• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is LA. better than TX.?

Breanne

Hey yall.

Just moved here from Texas and I am totally excited about OC. (It's illegal in Texas!)
But I am not a permanent resident of LA. My driver's license address is still the address I lived at in Texas. Now this may be a completely stupid question, but is it okay if I OC?

Or because I am a Texan, that stupid "no OC law" still applies to my little Texas self?

Also, I do not have an issued carry concealed permit from neither TX nor LA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OC is becoming more and more acceptable as a social norm.

Louisiana is a traditional open carry state. They have complete state preemption of firearms laws with the exception that laws in place prior to the passage of preemption are allowed to remain in place.

In other words you need to become aware of some grandfathered laws too.
http://opencarry.org/la.html

Recommend that you contact a representative of LOCAL here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...meetings-May-2-2012-in-LaPlace-and-Shreveport

Daylen

Yankees will often comment "do you think this is Texas/wild west". I've found this annoying as one of my favorite states is far more free than Texas is given credit for (even if it is loathing credit); Louisiana has some of the best laws. So, Yes Louisiana is far better than Texas.

georg jetson

Hey yall.

Just moved here from Texas and I am totally excited about OC. (It's illegal in Texas!)

Welcome to La. !!

But I am not a permanent resident of LA. My driver's license address is still the address I lived at in Texas. Now this may be a completely stupid question, but is it okay if I OC? Or because I am a Texan, that stupid "no OC law" still applies to my little Texas self?

Within the boarders of La. the only state laws that apply are Louisiana law. US citizens from out of state are subject to La. law and for the most part OC is protected here. So the short answer is "yes".

Also, I do not have an issued carry concealed permit from neither TX nor LA.

A cc permit is not required for most OCing in La.

Come join us over at Laopencarry.org !!

Breanne

Awesome

Thank you guys! I'm sure people ask the "can I OC if...?" questions all the time and I would imagine it gets quite old.
I'm so excited to finally open carry. As a single, young female this certainly means a lot to me and my personal protection.

And yes, I can't wait to meet up with LOCAL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ladies should not be subjected to such innuendo even in jest. Women are golden to our cause - mothers with children go platinum. All should be made to feel welcome, regardless of gender and treated with respect.

Too we must keep in mind this is a public forum read by the media, politicians and an otherwise diverse group.

Last edited:

Breanne

Yay!

Finally open carried! It was a positive experience for sure. No one said anything. No one freaked out. And no one called the cops.

I tried to take a picture before I went out but it was kind of hard with a cell phone...

opencarry 010.jpg

and yes... I am over joyed

Breanne

Grocery Stores and gas stations

Glad you had a positive experience. I trust you've made yourself aware of where not to OC?

Yes I've read up on the law. The only thing I'm not so sure about is grocery stores and gas stations. They sell liquor there but people don't consume liquor on the premises. ...?

Valerius

Where did you oc in Hammond? I've been in the wally world, target, best buy etc. Only had one problem in the wal mart but it was quickly sorted out.

magnuman45

Where did you oc in Hammond? I've been in the wally world, target, best buy etc. Only had one problem in the wal mart but it was quickly sorted out.
I had an issue in a shreveport Walmart as well. It boiled down to an employee not knowing Walmart policy. After 30 min of being paraded around the store like a criminal, the manager told me Walmart policy allowed oc only for le officers displaying a badge, but told me I could finish my shopping today since I had been polite. When I was leaving, said manager was waiting in the parking lot and personally apologized because he reviewed the policy and was was wrong. Moral of the story, always always be polite when confronted. When you become belligerent, you lose any leg you had to stand on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- Moral of the story, always always be polite when confronted. When you become belligerent, you lose any leg you had to stand on.

Yep - One can be "right" and still lose through mishandling the situation.

Equally (most?) important is that a bad attitude reflects negatively on the entire OC movement, especially in that specific state/area.

Breanne

So far I have open carried in Winn Dixie, Walgreens, CVS and a few other random mom and pop stores. Also, i ride my bicycle around the town; mostly through neighborhoods. And so far, I haven't had any problems.

rmansu2

Welcome. And congratulations. For the most part, LA is OC friendly. If you are stopped, try to keep your cool. Just know the laws and that you are well within your rights. Not only is this right protected by the 2nd amendment, it is also protected Article 1 Section 11 of the LA state constitution.