• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OCDO member in WA

Blueslant

Just introducing myself.

I come from Alabama, moved to the Yakima Valley a few years back with my wife.

I've been a gun owner for quite some time, and a CPL holder for a long time as well. I never really worried about anti-gun laws, carry restrictions, or gun bans. My wife and I are expecting our first child in December, and it struck me, rather suddenly, that I have a real responsibility to preserve my child's rights. That has to be my first job. Protect my family from all threats, physical or otherwise. If he/she wants to carry a firearm later on in life, I want that to be an option. Should my child choose to not carry or own a weapon, that will be a choice he/she gets to make, not the government. Not for myself, my child, or any other American.

Still a little nervous about open carry, but I'll get there at some point in the near future.

Thanks for listening.

.45ACPaddy

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to see more come aboard!

The FAQ threads are extremely helpful when it comes to learning about OC, as well as get togethers. Hope you enjoy your time here!

cynicist

Welcome from elsewhere in the Yakima Valley, moved here a few years ago with the (ex) wife when expecting my first son. Got my first gun after the first time I saw a gunfight in front of my apartments. Wasn't the last time.
What part of the valley are you from, if you don't mind my asking?
Personally, if you live in the lower valley, I don't recommend OC. If its known you have guns, your home is a tarhet for burglaries, and with the size of these towns, its only a matter of time.
A good rule is conceal where people know you (or could find out who you are) and OC where you are anonymous.

tombrewster421

It's amazing how having a child forces us to grow up and be men that are willing to stand for something.

Welcome to the forum!

Blueslant

@tombrewster421, It really is amazing. I've started worrying about things I never though I would ever have to. The phrase, "is that plant toxic" has never come up in my home before this, we just knew better than to eat the house plants. More importantly, it made me realize that I, and by extension every parent, has this incredible responsibility to pass something down to our children. More than things, money, etc... but the kind of world they will grow up in, and live in, and the values that they will in turn pass on to their children. All of a sudden, what you do, and what you stand for matters. Instead of being a face in a crowd, there's going to be someone for whom I am the center of the universe for a while. At least until the teenage years, then it all goes to hell based on my childhood.

@cynicist, Yakima. I try to stay out of the lower valley as much as possible, with the exception of when I have to go there for work. I just don't have much business down there. I generally CC, except in those places where you just can't be armed. I haven't quite broken over that confidence/comfort barrier to OC just yet. I've read the stories that people have posted and I ask myself if I could have remained that calm and controlled, and right now the answer is, I don't know. I figure at some point I will attempt to get together with someone who has done this before or does often, and go from there. I'm not in a rush though.

1911er

Welcome

Welcome to the forum from the wet side. Everything is easier when you do it with others eventualy you will carry like a lot of the rest of us on here its just like putting your wallet in your pocket. Carry on Brother Carry on!!

Blueslant

Yeah, seems a little sparsely populated over the hill, at least as far as OC goes. Though the camp/cook out was less than 2 hours from me, just not able to consider going at the moment with the the wife and I having time off together. Planning to attempt to get in on trash pickup or next years camp/cook out. Did my first OC today, but that was at a gun shop, outdoor store, etc... so not the most anxiety inducing as a whole.

Small victory for me, still grinning about it, even though.. yeah.

Last edited:

hermannr

Welcome to OC on the dry side Blueslant. It is my understanding that Yakima area is a bit different from up here in Okanogan Co, but I realy doubt it, other than the fact that we have fewer people up here.

I have OC'd for a long long time, over 40 years, and never have had any problems. It has been my experience that to OC puts the person that might do you harm on notice...I am not a victim, I can defend myself. I would be of the opinion you are safer OCing in a dangerous area than if you CC. I would rather that the person that would do me harm make an informed decision.

Know the law, and be confident...you will do just fine.

We raised 5 daughters, they are a blessing from God...charish your child(ren), and don't overly control. Children learn by investigation. The first time your child expresses interest in you carry, unload it, and let him/her handle it. Explain as best you can more than you think they can understand...you MUST take the mystery out of firearms with young children, especially very young children (like 2 or 3 years old) I am not saying let them fire it, I am saying let them investgate it for themselves, with your supervision...then, make it clear, they can investigate it more anytime they ask, and you are present...5 is not to young to let them shoot a soda bottle full of water, or other some such target that will be blown away. an informed child is a safe child...

Keep one area of your house "yours" (completely off limits to them) Make their room the same...completely off limits to you unless you are invited by them...and make sure they understand that everyone needs their own private space. Keep your firearms in your space, if you do your instruction properly life will be a lot easier.

That was our approach anyway.

Blueslant

Teaching my children about gun safety is going to be fairly high on my list of things. An individual without a firm grasp on things ended up putting a .270 through me when I was 10, even though it was unloaded. I can't help but think that if he had a little more instruction/understanding, that wouldn't have happened. Every firearm I have is pretty much secure, with the exception of what I am currently carrying, and one in a small, fast access, safe for the wife, but that only works for so long... children is still the most terrifying thing I can imagine at this point. I am sure that will get easier with being a parent. I hope.

Looking up where Okanogan is now, because I just don't know.

twoskinsonemanns

Welcome to OC on the dry side Blueslant. It is my understanding that Yakima area is a bit different from up here in Okanogan Co, but I realy doubt it, other than the fact that we have fewer people up here.

I have OC'd for a long long time, over 40 years, and never have had any problems. It has been my experience that to OC puts the person that might do you harm on notice...I am not a victim, I can defend myself. I would be of the opinion you are safer OCing in a dangerous area than if you CC. I would rather that the person that would do me harm make an informed decision.

Know the law, and be confident...you will do just fine.

We raised 5 daughters, they are a blessing from God...charish your child(ren), and don't overly control. Children learn by investigation. The first time your child expresses interest in you carry, unload it, and let him/her handle it. Explain as best you can more than you think they can understand...you MUST take the mystery out of firearms with young children, especially very young children (like 2 or 3 years old) I am not saying let them fire it, I am saying let them investgate it for themselves, with your supervision...then, make it clear, they can investigate it more anytime they ask, and you are present...5 is not to young to let them shoot a soda bottle full of water, or other some such target that will be blown away. an informed child is a safe child...

Keep one area of your house "yours" (completely off limits to them) Make their room the same...completely off limits to you unless you are invited by them...and make sure they understand that everyone needs their own private space. Keep your firearms in your space, if you do your instruction properly life will be a lot easier.

That was our approach anyway.

Such great advice. Without much guidance from my own youth, I made this same decision a long time ago. I have worked had to teach my (now 10) son about the destructive power of firearms (just as with my power tools) but also to expose him to them so much that it drives the curiosity away. He shoots them with me (often), cleans them with me, and gets to handle them unloaded anytime he wants to practice our "safe handling" techniques. I want him to have the fear of God in him when it comes to touching one without me around, coupled with the lack of curiosity that may over come that fear of God.

Blueslant

Such great advice. Without much guidance from my own youth, I made this same decision a long time ago. I have worked had to teach my (now 10) son about the destructive power of firearms (just as with my power tools) but also to expose him to them so much that it drives the curiosity away. He shoots them with me (often), cleans them with me, and gets to handle them unloaded anytime he wants to practice our "safe handling" techniques. I want him to have the fear of God in him when it comes to touching one without me around, coupled with the lack of curiosity that may over come that fear of God.

I spent several paranoid years around guns. Ended up a little OCD with checking them for loaded/unloaded status. I still do that fairly regularly even now, 20 years later. Even though I know 100% it is not loaded, I will still check it every couple of hours just to make sure. Down to knowing how many rounds I have in the mag so I can make sure the same number is still there. Granted it was not a failure of training or understanding on my part... it drives a message home for me about teaching mine about how to do it right and safe.

I hope that in time my child/ren will enjoy that facet of life as well. I have some really fond memories or shooting at the levee with my dad growing up.

I don't check it when I'm out in public, I would imagine that would tend to freak people out.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I spent several paranoid years around guns. Ended up a little OCD with checking them for loaded/unloaded status. I still do that fairly regularly even now, 20 years later. Even though I know 100% it is not loaded, I will still check it every couple of hours just to make sure. Down to knowing how many rounds I have in the mag so I can make sure the same number is still there. Granted it was not a failure of training or understanding on my part... it drives a message home for me about teaching mine about how to do it right and safe.

I hope that in time my child/ren will enjoy that facet of life as well. I have some really fond memories or shooting at the levee with my dad growing up.

I don't check it when I'm out in public, I would imagine that would tend to freak people out.

That's an easy one for me. If it's in the main safe or nightstand blind open safe or on my hip or in my hand it is fully loaded, one in the pipe, hammer decocked (if external hammer), safety off... always :)

Any other time it shall be unloaded, and in that situation yes always best to check it.