• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full size 9mm with thumb safety or DA/SA?

Jack House

I recommend the Walther
P99AS. It's an amazing gun, feels great to shoot. Shoots straight. Has a decocker but no thumb safety.

The trigger has three different pulls, long and hard(snickers), long and soft(ED much?) And short and soft(like most men when confronted with the slaughter of beautiful weaponry).

Sorry about the comments, that's the teenage boy in me taking over. *blushes*

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

wolfgangmob

The most innovative feature of the P-07 duty is the
Omega trigger system. The new mechanism was
first introduced on the P-07 model. It simplifies the
CZ 75 trigger system, uses fewer parts and improves
the trigger pull, but the real story is in the versatility
it provides for its owner. The Omega system allows
users to choose between operating the handgun
with a decocking lever (installed) or a manual safety
(included) by a simple parts change.

I took this from CZs website. It appears you have to make a choice to either have the decocker or a safety, but not both.

I was referring to the combination of either safety or decocker on one gun as opposed to one or the other from the factory, that's only on the P-07 Duty also which I'm not too interested in as it's grip is even wider than the 75 B and the compact size isn't something I really want for this gun.

wolfgangmob

I recommend the Walther
P99AS. It's an amazing gun, feels great to shoot. Shoots straight. Has a decocker but no thumb safety.

The trigger has three different pulls, long and hard(snickers), long and soft(ED much?) And short and soft(like most men when confronted with the slaughter of beautiful weaponry).

Sorry about the comments, that's the teenage boy in me taking over. *blushes*

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I've handled a Walther P99AS, it wasn't bad, but not something I'm a big fan of.

Fallschirjmäger

I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I'll throw this into the mix - -
FN FNX in either 9mm or .40S&W
Hammer fired
Capable of being carried Single Action with a thumb safety.
Capable of being carried DA/SA with a thumb safety.
Thumb safety can act as a decocker (far preferable to lowering a hammer manually).
Ships with Three magazines, no more hunting for that last one to make a complete set.
FNX.jpg

If I hadn't purchased an M&P, I'd probably have gotten an FNX.

DangerClose

If considering a Beretta 92, I'd lean towards the Taurus version for the safety position and better warranty.

P95 does the job, and the price is right.

Otherwise, CZ75b or similar sounds like what you're looking for. I sort of think of it as a more practical 1911.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So I see lots of good suggestions. Are you any closer to making a choice? What are your top three options now?

merc460

I have not seen the Beretta PX4 Storm mentioned. I am actually picking up the one I ordered today. Sounds like it would fit the bill also.

hjmoosejaw

I have not seen the Beretta PX4 Storm mentioned. I am actually picking up the one I ordered today. Sounds like it would fit the bill also.

I was thinking of the PX4 Storm also,when I was thinking of another carry gun. You're right, it does sound like it would fit the bill. I handled that and the Taurus 24/7 G2 at a gun show and the 24/7 G2 just seemed to fit my hand better. Those PX4 Storm's are some nice looking pistols though.

ickthus

I have the PX4 F in .40 with About 1400 rounds down the pipe without a hic up. With the crossbreed super tuck IBW it is ccw all day. No problem sitting or getting in and out of my truck. Can't be seen and does not print. I'll fall asleep in the lazy boy and forget it is there. The Beretta Cougar 8000 is about the same thing in an allow frame. both are under $500. If there is a range that rents guns, try one and get hooked.

merc460

I was thinking of the PX4 Storm also,when I was thinking of another carry gun. You're right, it does sound like it would fit the bill. I handled that and the Taurus 24/7 G2 at a gun show and the 24/7 G2 just seemed to fit my hand better. Those PX4 Storm's are some nice looking pistols though.

Do like I did, go to a range, rent it and put a box or two down range. I rented the compact, but bought the full size (JXF9F21). Holds 17 rounds, has changeable back straps (3) to custom fit it to your hand. It also has a hammer block device, and the safety is also a decocker.

As soon as I get it broke in well, find (or make) a good holster for it, it will be my new carry piece.

Last edited:

ickthus

Yea, Beretta has been running that for a while now. If you are LEO or Military /ret. or active, you can get a real good deal on the LE: 3 mags, Trijicon night sights and free shipping. I got my PXF4F24LE for $535 shipped from buds. The 9mm PXF9F24LE /with 3 mags, Trijicon NS is in stock for $510 free shipping. That's just hard to beat.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The Beretta M9 certainly fits the profile. It's a decent gun with a good reputation. Taurus is making a copy of this model and their quality has improved quite a bit.

M9 is a better carry than a 1911 ... % of combat mission completion testing by the Army showed this. But a Taurus version? Eh! I have a Taurus pistol and its the last one of 5 pistols I own that I would grab in an emergency...just not reliable enough..firing pins that go bad and grossly effect accuracy etc...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I'm looking for a good full size 9mm platform with manual safety or a DA/SA with decocker, worst case I can't find a private sale and have to wait until I turn 21 to buy one new. Currently I'm looking at SIG P226, CZ 75B, Ruger SR9 (not a big fan of the safety location and size though), Ruger P95, and Beretta 92FS/M9 a distant possibility is a Zastava M88 but that seems to be more of a car gun than a carry weapon. I'm not a big fan of DAO except on more CCW style guns where the safety gets to be too small to easily manipulate. I currently OC with my M&P 40 compact, great gun but I am not comfortable with the the trigger safety method as it can be pulled on a snag far easier than a Glock style trigger safety blade can, I'll keep the gun for a HD weapon, but it's not ideal OC or CC weapon for me.
Ok, since you're looking at the Beretta 92, I have to toss my personal choice in here. Not having read all the responses, but based on what you say you're looking for, I'd recommend the Taurus PT92/99 series. The PT92 has a fixed rear sight, the 99 has an adjustable rear sight. Both have ambidextrous manual safety/decocker on the frame, that works the same as the manual safety on the 1911. Up is safe, down is off, down further decocks the hammer.

I have a PT92 in polished stainless that is 20 years old, still works great, does not have the decocker (That came out later). And has never malfunctioned. Of course, I expect all the Taurus detractors to come out of the wood work now. But that's ok. As I said, I've had this pistol for 20 years now. I've carried as a duty weapon when working security, and as my personal defense weapon. It switches off and on now with my Rock Island Armory 1911. But for a full size 9mm with DA/SA capability (FYI, I've seen the DA/SA term used for at least 15 years), I couldn't ask for better.

pt92.jpg

Last edited:

wolfgangmob

Gee, so does my Taurus PT92. :)

Taurus 92, just the Beretta 92 the way it should have been, Italian design perfected by Brazilians. It certainly is an option but the sights would be an issue as I am often out at night and would prefer to have night sights which appear to be a problem with the Taurus 92 as well as I would like it to be a gun I can carry during the day and then be able to grab at night in a dark house.

Beowulf

I would also suggest the SIG SP2022, and Bersa Thunder 9. Those are both top contenders for the next gun that I am planning on acquiring; although, I am looking at the compact version of the Thunder 9 more than the full size version. I've also been a big fan of the CZ-75 lineup and I frequently lurk their forums. There is/was a CZ-75B compact and full size CZ-75B with the Omega trigger system, but I'm not actually sure where you can purchase them. I think that they might have just been short runs from CZ Custom Shop, but I don't think that is the case. Gunsamerica apparently sells some and I imagine that your local gun shops could track some down as well, provided that you are that interested in the Omega trigger system. Quite frankly, I would just go with either the 75B or BD.

Edit: Just wanted to say that is a pretty looking Taurus PT92 that you have Big Gay Al.

Last edited: