• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is Best Buy's company policy on open carry?

ShooterMcGavin

I had a great experience at Best Buy last week. This week, as I was about to buy several items, I was asked to put my gun in my car. I should have asked for the employee's name. I left and drove away. He did tell me that it was company policy that firearms are not allowed.

What is the company policy on this matter?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Best Buy follows state law. There are a couple people that work at a best buy that post here.

tombrewster421

Ask Technoweenie, he used to work there and has all the cites. In short, customers can carry. He was most likely quoting the employee handbook that says HE can't have a gun while working. Techno used to carry there when he was off work and there as a customer.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I just got back from BB getting my computer looked at, and no one said squat. I've been in the Lacey BB numerous times with no problem.

ShooterMcGavin

I open carried in the same store last week and 3 employees had positive comments on my firearm. I was impressed last week but the guy who kicked me out had a chip on his shoulder.

jt59

I have always OC'd at BB in both the store up on South Hill in Puyallup as well as the store of the 38th street mall....never any questions or comments.

Tawnos

this was at the best buy in bellevue

I was there OC before. Somebody tried approaching me, claiming BS about it being company policy and how they're a private store and can ban what they want. I said "sure, I understand, I only request you go call your corporate security guys or district manager and ask them what Best Buy's corporate policy is. Because along with Wal Mart, Home Depot, Starbucks, and a host of other stores, Best Buy has been mentioned in multiple news articles as being a company that follows state law. If you feel comfortable violating your own store's policy to kick a customer out, I will give you the stuff I picked up to buy today, and I will leave."

The guy looked at me, said "I'll be back in a minute". We browsed movies for about 15 minutes, and never saw him again. Ended up buying the games and blu rays I went in for.

The point: Best Buy in Bellevue seems to have a hard time understanding their own policies. However, make it clear that you know them, and ask them to verify while being willing to walk out and not buy anything, and they'll go away.

For me, the harassment only happened once, and has never happened since (it was 2-3 years ago it happened, maybe they forgot).

ShooterMcGavin

Here is the latest from my encounter...
I called the corporate number to speak to someone. I waited on hold for a long time, but finally spoke to a woman. I told her what happened and her comment was ...odd. When I told her that I was asked to leave because of my firearm, she responded "that sounds correct". I asked, "is that your opinion, or might you have heard of that being the policy at some point?". She responded "I don't know, but it doesn't sound like you can do that". I asked "what state do you live in?". Her: "Minnesota". I asked, "can you legally open carry a firearm in Minnesota?". She told me "no". I stated, "then, you would probably be correct that Best Buy in Minnesota does not allow the open carry of firearms, just as the law does not", as I was thinking 'duh'.

She told me she would look into the corporate policy and call me back before the end of the day tomorrow. Here is where it got good... About 5 minutes later my phone rang. I answered and the caller told me he was the store manager at the Bellevue Best Buy. He had heard that I was asked to leave, by the associate who had asked me to leave earlier in the day, and then the corporate office must have contacted him regarding my call - I have an account with Best Buy and they were able to look up my info when I called in. He informed me that the employee who had asked me to leave was new and had come here from another state which doesn't allow the carry of firearms. He just assumed what was the policy, and then asked me to leave. The manager corrected the issue with the employee and he welcomed me to return. He also asked that I please ask for him by name if I ever have any problems in his store. He was very polite and friendly. I really appreciated that he took the time to call me personally and clear things up. I will be happy to return to the store. I will probably ask for him when I go there and thank him for making the clarification to his employees.

One thing that the manager said that was not correct, regarding state law and firearms carry in a private establishment was, he said "if it was marked 'No Firearms', I'm sure you wouldn't have come inside". He went on speaking, so I did not get a chance to inform him of the non-effectiveness of 'No Firearms' signs in WA state. Oh well.

Crisis averted. Thank you all!

tletourneau

I know this is about a Best Buy in WA. I just wanted to say that open carry is legal in Minnesota with a permit to carry. I have OC'd in several Best Buy locations in MN with no issues.

Sent from my EVO 4G

Lovenox

One thing that the manager said that was not correct, regarding state law and firearms carry in a private establishment was, he said "if it was marked 'No Firearms', I'm sure you wouldn't have come inside". He went on speaking, so I did not get a chance to inform him of the non-effectiveness of 'No Firearms' signs in WA state. Oh well.

Crisis averted. Thank you all!

Why is that incorrect? If a store manager wishes to go maverick and disavow corporate policy then it is NOT your prerogative to enter the store after knowingly seeing the sign. The fight isn't yours, it is between the store manager and the corporate office. That store manager is the captain of the ship and what he or she says goes. The police wouldn't care about "corporate policy" if you were asked not to come into the store via the sign and you blatantly disregarded it then you are trespassing.

ManInBlack

Why is that incorrect? If a store manager wishes to go maverick and disavow corporate policy then it is NOT your prerogative to enter the store after knowingly seeing the sign. The fight isn't yours, it is between the store manager and the corporate office. That store manager is the captain of the ship and what he or she says goes. The police wouldn't care about "corporate policy" if you were asked not to come into the store via the sign and you blatantly disregarded it then you are trespassing.

His point is that proceeding past a sign is not, by itself, enough for a trespassing or any other charge in Washington. You must be verbally asked to leave, and refuse.

Lovenox

His point is that proceeding past a sign is not, by itself, enough for a trespassing or any other charge in Washington. You must be verbally asked to leave, and refuse.

So if I encroach on someone's property in full view of a "Do not Enter, Private Property" sign that I have a pass until told to leave? Then of what use is the sign?? Especially when conspicuously placed? Is there a specific RCW that covers this?

ManInBlack

So if I encroach on someone's property in full view of a "Do not Enter, Private Property" sign that I have a pass until told to leave? Then of what use is the sign?? Especially when conspicuously placed? Is there a specific RCW that covers this?

[h=2]RCW 9A.52.070[/h][h=1]Criminal trespass in the first degree.[/h]
(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
[2011 c 336 § 372; 1979 ex.s. c 244 § 12; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.52.070.]

[h=2]RCW 9A.52.080[/h][h=1]Criminal trespass in the second degree.[/h]
(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.
[2011 c 336 § 373; 1979 ex.s. c 244 § 13; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 §9A.52.080 .]

[h=2]RCW 9A.52.090[/h][h=1]Criminal trespass — Defenses.[/h]
In any prosecution under RCW 9A.52.070 and 9A.52.080, it is a defense that:

(1) A building involved in an offense under RCW 9A.52.070 was abandoned; or

(2) The premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises; or

(3) The actor reasonably believed that the owner of the premises, or other person empowered to license access thereto, would have licensed him or her to enter or remain; or

(4) The actor was attempting to serve legal process which includes any document required or allowed to be served upon persons or property, by any statute, rule, ordinance, regulation, or court order, excluding delivery by the mails of the United States. This defense applies only if the actor did not enter into a private residence or other building not open to the public and the entry onto the premises was reasonable and necessary for service of the legal process.

Washington state law does not make carrying a firearm past a no guns sign illegal. No other unlawful behavior was committed. Since the business is open to the public, and it is reasonable to believe a merchant would follow state law regarding firearms, there is a pretty strong defense to any allegation of trespassing until being directly told to leave, and refusing.

Tawnos

There's a difference between private property that is private and private property that is open to the public.