• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Central Ohio - A month wait vs 3 days, from app to permit.

Freth

My brother and I went together to class and then both set about applying for the permit. He was able to get ahold of the local sheriff's office (Delaware County) and get scheduled. I made the mistake of leaving a message and waited for a call-back. Days later I decided to call and finally reached someone to schedule an appointment. My appointment ended up being two weeks out. In between the time I scheduled the appointment and my actual appointment, my brother decided to go to Franklin County and schedule there. He was able to get his application in and had a permit in three days! After waiting two weeks, I was finally able to apply. Three weeks later the call finally came that my application was accepted and I then had to schedule another date, again, two weeks out. Today is the day I go to get my permit at the Delaware County Sheriff's Office, finally!

If you don't want to wait a month or more and you're in the area, you should definitely go for Franklin County for the quickest turn-around. Delaware County moves at a snail's pace. It took exactly a month, April 17th app day to May 17th permit day, to get my permit. That's not counting the two week wait just to drop off my application. Per the rep at Delaware County, they have 45 days to get the process done and the background check varies depending on how long it takes to check the addresses you lived, etc.

At any rate, it's done and I'm glad today is finally the day I get my permit, but it's been a long wait and I can't say I'm happy with the difference between the two counties. Had the timing been different, I would've went with Franklin County instead.

Last edited:

William Fisher

I live in Butler County and I got in to apply just a couple days after getting my Certificate from the class I took. Got finger printed, photographed and picked up license the next day.