• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Businesses that encourage oc/cc by employees

DoubleJ

Anyone know of a business (not including gun shops or ranges or the like) that encourages/allows open or concealed carry by it's employees while working?

Metalhead47

Not all of them

I've challenged the forum before to come up with ONE SINGLE EXAMPLE of a local employer that expressly permi any kind of carry while on the job, other than those in the industry (like pawn shops). I don't mean a little mom&pop that can make up rules as they like, I mean a documented policy.

To date, no one has.

Outside of the gun industry, those here able to carry without risking their jobs are generally on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis.

Freedom1Man

Gun stores.

Pizza delivery shops SHOULD encourage it but they want you to use your car, pay for insurance, gas, repairs, and then not give you the fuel premiums that they are charging the customers. To top it off if they find out that you carry in your OWN CAR you're fired.

All delivery companies, from the pizza stop to the big package truck drivers, from the bicycle delivery to the big rig, SHOULD encourage it. Sadly the laws/policies make it harder to do that.

amzbrady

Anyone know of a business (not including gun shops or ranges or the like) that encourages/allows open or concealed carry by it's employees while working?

The Mech/Tow company I worked for allowed open and concealed carry. Some tows we were sent on it was suggested that we be sure we have our firearm. At any given time you could find a 45 in the boss's sons tool box, occasionally his 50 Cal was in his tool box, and I alway had my Nine. We would unholster when we were crawling around in the shop under cars, but always carried on tows (in fact being left on a tow at 3 AM on a logging road by WSP, is the reason I got my concealed and found out about OC). The boss's son had been asked by one of the local OSPD officers to inform us "to carry" after the shooting at long beach.

I've challenged the forum before to come up with ONE SINGLE EXAMPLE of a local employer that expressly permi any kind of carry while on the job, other than those in the industry (like pawn shops). I don't mean a little mom&pop that can make up rules as they like, I mean a documented policy.

To date, no one has.

Outside of the gun industry, those here able to carry without risking their jobs are generally on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis.

I must have missed that post, otherwise I would have posted the above.

Gun stores.

Pizza delivery shops SHOULD encourage it but they want you to use your car, pay for insurance, gas, repairs, and then not give you the fuel premiums that they are charging the customers. To top it off if they find out that you carry in your OWN CAR you're fired.

All delivery companies, from the pizza stop to the big package truck drivers, from the bicycle delivery to the big rig, SHOULD encourage it. Sadly the laws/policies make it harder to do that.

All cashiers should be required to carry and all companies should be required to video record the doors, registers, and safe. I am very uncomfortable with a no firearms allowed on company property policy and the fact that there are no cameras in the store.

Freedom1Man

The Mech/Tow company I worked for allowed open and concealed carry. Some tows we were sent on it was suggested that we be sure we have our firearm. At any given time you could find a 45 in the boss's sons tool box, occasionally his 50 Cal was in his tool box, and I alway had my Nine. We would unholster when we were crawling around in the shop under cars, but always carried on tows (in fact being left on a tow at 3 AM on a logging road by WSP, is the reason I got my concealed and found out about OC). The boss's son had been asked by one of the local OSPD officers to inform us "to carry" after the shooting at long beach.

Be careful who you do the tow for. If the order is a repo-tow and you don't have a court order then the person you're taking the property from can legally shoot you. Just a legal heads up. Some cops have gotten in trouble (will find that case again) for helping a credit company repo a trailer with out a court order.

If you EVER collect-tow for the IRS then it's your life lost.
No court order = theft. Theft of an automobile/motor vehicle is a felony.

All cashiers should be required to carry and all companies should be required to video record the doors, registers, and safe. I am very uncomfortable with a no firearms allowed on company property policy and the fact that there are no cameras in the store.

I agree with you that all cash handlers should be armed. We need to fix a few laws that prevent some citizens from being armed though. You can't have a gun if convicted for a DV4, yet it is really easy to get a DV4 even before the new laws and even easier with them.

Your ex 'love' or former roommate from 10 years ago appears and assaults you, you defend yourself (if you're a man) you can go to jail for a DV4 charge. The convictions are supper easy to to come by too.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I agree with you that all cash handlers should be armed

I totally agree. Where I work, I have had to carry upwards of $15,000 in cash (not that much compared to some)to the department that stores it. The company feels the need to put up a bullet proof window, but the doors could all be very easily kicked in... not to mention the fact that below the window is just some cheap building supplies and I'm not even allowed to (by the company handbook) be armed... Oh yeah, this is for an unnamed collection agency (I'm not a collector, just a cash handler) that collects mainly for courts, so I pretty much only deal with people who break the law enough to go to collections. And for some reason the angry ones are rarely there about traffic tickets...

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

If the order is a repo-tow and you don't have a court order then the person you're taking the property from can legally shoot you.

Please cite the law that allows someone to shoot anyone stealing/taking/repoing their car in the state of Washington.

Just a legal heads up do not shot someone stealing your car especially if you have not made the payments.

IANAL and I did not sleep at Holiday inn last night.

Freedom1Man

If the order is a repo-tow and you don't have a court order then the person you're taking the property from can legally shoot you.
Please cite the law that allows someone to shoot anyone stealing/taking/repoing their car in the state of Washington.

Just a legal heads up do not shot someone stealing your car especially if you have not made the payments.

IANAL and I did not sleep at Holiday inn last night.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.065

(1) A person is guilty of theft of a motor vehicle if he or she commits theft of a motor vehicle.

(2) Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050
RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

The courts have ruled that taking of property without a court order is still theft.
Old guy I was friends with had sold a car to someone with a payment plan. He was told that he needed a court order to retrieve the property when the person stopped paying. The other part was before he could get a court order he had to have put a repo clause in the sale contract.

So even with a repo clause you still need a court order.

Trigger Dr

The courts have ruled that taking of property without a court order is still theft.
Old guy I was friends with had sold a car to someone with a payment plan. He was told that he needed a court order to retrieve the property when the person stopped paying. The other part was before he could get a court order he had to have put a repo clause in the sale contract.

Cite please

DamonK

Cite please

Pretty sure he cited enough to make it clear in the post above your's. Let's not play the little kid's "Why?" game. To summarize, if you try to take something without a court order, the owner may shoot you if they catch you in the act as it is commision of a felony against them. Disagree? Then cite.

Jeff Hayes

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.065

(1) A person is guilty of theft of a motor vehicle if he or she commits theft of a motor vehicle.

(2) Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050
RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

Good luck in court explaining why you shot a tow truck driver that was driving off with you car hooked up to his wrecker after not making the payments on your car for several months. Do not forget that you would have received several letters asking you to catch up the payments from the finance company. The he was committing a felony defense is very slim in this case how would you know if the tow truck driver had a court order or not when you pulled the trigger. If you can not articulate how you knew there was no court order issued your he was committing a felony defense is gone. After all you knew or should have known that you were late in several car payments, you should have been expecting it to be repoed. I think you go to prison for 2 degree murder 5 to 15 years.

Trigger Dr

Pretty sure he cited enough to make it clear in the post above your's. Let's not play the little kid's "Why?" game. To summarize, if you try to take something without a court order, the owner may shoot you if they catch you in the act as it is commision of a felony against them. Disagree? Then cite.

I would like to see the cite where the COURTS HAVE RULED. Just because he says they have ruled does not make it so. Cite please.

rapgood

LOTS of lawyers (especially criminal defense lawyers) and their staffs CC. It goes with the territory. Some folks just don't take too kindly to "their lawyer losing the case" and seek revenge (especially when they're actually guilty of the crime). I know of an Assistant Federal Public Defender who actually was gunned down in the lobby of his office building by a disgruntled (guilty) defendant after the jury convicted the guy.