• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the latest news on HB 5225?

Yooper

Are Michigan gun owners so beat up into the ground that they have no idea how bad they have it??? Yes

Couldn't agree more! I lived in CO where open carry is legal, there is no PTP/Registration, OC/CC of a handgun is legal in a vehicle with no permit. CC is legal while hunting W/O a permit. Shotguns/rifles can be anywhere in a vehicle not in a case, provided there is not a round in the chamber (loaded mag/clip/tube is ok), and databases of firearms, owners, and transfers (unless by a FFL) are prohibited by state law.

Bronson

I say bump everything down a notch. No purchase permit or registration and the current PP (minus the registration component)system becomes the new CPL system.

Bronson

Last edited:

TheQ

No comprende. Eliminate registration and the state level BG check for purchase and the current system for issuing PPs becomes the new system for issuing CPLs, so there would be fewer disqualifying convictions.

Bronson

And it would nicely solve the 18 USC 922 problem.

Last edited:

TheQ

You'd be protected from the Federal GFSZ as long as you had it or a CPL. It's not tied to a gun like a PP, rather it's tied to you!

Thus "Firearm OWNER ID"

stainless1911

Banned
^^ Thats more like it.

I was afraid of a mess like now. For example, if you get an LTP and register, you are (possibly) ok with the GFSZ. However, if you move to a different state, and buy the same make/model gun for example, and come back to visit, only the gun that was registered in MI would be covered under the (possible) GFSZ exemption. The other would not be covered, as there was nothing done that might qualify as an exemption.

Licensing the person, as you pointed out, would qualify that person to use their rights with each of their arms.

Last edited:

Jared

So basically we are at exactly where I said we would be at. Gun owners being their own worst enemy.... nothing ever improving in this state.... one of 4 states stuck with registration.

Who needs the Brady Campaign in Michigan when we actually have gun owners who can do their job for them.