• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rolla meet?

wolfgangmob

I'm going to be in Rolla over summer and only have work and one summer class so I'll have a good amount of free time and was wondering if anyone wanted to meet up to do some open carrying? Any input would be welcome.

BOOMcat12B

Welcome to the forum wolfgangmob. I live in Rolla as well and to be honest other than myself I have yet to see anyone else open carry round here. I just recently moved back here about 2 months ago, and I OC all the time and have yet to have any problems. I OC every where I go and juts off the top of my head I can not think of anywhere that prohibits OCing other than the usual places. The only place I have not really messed around with is over by the college. Mainly because the school is both a private and state school so I am unclear on the rules for around there. Just have not had enough time to fully research it. I noticed in your other post that you are fairly new to OCing. It can be fairly nerve racking at first and it will seem that everyone is watching you but that goes away after awhile and you get used to carrying. I am up for a meet whenever. Just let me know what works for you.

If there are any others in the area please chime in as I would really like to get to know some fellow OCers.

wolfgangmob

Welcome to the forum wolfgangmob. I live in Rolla as well and to be honest other than myself I have yet to see anyone else open carry round here. I just recently moved back here about 2 months ago, and I OC all the time and have yet to have any problems. I OC every where I go and juts off the top of my head I can not think of anywhere that prohibits OCing other than the usual places. The only place I have not really messed around with is over by the college. Mainly because the school is both a private and state school so I am unclear on the rules for around there. Just have not had enough time to fully research it. I noticed in your other post that you are fairly new to OCing. It can be fairly nerve racking at first and it will seem that everyone is watching you but that goes away after awhile and you get used to carrying. I am up for a meet whenever. Just let me know what works for you.

If there are any others in the area please chime in as I would really like to get to know some fellow OCers.

I've only lived in MO since last summer and that was in Saint Louis then I was in the dorms in Rolla so not much chance to OC. I've been OCing some around Rolla in the past couple weeks. As far as OCing near the university, someone was transporting a shotgun a block from their car to a store for something and the school raised an alert so it won't cause you any big grief if you are walking past it but the campus will instantly go on alert if someone reports it to MSTPD as "MWG approaching campus". The biggest problem with the university isn't so much the laws or police, it's the students who over react to seeing anyone carrying a gun without a uniform on.

EDIT: An idea for a meeting place, thanks to other posts, might be the steak and shake :lol:

Last edited:

Wbinsk

I don't mind drivin up from Richland for a meet and greet. I've yet to meet anyone from and would like to.

NeoShade

I work in Rolla, and have open carried for a year or two now. Mostly on weekends. I also open carry in St James a bit. Recently though, I have done more CC now that I have a gun small enough.

I am still good for a meet and greet though, I was thinking of doing one myself, but kept forgetting to do it. I have 2-3 people I know of who OC and would come. Maybe lunch/supper at Panera or something?

Wbinsk

I've yet to eat there yet even though they have one in St. Roberts. I'm good to meet any day after 5:30 pm except Thursdays, and any weekend except this one comming up. Got to run down to Tx for a wedding.

BOOMcat12B

I am up for a meet basically whenever. I OC just about everywhere I go here in Rolla. I would enjoy getting to know some others who OC here as well.

Wbinsk

On our way back from Texas now. How about planning something on the 9th, its a Saturday, if that's not to soon for yall.

wolfgangmob

I am up for a meet basically whenever. I OC just about everywhere I go here in Rolla. I would enjoy getting to know some others who OC here as well.

I OC just about everywhere now, but I have to go on campus and I have no protection against the Gun-Free School Zone Act so there are times it has to stay in my car.

On our way back from Texas now. How about planning something on the 9th, its a Saturday, if that's not to soon for yall.

The 9th would work for me, as far as time and place I would think 11 or noon at Panera would be good.

Last edited:

NeoShade

We had 4 people show up (and one toddler!). Not bad for a first time, but lets try to get more coming. We are planning on Steak and Shake next month if we can. I know that I have 2 others who said they can come next time.

dogsandhogs

We had 4 people show up (and one toddler!). Not bad for a first time, but lets try to get more coming. We are planning on Steak and Shake next month if we can. I know that I have 2 others who said they can come next time.

So, how did it go? I'm moving to the area soon and would like to make future meets.

Wbinsk

Do we want to try and keep it second Saturday of every month? If so then that would make the next meet on the 14th of July. Is noon still good for everyone, or do we need to adjust times to suite others schedules?

wolfgangmob

Do we want to try and keep it second Saturday of every month? If so then that would make the next meet on the 14th of July. Is noon still good for everyone, or do we need to adjust times to suite others schedules?

I wonder if maybe 11 or 1 might be better if we get a larger group just for sake of finding seats. Otherwise I'm free 14th of July.

Wbinsk

Well if we do the 11th then it'll have to be after 5:30 otherwise we won't be able to make it.

BOOMcat12B

Hey sorry I kind of dropped off the radar for a bit.... For some reason I have not been able to get the forum to pull up on my computer for the last 2 weeks or so... It is working now so I dunno what the deal was. I am glad to see that everything went well on the first meet... I figured it would. I am up for every second Saturday of every month... I usually work from round 8 in the morning to 10-11, but after that I am free. Now that I can finally get back on here I will keep checking and seeing what is going on. Steak and Shake is an OC friendly place, I have carried in there several times and never had any problems. Plus there burgers are awesome. :banana:

EDIT- I just posted in the where did you carry thread about my interactions with the local PD around here. Have had 4 MWG calls in the last 3 weeks or so. Figured since most of you are in the Rolla area or come out this way you might want to check out my experiences with the LEOs in the AO.

Last edited:

wolfgangmob

Well if we do the 11th then it'll have to be after 5:30 otherwise we won't be able to make it.

I meant at 11 am on the 14th of July to help avoid some of the lunch rush and maybe stay a while and get exposed to the lunch rush just coming in and sitting around discussing what they see in the place before their foods gets to them.

wolfgangmob

Hey sorry I kind of dropped off the radar for a bit.... For some reason I have not been able to get the forum to pull up on my computer for the last 2 weeks or so... It is working now so I dunno what the deal was. I am glad to see that everything went well on the first meet... I figured it would. I am up for every second Saturday of every month... I usually work from round 8 in the morning to 10-11, but after that I am free. Now that I can finally get back on here I will keep checking and seeing what is going on. Steak and Shake is an OC friendly place, I have carried in there several times and never had any problems. Plus there burgers are awesome. :banana:

EDIT- I just posted in the where did you carry thread about my interactions with the local PD around here. Have had 4 MWG calls in the last 3 weeks or so. Figured since most of you are in the Rolla area or come out this way you might want to check out my experiences with the LEOs in the AO.

I've been having forum problems as well, firefox just isn't loading it most of the time but Chrome is usually reliable.