Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a gun at home

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Who needs a gun at home

These are two Copperheads that won't be biting any more Great Danes.
    They were on my front walk. I'm going out tonight and turn over stump, log and branch for a hundred yards,

My head count for the yr is six:

The last was taken on my porch, she wass sitting on the first step. Some how she missed both the dogs but she damn near got me (hit my shoe).
    I had to repair part of the porch after my ears quit ringing...

The mild winter and the warm, raining days have really made them more of a problem this yr
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post

The last was taken on my porch, she wass sitting on the first step. Some how she missed both the dogs but she damn near got me (hit my shoe).

The mild winter and the warm, raining days have really made them more of a problem this yr
    Every blasted year I get them. Normally they're pretty tame but it's mating season and they get downright nasty.

Caliber and ammo you shot them with?

I had a baby at the end of the driveway and one in my neighbours last year.

I saw a 10 inch or so water moccasin on the street a week ago.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-17-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post

I had a baby at the end of the driveway and one in my neighbours last year.

I saw a 10 inch or so water moccasin on the street a week ago.
    22 snakeshot. I keep a loaded rifle on the porch just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    22 snakeshot work good in a handgun?
    I have it loaded in my 22 handgun but no idea how well it will work out of a small barrel.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I never found it all that effective out of anything unless I was close enough to just club them anyway. YMMV.

I have it loaded in my 22 handgun but no idea how well it will work out of a small barrel.
    It won't cycle a semi but it works fine out of a revolver. It's good out to about ten feet, a tad less out of a handgun.

how's about some of these, Mr. Nap: http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-Saf...00/500/Product
    i like the blue-tips!

“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post

Shoe? I've never known you to wear shoes. When did that start? Oh, let me guess... when venomous snakes started getting too close for comfort.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Shoe? I've never known you to wear shoes. When did that start? Oh, let me guess... when venomous snakes started getting too close for comfort.
    the snakes might also make him think about long pants too

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    the snakes might also make him think about long pants too
    If sub freezing weather can't do it...I doubt a few snakes can.

The Box O' Truth recommends something a bit larger than .22 http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The Box O' Truth recommends something a bit larger than .22 http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

stay safe.
    The snakes don't seem to know the difference between ...dead by 22 and ...dead by 44
    My ear drums do though!

I think you should turn those two little fellas into a collar for Zeus. Poetic justice, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I think you should turn those two little fellas into a collar for Zeus. Poetic justice, you know?
    I think Zeus has been close enough to them for one week. Between the IV's, shots and sitting up with him around the clock changing cold compresses every fifteen minutes, I'll be happy if he never gets near one again.

The snakes don't seem to know the difference between ...dead by 22 and ...dead by 44
    My ear drums do though!
    I'm just shocked that you actually own a firearm with a caliber smaller then .45....

My son got me a Taurus Judge for my b/day last year. I keep 2 .410 6 shot for my frist 2 rounds just for copper heads, so far havent saw any, but have gave afew garder snakes a stay of exacution. I dont shot them, but they may want to start running.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Zeus doesn't wear a collar.

Now something with a cinch and belly band might be more in keeping.

When Peter needs to rein him in, he just grabs him by the halter.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    I'm just shocked that you actually own a firearm with a caliber smaller then .45....
    Nature , a good looking exchange teacher and genetics have caused a few problems shooting real guns lately

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I never found it all that effective out of anything unless I was close enough to just club them anyway. YMMV.

I keep a batch of .38 rounds for when I'm out in the swamp or deep woods doing recon for a survey. I've never had to use them, but I'm thinking when the new homestead is finished at the end of the month that may change. I've amassed a sizable woodpile out the back...
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I shot with what I had on hand, Springfield 1991-A1 longslide (converted to 460 Rowland), didn't want to try and step over it again to get something smaller and I did want her to disappear before I got back from my walk. Unlike the FL and Culpeper shootings I couldn't afford to let this suspect (known killer) go to be caught later.

Sandal's are considered a style of shoe are they not? However, I had sneakers on as we were heading out for a 5 mile walk.

I'm accustom to seeing posinous snakes, having lived in southern NV (just off Mt Charelston) for 19 yrs.
    I now keep a 22LR handy.

My brother's friend recently lost one of his fingers picking up a rattler he thought he had killed (smashed it with a hoe), it wasn't done just yet and bite his middle finger.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-18-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Peter, if you adjust the aim more toward the head, they do make nice wallets, belts and such. And they taste like chicken!

May IS snake month in Virginia. As you note, they are actively looking to mate.

Of course, spreading your grain buffet for the wild critters draws in their favorite food too! I would suggest a guard cat for Zeus. Put the cat out on point, and if it gets hit----get another cat.

Seriously, I hope the dog has a good recovery. Hematoxins can be nasty.

Thankfully I've never seen anything like that near my house. I'm just saying....really don't care much for snakes.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    Thankfully I've never seen anything like that near my house. I'm just saying....really don't care much for snakes.
    They're incredible edibles.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast