Has anybody here traveled to/through any of these states that can provide insight on what I've gathered? Am I generally correct in what I've been able to figure out?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ntnwwnet; 05-16-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Grammar fix
    Walther P99 AS 9mm
    ... loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr

You are OK in most all places in Colorado with the exception of Denver County (don't even try!)

CRS 18-12-xxx covers most of what you need to know, there's also a good FAQ posted here: http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/open-carry

--Rob

Looks like you've got the bases covered --

CA: Unloaded and encased only
    NV: Loaded OC ok. Cannot carry concealed on the person on foot or in a vehicle without a permit. Can be in a glove box or center console however
    UT: Two actions from firing, but can be carried openly. In a vehicle you can carry loaded if you are the vehicle owner or have permission of the vehicle owner
    WY: Constitutional Carry for residents, non residents can OC no problem, CC with a permit. Vehicle carry is unrestricted.
    CO: Outside Denver City and County, Loaded OC is legal without a permit. You MUST conceal in Denver therefore you must have a permit to carry at all -- think Texas style. I think you will not since you are a CA resident. (Non res permits are not valid in Colorado)

Which leads to a question -- can you conceal in a vehicle in Denver without a permit?
    Last edited by acmariner99; 05-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Which leads to a question -- can you conceal in a vehicle in Denver without a permit?
    I don't think so. AFAIK Denver = no OC. Only CC w/ permit.

-----

A follow-up question: Do my spare magazines (2, carried in a holster on my weak side) need to be openly carried as well, or can I conceal them under my shirt?
    Walther P99 AS 9mm
    ... loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr

Quote Originally Posted by ntnwwnet View Post
    I don't think so. AFAIK Denver = no OC. Only CC w/ permit.

-----

A follow-up question: Do my spare magazines (2, carried in a holster on my weak side) need to be openly carried as well, or can I conceal them under my shirt?
    A loaded, concealed handgun is legal throughout CO, including Denver, in your car. That is covered by state preemption. No OC out of the vehicle, as noted, in Denver. Stay out of the PDR of Denver and enjoy the rest of the state.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    A loaded, concealed handgun is legal throughout CO, including Denver, in your car. That is covered by state preemption. No OC out of the vehicle, as noted, in Denver. Stay out of the PDR of Denver and enjoy the rest of the state.
    Lol!! PDR of Denver..

--Rob