• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording Police in WV?

eamelhorn

I needed this question, friday my oldest son done wrong, but then the cop also done wrong, by stealing the registration and proof of insurance out of my truck that my son was driving. Which got my truck towed illegaly, they pulled the plates, which I had gotten just a couple hours before that. When I let the trooper know that it was recorded while talking with the person who ran the registration and also that I was doing an FOIA on all radio transmission, and that I knew they had ran the info. from my glove box and was recording ALL conversations, my registration by a miricle showed back up and those charges were droped. Im still going to follow up with complaints on the parties invovled, and I will not get my son out of jail, he did wrong, he can pay the price, the cop did wrong she can answer for her wrong. Wrong is wrong I cannot up hold it. 6 months ago I would have never knew what to do, but thanks to this site, it got unfounded charges droped on my son. But the legititmate charges he can face and pay the price for.

Dreamer

When I let the trooper know that it was recorded while talking with the person who ran the registration and also that I was doing an FOIA on all radio transmission, and that I knew they had ran the info. from my glove box and was recording ALL conversations, my registration by a miricle showed back up and those charges were droped.

I'm glad this all worked out for you.

Sometimes we need to "game the system" to force them to do the right thing. Holding these "bad apples" accountable for their actions is a difficult task when the entire system is corrupt, and audio- and video-recordings can be one of our most effective tools in getting a corrupt system to "toe the line"...

I hope EVERYONE is paying attention to this thread, and is learning the power of recording ALL interactions with LEOs.

Congratulations on your victory.

Let's hope your son learns his lesson from this experience, and this sets him on a more righteous and law-abiding path for his life...

eamelhorn

There is an old truck down in an overgrown field, there is a tree growing thur the bed, he went down to get the radiator and what else he could for a little extra cash. The owner saw him called 911. He was stone cold sober according to the trooper no drugs had not been drinking, so he was charge with tresspass, petty larsany, destruction of propetry, and he tools were in a back pack, so a burglery pack, whichtells me this was something he may have done before. But just because he did wrong does not mean the cops can make it sting a bit more by adding no registration and no insurance. I put it in the glove box on top of everything about 3 hours before this happened as I got the truck legal on Friday, that added $1000 to his bond. The reason I wouldnt get him out was he told me he was going to go do this and I said you will go to jail. His wife came up with the money for bail so he got out Sundat evening and was at work yesterday morning. The tags and insurance came over the scanner as valid and to me, and he was still charged with the reg. and insurance and they still took my plates and the paper work which proves it is a legal truck. I called 911 and they said, you need a suphina for the tapes, I had just read WV FOIA statute, I ask for the custodian for the transripts, and got the tapes. The magistrate said, just bring in proof its legal, show me a copy of reg, and insurance I said, we can use the 911 tape to show it came beck to me and was legit. I said, the cop did wrong I want that on record just as my son may have done wrong and now it will be on his record. Wrong is wrong and everyone needs to be held accountable.