• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grad student needs help finding a state to go to for post doctorate position.

DrScaryGuy

I'm a grad student and I'm finishing up the 2nd year of my PhD program, which means I'm (hopefully) 2-3 years from being done. It's time to start looking for places to do the next level of research! Here's the thing, I do a very specialized kind of research and that limits the options I have for a post-doc spot. And since I want to go to the best place possible, I'm left with even fewer choices.
I'd also rather not leave behind an unguarded pile of ARs, a box full of 30rd magazines, pistols that you would think keep having babies in my safe, the 2 suppressors I've got being processed, and possibly some SBR, SBS, 40mm, DD or whatever else I happen to pick up between now and then.

See, I'm from Michigan, land of the militia, where many highschools basically close down for the first day of deer hunting season, and where (outside of detroit and flint) just about everybody is pretty darn conservative. Liberal Academia has problems with me and my pro-gun ways.

So there's a good chance that I'll end up having to look at schools like the big boys in CA and MA. Obviously, I really don't want to have to move there for all the gun reasons. However, since my boss came through yale, so there's a decent chance that may be an option for me, and it seems like the CT laws are a fair bit more pleasant.

Does anybody have a good easy reference for what CT does/doesn't allow in terms of types of pistols/rifles, magazine capacity, SBS/SBR, DD, automatics, etc? I'd really hate to drop even more thousands of dollars on stuff only to find out that I can't take it with me.

Leverdude

I dont have any ready reference but basically you can own any & as many handguns as you want, rifles & shotguns have very few restrictions outside of our ASSault weapons ban which itself is pretty easy to work around. I dont know all of the banned guns but AK47s are on the list as are AR15s and a bunch of others. The ridiculous part is you can own these guns as long as the names dont match. I believe an AK74 is ok & any AR type gun not on the list is ok too. Someone will I'm sure chime in or if you like a google for CT assault weapon ban will likely turn up a list.

Rich B

First start:

http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/titles.htm

Second resource (Assault Weapon Ban):

http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

General resource:

http://ctcarry.com

Connecticut Carry would be happy to facilitate you in any way you need by phone, email or otherwise.

Some tidbits:
- We have an assault weapons ban that limits semi automatic shotguns and semi automatic rifles on 'evil features'. You definitely need to read up on it.
- We allow NFA items, they should not be a problem if you follow all ATF/Federal guidelines for moving them.
- Before you come to Connecticut, apply for a non-resident pistol permit and then do an address change when you move here. This will save you time and headache. Seriously. We can help you through this.
- We have no mag limits.
- We do have a 'safe storage law' that applies to access by children. Keep this in mind.

Rich Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203.208.9577
http://ctcarry.com
Email: rich@ctcarry.com

DrScaryGuy

Yeah, I was already looking at the assault rifle thing. It looks like even a basic M&P AR would be a "no-no" because it hits all 4 points, pistol grip, 6-pos stock, birdcage flash hider, and bayonet lug. Bullet buttons would become necessary.

Looks like the pistols are good though, except for AR pistols - those seem to be uncool. So it looks like I would have to convert AR pistols to SBR, but then I wouldn't be able to take them back home to michigan because SBRs are not allowed here.

Laws are fun!

Rich B

Yeah, I was already looking at the assault rifle thing. It looks like even a basic M&P AR would be a "no-no" because it hits all 4 points, pistol grip, 6-pos stock, birdcage flash hider, and bayonet lug. Bullet buttons would become necessary.

Bullet buttons don't really work here AFAIK. Most people trade the flash hider for a pinned muzzle brake and pin the stock.

Looks like the pistols are good though, except for AR pistols - those seem to be uncool. So it looks like I would have to convert AR pistols to SBR, but then I wouldn't be able to take them back home to michigan because SBRs are not allowed here.

There are ways for AR pistols to be legal here, but it is not simple. I can put you in touch with people who know more if these are an issue.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Of course, all of these CT laws are unconstitutional .... but don't forget about semi-auto rifles needing to be registered too :) that's is mandatory, right?

Rich B

Of course, all of these CT laws are unconstitutional .... but don't forget about semi-auto rifles needing to be registered too :) that's is mandatory, right?

You might be making a joke that I am not getting this morning, but I don't know of any mandatory registration on long guns. Unless they are specifically listed on the AWB.