• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those interested...

mpguy

I work at Albert G. Horton Veteran cemetery. Friday for memorial day, we will be helping out the scouts, and veterans, put out flags on all of our fallen soldiers resting place. If any one is interested in coming to help, please do. Also, that Monday, the holiday,we will be hosting a ceremony in honor if those who have fallen.

Hope to see some of you there. Its located in Suffolk VA, on 5310 Milners rd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Remind us what the order of the day is there, OC, CC, NC (No Carry)?

Per http://www.dvs.virginia.gov/cemetery_horton.shtml it is a Virginia Department of Veterans Services facility. Nothing on their website indicates a rule about banning O/C Carry. Being a state agency DVS is not constrained by preemption. Asking them ahead of time will just get them to say "No".

If you do OC be prepared for some questioning looks and a possible interaction with facility staff and/or State Police. (If local cops show up ask them politely and gently how they presume to have jurisdiction. They just might have some cooperative agreement with the State Police.)

But then, whenever we OC we are prepared (mentally and with digital recorder) for any possible interactions, aren't we?

Hopefully some of the Scouts in attendance will ask you for a lesson in freedom.:)

stay safe.

mpguy

Per http://www.dvs.virginia.gov/cemetery_horton.shtml it is a Virginia Department of Veterans Services facility. Nothing on their website indicates a rule about banning O/C Carry. Being a state agency DVS is not constrained by preemption. Asking them ahead of time will just get them to say "No".

If you do OC be prepared for some questioning looks and a possible interaction with facility staff and/or State Police. (If local cops show up ask them politely and gently how they presume to have jurisdiction. They just might have some cooperative agreement with the State Police.)

But then, whenever we OC we are prepared (mentally and with digital recorder) for any possible interactions, aren't we?

Hopefully some of the Scouts in attendance will ask you for a lesson in freedom.:)

stay safe.

This. My supervisor, and three Co- workers carry. I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

mpguy

Wanting to give a small update. It as of now will be starting around 3-3:30pm. Will post a update if the time changes.

mpguy

Another update, flags will be starting to get put out at 4pm Friday. Soon as I find out about Mondays adventures, I'll post it here.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why did this get moved to general discussion? It is Virginia specific and open carry is being discussed in conjunction with the OP. I won't be able to make it but it seems like a worthwhile event and I hope it goes well.

Sig229

If I lived closer to you, I would definitely help out.

However, if there are any members in the S.W. Pennsylvania or northern West Virginia area doing this let me know so I can help out.

Last edited: