Thread: Asked to leave MC Sports today

Asked to leave MC Sports today

On 5/16/2012 my wife and I were shopping so she could get some stuff for softball. I was open carrying at MC Sports in Kohler W, and all went well. We forgot a few things so on 5/17/2012 we went back to the same store and again I was open carrying. As we are checking out I am asked to leave by the manager who was there yesterday and talked to me about some of the stuff we were looking for and had seen my pistol. However today he told me that I had to leave, that it is store policy to check my gun at the desk or leave it in the car. Funny thing is he was at the front desk today when I walked in and he saw me, I was there yesterday yet was asked to leave today as we were checking out.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Contact form http://www.mcsports.com/contact-us

MC Sports
    3070 Shaffer S.E.
    Grand Rapids, MI 49512
    800-626-1762

They also maintain a .net website.

McX
    the problem here is obvious; the manager used a ouiji board to set policy for the day. we use a much more scientific, and accurate means of setting policy for the day: Magic 8 ball says; today anyone coming in wearing a gun must have......................blue hair..................Magic 8 ball has spoken.

Win for the little guy woohoo. I called corp they called the sheboygan store and then the manager called me. He apologized for the asst. manager. The manager of the store said the asst. asked him about me carrying and he said I had to check it at the door. He was going by what they do for long rifles at the Manitowoc store thinking it was the same for a pistol. He said I am allowed to carry there as log as I'm not rude or an ass towards people. He also said he had no idea why my friend was denied the use of her service dog stating there were a few in last week.

I hope the assistant manager got reamed for making his own policy.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I hope the assistant manager got reamed for making his own policy.

That's what my wife just said. The assistant manager told me he called corp about me carrying to see if I was allowed. The manager today told me that never happened, the assistant talked to the manager. I also let the manager know that the assistant manager tried to use his size and him being an ex cop against me.

Service Dog Use Denied?

Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown View Post
    Win for the little guy woohoo. I called corp they called the sheboygan store and then the manager called me. He apologized for the asst. manager. The manager of the store said the asst. asked him about me carrying and he said I had to check it at the door. He was going by what they do for long rifles at the Manitowoc store thinking it was the same for a pistol. He said I am allowed to carry there as log as I'm not rude or an ass towards people. He also said he had no idea why my friend was denied the use of her service dog stating there were a few in last week.
    Denying the use of a service dog may have been a crime: http://www.deltasociety.org/page.aspx?pid=488
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Denying the use of a service dog may have been a crime: http://www.deltasociety.org/page.aspx?pid=488

Absolutely! How the hell can he deny a disabled person with a service dog?

Ex-Cop? Well, why does this not surprise me? Maybe there is a very valid reason why he is an Ex-cop and working at a sporting goods store now.

That's stupid. Either they allow OC or not. Who's to tell if you were rude or not? Smirk at some fat customer and she thinks you're an ass - that mean you gotta disarm? I think not.

I'd suggest you go in and get a statement from the manager or the company that says OC of pistols is allowed and carry that on you. Forget the 'morals clause' he tried to foist on you. In fact, I might contact the company again and say 'the guy is being a dick, stating I can only carry if I'm not 'rude'. That's BS'.

FWIW
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Denying the use of a service dog may have been a crime:
    § 106.52 Not a crime, a forfeiture only, brought by the department and not by the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    § 106.52 Not a crime, a forfeiture only, brought by the department and not by the victim.
    Actually refusal to allow a service dog is a civil rights violation as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act, violations are investigated by the US Department of Justice.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
    Last edited by throck; 05-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Good win for the OP!

As for service dogs, they're much like handicapped parking tags, but much less understood. People who appear able-bodied can get tags for various legitimate reasons, but often get the stink-eye from people who think anyone not in a wheelchair is "cheating" by using handicap parking. Same goes for service animals

Service animals aren't just guide dogs for the blind, but that's the common misperception. Are purse dogs for "social anxiety", or the crazy lady with the monkey on her shoulder abusing the system? Frankly, yes, quite often they are. But, that's okay with me, so long as the person who looks like they're walking normally, but has a neuromuscular disorder that their dog can detect and correct, are able to use their dog as well.

Dog restrictions are mostly bogus. If the dog doesn't make a mess or threaten anyone, what does it matter?

When I arrived in Germany for my Army service in the mid-1980s, one of the things that struck me was the number of dogs in restaurants. Germans would leave their kids at home, but take their dogs with them when they went out to eat. I first noticed this when a couple who had been at the next table for 45 minutes got up to leave, which was the first time I even knew they had a dog. Their huge GSD eyeballed my plate on his way past my table. I was new in country, still jet-lagged, and more than a bit tipsy, so I could only stare, agog, and laugh after they were gone.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs down

On 5/16/2012 my wife and I were shopping so she could get some stuff for softball. I was open carrying at MC Sports in Kohler W, and all went well. We forgot a few things so on 5/17/2012 we went back to the same store and again I was open carrying. As we are checking out I am asked to leave by the manager who was there yesterday and talked to me about some of the stuff we were looking for and had seen my pistol. However today he told me that I had to leave, that it is store policy to check my gun at the desk or leave it in the car. Funny thing is he was at the front desk today when I walked in and he saw me, I was there yesterday yet was asked to leave today as we were checking out.
    This is exactly why they all went out of business in the Metro Detroit area "Dicky, Anti-2A staff". No rights, No $$$! Let them know there are plenty of sporting goods stores around that follow state law, which in your case provides for self protection via a side-arm. In my area these include Bass Pro, Cabela's and Gander Mountain, all of which even invite us to host OC seminars in their stores.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    This is exactly why they all went out of business in the Metro Detroit area "Dicky, Anti-2A staff". No rights, No $$$! Let them know there are plenty of sporting goods stores around that follow state law, which in your case provides for self protection via a side-arm. In my area these include Bass Pro, Cabela's and Gander Mountain, all of which even invite us to host OC seminars in their stores.
    You did read the follow up post right?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Went back on the 19th as my wife was looking for a new softball glove. I got lucky an the manager was there, my friend talked to him about the service dog. He was completely fine with them and said he had no idea why the assistant told her the dog wasn't allowed in. He said I talked to a person via phone about the assistant manager and my friend pointed to me as I was the guy he talked to. A few minutes later he came up and asked me if he could ask me a few questions and I sure why not. He asked why I carry and such as he is not a gun person, never hunted or was raised around them. We talked for about 30 minutes and he seemed like he understood why people carry and like he learnt something as well. He did call the sheriff on the 18th and they sent him a bunch of paper on the laws and such so this doesn't happen again.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    You did read the follow up post right?
    Yes I did. My point is we had issues like this in MI at first. This was & still is a problem do to some companies taking the wishy washy stance of "we follow state law BUT we leave the final say to our manager(s) discretion." Often this leads to little jimmy/jane pinko - undergarment assistant to the assistant of the assistant manager of clothing, being given the POWER to say who comes & goes in the store based on his/her biases.

MC was one of the worst here in MI, and we in the 2A community here were glad to see them leave. May the door hit them where the Lord split them
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 05-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Yes I did. My point is we had issues like this in MI at first. This was & still is a problem do to some companies taking the wishy washy stance of "we follow state law BUT we leave the final say to our manager(s) discretion." Often this leads to little jimmy/jane pinko - undergarment assistant to the assistant of the assistant manager of clothing, being given the POWER to say who comes & goes in the store based on his/her biases.

MC was one of the worst here in MI, and we in the 2A community here were glad to see them leave. May the door hit them where the Lord split them
    Ok, just wanted to make sure.

Keep fighting hard other there and we'll do the same here.

Checking the gun at the door...

My big concern would be checking a gun, with or without ammo, with some moron that thinks he/she is Matt Dillon and a quick draw master. So the peon mgr asks to check a gun with someone who may not know the cylinder stop from the trigger. Me checking my sidearm at the door, anyone's door, is not going to happen!
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Well, you need to do what I did when the front end manager and head of security decided to kick me out at Woodman's in Appleton. I asked if they were aware that it is legal to OC, but then immediately agreed to leave. After I had secured my pistol in it's case and locked the car, I immediately marched my a** back into the store. I went to the front counter, demanded to speak to the front end and head of security mangers. I asked to see the policy that they were speaking of. They both lied and said that it was new and wasn't posted yet. I called bulls*** on that one and asked for all of their information. I proceeded to call woodman's corp as well as email, and I received a prompt apology and was told they were dealt with. Don't let people do that to you. They need to be accountable for the job they are there to perform, and their opinions are not to be voiced in their decisions.