• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I used to work at this hotel, on this shift...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And with your response likely sending the robbers fleeing, we'd have never heard about it on any news reports, either.

I take it you are "Winston Smith?"

Medic1210

Just curious, but what was your company's policy regarding employees carrying? I don't know if I would have been so quick to identify yourself as the past night auditor, and admit to carrying on the job if it was against policy. I mean, I don't guess there's anything they could do to you now, but future references could be different after the management reads this story's comments. Just a thought. Not dogging you for choosing to carry on the job. Just wouldn't be so quick to call yourself out unless it was cool with the company.

Captain Spankz

Dunno how many employers troll through the opencarry.org forums to find info on their applicants... Atleast I know my past ones did not :) Not trying to bash you but I think that whole "Be careful" is a bit extreme. Odds are if the employer knows about this forum odds are he's gonna be carrying anyways *If allowed by company policy*

PrestonW

Dunno how many employers troll through the opencarry.org forums to find info on their applicants... Atleast I know my past ones did not :) Not trying to bash you but I think that whole "Be careful" is a bit extreme. Odds are if the employer knows about this forum odds are he's gonna be carrying anyways *If allowed by company policy*

I think it might have been more in relation to leaving a comment on the news article about it. I could see management of a place looking at a news article about themselves.

Dreamer

Ah well I definitely agree to that :)

That job was an "in between" job while I was attending graduate school. I hope NEVER to work in a job again that has ANYTHING to do with the "hospitality" industry, ESPECIALLY a night-shift job. In the year I worked there, there were 2 drug busts, a "gang" rape, an attempted suicide with a handgun, several "shots fired" incidents, and more bar fights than I care to remember. I was assaulted once by a drunken redneck woman, and had a shot fired into the air in the parking lot after I told some hooligans to quiet down at 3am (I wasn't carrying that time--before I got my permit). I wouldn't take that job again--or one like it--for TEN TIMES what I was getting paid, unless I could OC, and had a signed consent agreement to do so from the owner...

The owner knew I carried. The site manager knew I carried. The local PD, Sheriff's department, and ALE agent knew I carried (I had to "notify" them a few times, when they reported for other "incidents" and wanted to talk to me about anything I'd seen.)

This business is a franchise, and the employees handbook didn't say anything about it...

It was never an issue whole I worked there. I can't see how it would be an issue now, ESPECIALLY since I never intend to use that job as a "reference".

And anyway, "Winston Smith" is a pseudonym, and there is nothing in that profile that identifies me...

Last edited:

FoxFireArms

So im sitting at a Hotel i workar right now. I work the 11pm to 7am shift and i have already almost gotten stabed been in a fist fight and had my walet stolen, i open carry everwhere and when i asked my boss about carrying here at the hotel he said not a chance. is there any type of law that i could use to get around this, because i would sure feel a lot safer. I dont mind useing my hands on a few people when needed but when the guy pulled a knife on me there was nothing i could really do.

dmatting

So im sitting at a Hotel i workar right now. I work the 11pm to 7am shift and i have already almost gotten stabed been in a fist fight and had my walet stolen, i open carry everwhere and when i asked my boss about carrying here at the hotel he said not a chance. is there any type of law that i could use to get around this, because i would sure feel a lot safer. I dont mind useing my hands on a few people when needed but when the guy pulled a knife on me there was nothing i could really do.

Their property, their business, they call the shots there. Of course, there is nothing saying that you MUST work there - except for the crappy job market...

Have you asked him whether you could carry concealed? Since you've already been attacked previously, the manager should take this into consideration. If they don't allow you to protect yourself, what type of protection are they providing for you? It is either non-existent or not sufficient. Would not they be liable for any injuries you would sustain if attacked again? Would they not also be liable for you death since they did not provide protection for you? You would not need a CHP to carry concealed on the hotel grounds if you are given permission from the owner/management - but get it in writing if they do give permission.

carolina guy

Their property, their business, they call the shots there. Of course, there is nothing saying that you MUST work there - except for the crappy job market...

Have you asked him whether you could carry concealed? Since you've already been attacked previously, the manager should take this into consideration. If they don't allow you to protect yourself, what type of protection are they providing for you? It is either non-existent or not sufficient. Would not they be liable for any injuries you would sustain if attacked again? Would they not also be liable for you death since they did not provide protection for you? You would not need a CHP to carry concealed on the hotel grounds if you are given permission from the owner/management - but get it in writing if they do give permission.

I agree...I would put a subtle extra hint on the liability they have for YOU being a bit more than the potential liability for an attacker when you are on the clock. I guess it would be up to the employee to decide how hard to push v. getting another (and safer) job...but worker's comp is a definite cost for the employer.

FoxFireArms

Your right I'll just sit down and have a talk with him about it again to see what i can do to protect myself and used thr word liable quite a bit maybe put the fear in them. i hope im not here at this place to much longer anyways im working on getting into blet so if i can just hold out for a little while longer.