• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun signs go up -- and come right back down!

KBCraig

According to Open Carry OK's Facebook page, Crest Foods started putting up no-guns signs in response to the new law. After a wave of protest and negative feedback, they reversed course and announced they would remove any anti-gun signs.

They'll revisit in November after the law takes effect, if they get complaints. So in the meantime: educate, educate, educate! Positive PR!

hrdware

Yep, it happened just that way. A sign was reported late Thursday afternoon. Friday morning I went by my local store and there was a sign there as well. the word went out, complaints poured in. Later Friday night when I went back to my local store, the signs were gone.

After Nov 1, if they get lots of "But the childrenz" complaints from mothers, they will re-evaluate the policy.

rushcreek2

Someone in OK should suggest to Crest Foods ( and others so inclined) that it might consider tracking the incidence of criminal activity (including shop lifting) on their properties between now and November 1, 2012 in order to establish a baseline to use after November 1, 2012 for the purposes of any future "re-evaluation".

Last edited:

mlr

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. In this instance we were the wheel that got greased because we squeaked the loudest. Next time around we have to remain the loudest voices.

Michael

KBCraig

After Nov 1, if they get lots of "But the childrenz" complaints from mothers, they will re-evaluate the policy.
This is the part that requires a creative response: namely, open carrying mothers, preferably with their children, flooding Crest Foods on November 1, and thanking the managers for recognizing their rights to carry.

:)

cbxer55

I have avoided shopping at the Buy For Less in Midwest City because they had an anti-gun sign by their front entrance. The other day I went there to use the bank facilities, and did not see the signs there. Looked all over for it and could not find it. I was packing a Kimber 1911 in a Crossbreed while wearing a tight tee shirt tucked around it, and a spare carrier from same on my left. Not one comment from anyone.

So did someone complain to Buy For Less about their sign. It has been there ever since they moved into that new big store, and now its gone.

Also must ask what happened at the Midwest City Post Office. When I first got my license in 03, there was a no gun sign there on the entrance door. For a few years now it has been gone and replaced with a NRA sticker. Now I know it is still illegal, but what the heck? WHat did they do, hide the no gun sticker and put up that NRA sticker in an attempt to trap someone? I'm suspicious.

hrdware

I have avoided shopping at the Buy For Less in Midwest City because they had an anti-gun sign by their front entrance. The other day I went there to use the bank facilities, and did not see the signs there. Looked all over for it and could not find it. I was packing a Kimber 1911 in a Crossbreed while wearing a tight tee shirt tucked around it, and a spare carrier from same on my left. Not one comment from anyone.

So did someone complain to Buy For Less about their sign. It has been there ever since they moved into that new big store, and now its gone.

Also must ask what happened at the Midwest City Post Office. When I first got my license in 03, there was a no gun sign there on the entrance door. For a few years now it has been gone and replaced with a NRA sticker. Now I know it is still illegal, but what the heck? WHat did they do, hide the no gun sticker and put up that NRA sticker in an attempt to trap someone? I'm suspicious.

From what I understand, the owners of the Buy for Less stores have had a change of attitude and taken the signs down. They also did not post on their new store in Edmond.

Bullbuster

I can garentee that come the week before Nov 1st you will start seeing signs go up. It's going to take talking to managers and corporate to get them removed. We will need to start a new topic here where we can post these locations so everyone knows who is anti-2nd. Pictures and locations of these signs are good as well. I saw it in VA several times they will post a small sign in a hard to spot place either bottom corner of a door or paper sign just inside the entrance. U may not see it at first but if they have it they can still get you for it. Might also be a good idea to start a Pro-2nd topic of the gun frendly places as well. I will have my voice recorder ready to go so I can document any encounter should it go sour.

cbxer55

Andy's Liquor Store on Midwest Blvd. near SE 29th has an anti-gun sign in there door, brand spankin new. Went in, told them I would no longer do business with them because of the sign, and left. One employee in the store said the Open Carry Law is stupid. I told him the sign was stupid, and that you would lose business because of it. Told him I was going to post it up on the internet so ohers could know in advance. I told him that per the constitution, no one should need to have a permit to carry, either openly or concealed. And that Oklahoma would hopefully one day be like Arizona, a Constitutional Carry state, no license or permit required. Another employee agreed with me, he probably will not have a job much longer.

Roger D

I can garentee that come the week before Nov 1st you will start seeing signs go up. It's going to take talking to managers and corporate to get them removed. We will need to start a new topic here where we can post these locations so everyone knows who is anti-2nd. Pictures and locations of these signs are good as well. I saw it in VA several times they will post a small sign in a hard to spot place either bottom corner of a door or paper sign just inside the entrance. U may not see it at first but if they have it they can still get you for it. Might also be a good idea to start a Pro-2nd topic of the gun frendly places as well. I will have my voice recorder ready to go so I can document any encounter should it go sour.
Goggle friend or foe it is a site where we can rate business that are 2A friendly or are anti 2A.

Last edited:

ethorman

Thanks I have a motto for this one,

"You know how you eat a elephant..... one bite at a time...."

Cheers!