• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through NV from CA to Salt Lake City, UT

ntnwwnet

Hi all.

My fiancé and I are planning a road trip from our place in the SF bay area to visit her family in Denver, Colorado. I'd like to OC (and/or CC) my P99 and was looking into the different laws for the states we'll be passing through.

Our intended route takes us through Nevada, Utah and part of Wyoming before we get into Colorado. We're planning on spending a night in Salt Lake City each way, but I don't think that changes anything as far as OC/CC is concerned.

Here's what I've gathered for Nevada:

Notes:
The standard prohibited areas of courthouses, public office, schools, etc. apply in all 4 states.
I don't hold any concealed carry permits in any of the states. No time go get one, either.

Nevada:
CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that NV honors.
OC: Allowed. Can be loaded (loaded magazine with round in the chamber).

Am I generally correct in what I've been able to figure out?

Thanks!

Frantic84

Hi all.

My fiancé and I are planning a road trip from our place in the SF bay area to visit her family in Denver, Colorado. I'd like to OC (and/or CC) my P99 and was looking into the different laws for the states we'll be passing through.

Our intended route takes us through Nevada, Utah and part of Wyoming before we get into Colorado. We're planning on spending a night in Salt Lake City each way, but I don't think that changes anything as far as OC/CC is concerned.

Notes:
The standard prohibited areas of courthouses, public office, schools, etc. apply in all 4 states.
I don't hold any concealed carry permits in any of the states. No time go get one, either.

Nevada:
CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that NV honors.

Thanks!

Sounds correct to me. just for some detail Nevada law defines loaded as a "round in the chamber"

one thing to be careful of would be the federal

Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

ntnwwnet

Thanks for clarifying the "loaded" bit.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

I can't carry on my way out of California. I was planning on pulling over as soon as we got into Nevada and holstering up. Does the federal law require me to have my handgun locked & unloaded when crossing state lines?

Last edited:

Frantic84

Hi all.

Notes:

Nevada:

Thanks!

Sounds correct to me. just for some detail Nevada law defines loaded as a "round in the chamber"

the link below will cover every state
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

Frantic84

Thanks for clarifying the "loaded" bit.

I can't carry on my way out of California. I was planning on pulling over as soon as we got into Nevada and holstering up. Does the federal law require me to have my handgun locked & unloaded when crossing state lines?

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof" this part may help with some state borders

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

No. Only the individual state laws apply when crossing borders. Once in NV, you can carry right on into UT. However, without a license that UT recognizes (which is any government's), UT does not allow a loaded round in firing position while carrying in public. There is a specific UT law that allows you to have your handgun fully loaded in the vehicle, however.

ntnwwnet

No. Only the individual state laws apply when crossing borders. Once in NV, you can carry right on into UT. However, without a license that UT recognizes (which is any government's), UT does not allow a loaded round in firing position while carrying in public. There is a specific UT law that allows you to have your handgun fully loaded in the vehicle, however.

I see. Good to hear.

I was planning on carrying in condition 3 from NV until Denver to avoid having to clear the round in the chamber once getting out of the car in Utah.

ntnwwnet

A follow-up question: Do my spare magazines (2, carried in a holster on my weak side) need to be openly carried as well, or can I conceal them under my shirt?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Only the firearm need not be concealed. You can do anything you want with the magazines.

Also, the law that allows your handgun to be loaded in the car also allows it to be concealed on your person (without a license), but again, only while in the car. It applies to every adult over 18, too. You don't hear of any college kids getting car-jacked in UT.