• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill to redo Stand Your Ground in Michigan.

TaurusRanger

I don't know what to say. Wow.:confused:

I have 2 kids ages 2 and 4. I will have a newborn next week. Anyone who has kids can agree that when you need them to move fast, they generally don't. If yours do, congrats. While I'm retreating I have to take them with me. This takes time. By the time I get to them to even attempt to get them out of the way shots may have been fired against us. They may have stabbed one of us. so on and so forth. The Castle Doctrine is the only thing that allows me to "legally" have a fighting chance.

I will be putting in a call come morning. Stand your ground law must not be removed.

jrt0827

Hello,

I've been reading this forum without signing up for about two months now. I really enjoy the information and general atmosphere here so I kept following the posts. Today I woke up to enjoy my morning caffeine and read the news and was horrified to hear about discussion of repealing the stand your ground law. I immediately checked here hoping to see a thread about it and because I was so angry I had to finally join.

I cannot believe the ignorance of these politicians. In the MyFox Detroit article I posted below the dozen Michigan law makers proposing this repeal are quoted saying:

"Michigan's went into effect on October 1, 2006. Now, these politicians say they're not aware as of yet that this law has lead to any unnecessary violence, but they want to prevent it from happening."

So let me get this straight. There have been no known incidents of unnecessary violence as a result of this bill, but you want to repeal it? In 2011 in Detroit there were approximately 344 murders, (http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2011/11/2011-detroit-homicides-january-thru.html), which makes me wonder what they consider unnecessary violence? In my opinion a murder is when a bad guy takes the life of an innocent person. A justified act of self defense is when a citizen takes the life of a bad guy to save their own, or the lives of others. How would these politicians define unnecessary violence, and more importantly how would they make the connection to the stand your ground law?

If a bad person has a CPL and follows and murders someone in cold blood, they did not murder someone simply because they had a CPL and the stand your ground law exists. They would have just as easily carried the pistol that was legally registered to them and killed the person even if stand your ground didn't exist. The same goes for stolen/illegal weapons used in the commission of a crime, the bad guys don't care about the laws. It's not as if people who do not have criminal records and qualify for a CPL never commit crimes. I know this is nothing new to you guys, but I had to get this off my chest. We need more armed citizens who are law abiding and responsible.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/stand-your-ground-law-repeal-proposed-20120517-ms

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

This is easy to address. Start a recall camapaign against these reps. We did it in the early 1980's, so why not now?

BREAKING NEWS: Rep. Bledsoe, Rep. Stanley and Rep. Oakes are planning a press conference to announce the introduction of their legislation to repeal the Castle Doctrine this afternoon immediately following House session in Room 428 of the Capitol Building at Lansing. The press release indicates that the bill introduction is in response to the Constitutional Carry rally that MCRGO Attorney Steve Dulan will be speaking at on Saturday.

From MCRGOs facebook page.

The organizers of the rally are getting some media interviews since this was announced. Show up Saturday to protest the BILL as well as support Con Carry.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
What this really is - A ploy to get free media & name recog. before Nov. Elections!

This cross eyed goof is just doing this to get re-elected (he thinks).

Warning reading linked info. may induce nausea!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Bledsoe

Stanley was recalled as Flint Mayor in 2002!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Stanley

Oakes is the female PC face they've got.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacy_Erwin_Oakes

Also note, where the other two Reps. that are pushing this are from: FLINT & SAGINAW! Two very high crime areas (mini Detroits) Funny how those who represent people who need to be able to defend themselves more than ever are always trying to deny them the right to do so???

Last edited:

Bronson

the other two Reps. that are pushing this are from: FLINT & SAGINAW! Two very high crime areas

And according to a recent Forbes article both of those cities are in the top ten in the NATION for violent crime against women. So in my mind repeal of "no duty to retreat" amounts to an attack on women. Pro self defense laws have the greatest effect for those that are typically physically smaller and weaker...namely women and the elderly. To refuse them the ability to have the tools and legal protections to be able to defend themselves is unconscionable.

Somebody needs to ask, in a public venue, why Stanley, Bledsoe, and Oakes, are sponsoring legislation designed to harm women and the elderly.

Bronson

TaurusRanger

And according to a recent Forbes article both of those cities are in the top ten in the NATION for violent crime against women. So in my mind repeal of "no duty to retreat" amounts to an attack on women. Pro self defense laws have the greatest effect for those that are typically physically smaller and weaker...namely women and the elderly. To refuse them the ability to have the tools and legal protections to be able to defend themselves is unconscionable.

Somebody needs to ask, in a public venue, why Stanley, Bledsoe, and Oakes, are sponsoring legislation designed to harm women and the elderly.

Bronson

I agree. The logic makes sense. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how they answer that question?

OneForAll

I agree. The logic makes sense. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how they answer that question?

I bet they will not even acknowledge the question. If they would quit going after guns, and start going after crime, honest people would not have to make decisions at 2:00 in the morning. These politicians need to be recalled.

stainless1911

Banned
I think that if this passes, normally law abiding citizens will either get hurt by the criminal, or might actually (to use their word) become a vigilante, and make sure the person doesnt survive to testify, or worse, try to hide or change the evidence, or fail to notify law enforcement. It could turn into a real mess.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I bet they will not even acknowledge the question. If they would quit going after guns, and start going after crime, honest people would not have to make decisions at 2:00 in the morning. These politicians need to be recalled.

One of them was...good old Woodrow (insert Sanford & Son video here, He even looks like Fred) Ex-Mayor of Flint.

These dirt-bags are like a bad butt rash...just when you think you got rid of their pain in your A$$, they pop back up with a vengeance...Eeewww!

[video=youtube;1WqazleR3FE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE[/video]

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

In my not so humble and certainly not politically correct opinion.... those who sponsored, and support, this abomination of a bill that elevates the criminal above victims have made public their support of criminals beating innocents, their support for criminals raping the aged, and their support for criminals terrorizing/murdering/raping children who cannot escape the determined attack from a criminal.

In short... they have publicly stated they believe the innocent have no right to protect themselves from being beaten, murdered, and raped, by criminals.

And... they have shown their true colors of hoping to garner the spotlight by cloaking their support of criminals by ghoulishly capitalizing on the Zimmerman/Trayvon tragedy.

I have nothing but disgust... deep abiding disgust... for all those connected with this bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bailenforcer

Any politician who supports this is no better than the very criminals they are supporting, they are one of the same mindset, and they do not deserve to feed off of the tax payers hard earned money, no more than criminals, deserve the booty the steal.

RECALL them.

In my not so humble and certainly not politically correct opinion.... those who sponsored, and support, this abomination of a bill that elevates the criminal above victims have made public their support of criminals beating innocents, their support for criminals raping the aged, and their support for criminals terrorizing/murdering/raping children who cannot escape the determined attack from a criminal.

In short... they have publicly stated they believe the innocent have no right to protect themselves from being beaten, murdered, and raped, by criminals.

And... they have shown their true colors of hoping to garner the spotlight by cloaking their support of criminals by ghoulishly capitalizing on the Zimmerman/Trayvon tragedy.

I have nothing but disgust... deep abiding disgust... for all those connected with this bill.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

Simply a denial of our basic human rights; LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This is the agenda, take out the Second Amendment, and the rest will fall easily (no armed opposition).

TheQ

I'll be writing a Legislative Action Alert in this bill later this evening. Stay tuned.

It's DOA, but we still want to make a big stink.

Outdoorsman

I received an email back from Rep. Charles Smiley (50th District)...

"xxxxx

Thanks for writing to me regarding this potential law change.

I do not support a repeal of this law. I don't see it happening but I will be
sure to keep my out for it.

Charlie

Charles Smiley
State Representative
50th House District

Ph: (517) 373-3906
Toll-Free (855) CSMILEY
Fax: (517) 373-5812
charlessmiley@house.mi.gov" :)

Scotchman

Shame on Them!

I just wrote Ellen Cogen Lipton (D-Huntington Woods) to give her a "For Shame" for signing onto this. I am embarrassed by her, the Levins, and Stabenow! I feel like I am in another country sometimes. These four are constantly sponsoring tax-payer waste or promoting criminal-safety. Which is all this current attempt actually does. Detroit Needs HELP in helping itself, not handcuffs designed to prevent it!