Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Anti Gun encounter at Broadway Cinemas

  1. #1
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118

    Anti Gun encounter at Broadway Cinemas

    I know not alot of people in this forum are not from the deep part of southwest Virginia, but I wanted to let everyone know of an anti gun establishment. If any of you knows the location of Claypool Hill Mall, just outside of Richlands, also known as Cedar Bluff. They have a theater call Broadway Cinemas, we decided to take our son there for his birthday to see Avengers(great movie by the way). While we were waiting for the movie, we were playing in the arcade, as I was playing I noticed that one of the staff and what seemed like a manager, eyeing me and following me to every game I went to a different game. After about 5 minutes they both walked up to me, the manager asked if I would mind puting my gun back in the car(funny they did not ask my wife the same thing). I asked what the reason fo the request was, she stated that they have alot of kids in the place; just as a side note for those of you that are not familiar with the area or the "mall", there are 5 stores, one of them is the largest gun dealer in our area(Trader Jerrys), I think there were 3 other people in the arcade. She stated for the safety of the kids, I asked her to explain what she felt was unsafe. She said well you could be playing a game and a child could come up behind you and take your gun. About this time my wife noticed us talking, and came over. I tole my wife that we were going to leave, and just make sure everyone knew that this was an anti gun establishment. The manager stated, "I am not anit gun, I have a concealed weapon permit, and I am also a member of the NRHA" (gotta love it when you know for a fact that someone knows nothing about the subject matter). So we just politely left and went to another theater. Little does she know that in a few weeks the wife and I are setting up a VCDL table in front of the gun store in a few weeks, I have every intention on making a sign letting everyone know about the Cinema. We have been to that theater several time in the past and have never had a problem, well, that is over.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    This place??
    http://www.bwaycinema.com/

    Did you happen to get any names? Manager?

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I know the area well. While it doesn't surprise me that a theater would be anti (most are) I am surprised the locals haven't put it out of business.

    Ever notice how most of the anti's have a CHP?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Just because the manager is an idiot, doesn't necessarily make the place anti-gun.

    Have you tried contacting the higher ups yet to find out the actual policy?

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Just because the manager is an idiot, doesn't necessarily make the place anti-gun.

    Have you tried contacting the higher ups yet to find out the actual policy?
    Actually....it does. If they prohibit or limit carry, they're anti. Kinda like being pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

    Now they can lose that title if the higher ups overrule the manager but until they do, the place has cooties.

    Cracker Barrel is anti even though the managers allow concealed...like they'd know anyway.

  6. #6
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    This place??
    http://www.bwaycinema.com/

    Did you happen to get any names? Manager?
    that is the right place, I did not get her name.


    Peter, if you notice she did not say CHP, she said conceal weapon, and also, the NRHA, I am pretty sure she wanted to say NRA, I guess I should have told her that the NRA thing did not impress me a bit
    Last edited by paramedic; 05-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    that is the right place, I did not get her name.


    Peter, if you notice she did not say CHP, she said conceal weapon, and also, the NRHA, I am pretty sure she wanted to say NRA, I guess I should have told her that the NRA thing did not impress me a bit
    I sent an email to the address associated with that domain name, inquiring if they are a manager at the theater. If so... I'll ask their policy regarding lawful carry of firearms.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Actually....it does. If they prohibit or limit carry, they're anti. Kinda like being pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

    Now they can lose that title if the higher ups overrule the manager but until they do, the place has cooties.

    Cracker Barrel is anti even though the managers allow concealed...like they'd know anyway.
    I OC'ed at Cracker Barrel in Chesapeake Virginia for mothers day, taking the wife there to eat. Not a word was said, nor a sign on the door/window.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Actually....it does. If they prohibit or limit carry, they're anti. Kinda like being pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

    Now they can lose that title if the higher ups overrule the manager but until they do, the place has cooties.

    Cracker Barrel is anti even though the managers allow concealed...like they'd know anyway.
    So what about when a Wal-Mart manager tells you to remove your gun?

    All I'm saying is that unless the manager in question owns the place, her word may not be the final one, and there may be an opportunity to educate the manager. (Provided it is not company policy, of course.)

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    So what about when a Wal-Mart manager tells you to remove your gun?

    All I'm saying is that unless the manager in question owns the place, her word may not be the final one, and there may be an opportunity to educate the manager. (Provided it is not company policy, of course.)
    That's a good example.
    If you remove it, leave or get locked up...the place is anti. The fact that they shouldn't be or may not be in the future, is inconsequential.
    Last edited by peter nap; 05-20-2012 at 06:25 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's a good example.
    If you remove it, leave or get locked up...the place is anti. The fact that they shouldn't be or may not be in the future, is inconsequential.
    I'm no legal eagle, but I respectfully submit that unless it is company policy, then it is the person, not the place, that is anti. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cinema in question, and all employees, no matter their rank, should be properly trained so these kinds of issues never come up. But they do make for good learning experiences

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I'm no legal eagle, but I respectfully submit that unless it is company policy, then it is the person, not the place, that is anti. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cinema in question, and all employees, no matter their rank, should be properly trained so these kinds of issues never come up. But they do make for good learning experiences
    Sure it's the person! It's always a person but do you think he would care if I said I wasn't his friend anymore.

    He represents the company and until the company changes things, they have to be tagged as "ANTI>>>DO NOT PATRONIZE".

    It took Jimmy Johns about a day to realize they had a problem, come up sith a policy and explain the policy to the Manager...then, they weren't anti anymore and we went there and spent money.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Glen Allen,VA
    Posts
    32
    If you get a valid email, make sure and let us know so we can all send in our love of the "NRHA" and keeping places safe (for baddies)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    I see what you're saying

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by ToggleSwitch View Post
    If you get a valid email, make sure and let us know so we can all send in our love of the "NRHA" and keeping places safe (for baddies)
    Absolutely!!

  16. #16
    Activist Member carsontech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    I OC'ed at Cracker Barrel in Chesapeake Virginia for mothers day, taking the wife there to eat. Not a word was said, nor a sign on the door/window.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The family and I had a similar experience with the Cracker Barrel in Christiansburg, just a few weeks ago. The misses and I were open carrying and expected to be hassled because of all the threads that popped up where OCers were getting asked to take there firearms out to there car or leave.

    We don't usually patronize businesses that are known to be anti, but there was nothing else around that looked good, and we didn't want to travel any further to find another place to eat.

    Luckily we weren't asked to leave. That doesn't change the fact that we gave money to a corporation that is proven to be anti open carry by policy and by action.

    Just check out the threads below:

    In this one, it seems everyone calls BS on the leaked policy that the VCDL reported on:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ers-(Per-VCDL)

    Then, in the same thread, several pages later, "it" finally happens:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1491132

    Another Cracker Barrel policy enforcement:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n-in-his-store

    Yet another:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...racker-barrell

    Like peter nap inferred, Cracker Barrel has cooties.

  17. #17
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Sure it's the person! It's always a person but do you think he would care if I said I wasn't his friend anymore.

    He represents the company and until the company changes things, they have to be tagged as "ANTI>>>DO NOT PATRONIZE".

    It took Jimmy Johns about a day to realize they had a problem, come up sith a policy and explain the policy to the Manager...then, they weren't anti anymore and we went there and spent money.
    In the Jimmy Johns around WI & IL I have seen signs on the wall that state to the effect that you should give up your seat if requested by a pregnant woman or a customer carrying a firearm. Posted in jest I am sure.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    232
    The Cracker Barrel in Harrisburg Pa. must NOT have gotten the memo about being anti gun. Every year before the 2A rally at the capitol, about 20 or 30 of us OC'ers get together for breakfast. Never a problem or comment about our being there...

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    The family and I had a similar experience with the Cracker Barrel in Christiansburg, just a few weeks ago. The misses and I were open carrying and expected to be hassled because of all the threads that popped up where OCers were getting asked to take there firearms out to there car or leave.

    We don't usually patronize businesses that are known to be anti, but there was nothing else around that looked good, and we didn't want to travel any further to find another place to eat.

    Luckily we weren't asked to leave. That doesn't change the fact that we gave money to a corporation that is proven to be anti open carry by policy and by action.

    Just check out the threads below:

    In this one, it seems everyone calls BS on the leaked policy that the VCDL reported on:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ers-(Per-VCDL)

    Then, in the same thread, several pages later, "it" finally happens:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1491132

    Another Cracker Barrel policy enforcement:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n-in-his-store

    Yet another:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...racker-barrell

    Like peter nap inferred, Cracker Barrel has cooties.
    It also states on the vcdl site that red lobster is also anti gun. I went in a month ago, and discussed with the manager about being a long time customer that started to carry, and wanted to know there policy so I wouldn't start any trouble.

    After being told I could, I took her name as a precaution, as well as date, time and even have the receipt. Lol. Not saying the Web site is wrong, but being upfront, honest about why your carrying, and polite can go a long way toward the attitude some people have about gun carriers in general.

    Yes, I know some may say I shouldn't have to go that far. To each there own I guess. Just trying to think outside of the box.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  20. #20
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    CAARSONTECH, next time go to RYAN"s. I've been in there several times and never had a problem

    hey PARIMEDIC, let me know if you need help with that table
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  21. #21
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    She said well you could be playing a game and a child could come up behind you and take your gun.
    I could not have let that moment pass unchallenged:

    "Really, when has that ever happened, here or anywhere? Tell you what, I'll start playing a game, you try to take the weapon. Ready? Good luck!"

    "Does that also apply to the other person in the room with a gun?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    CAARSONTECH, next time go to RYAN"s. I've been in there several times and never had a problem

    hey PARIMEDIC, let me know if you need help with that table

    I was asked at the RYAN's in Fredericksburg not to come back with my sidearm on my hip.

    So I haven't gone back. At all.

    A shame - I liked them.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Universal question for such people: "I acknowledge your request to relinquish my ability to protect myself and others present. However, I do have one question: what positive steps have you taken to ensure the absolute safety of your patrons/guests/customers from armed intruders? Are you sure you are ready, willing, and able to assume responsibility for our safety, and liability for the failure to keep me and my family safe?"
    Last edited by user; 05-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  24. #24
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Universal question for such people: "I acknowledge your request to relinquish my ability to protect myself and others present. However, I do have one question: what positive steps have you taken to ensure the absolute safety of your patrons/guests/customers from armed intruders? Are you sure you are ready, willing, and able to assume responsibility for our safety, and liability for the failure to keep me and my family safe?"
    It would be worth the effort to get the chuckle out of handing such a person a nicely typed-up piece of paper, with some such statement as you describe in your question, saying something like, "I, the employee of said restaurant, accept full personal and financial responsibility for the absolute safety of this named party of X, who are dining without the benefit of self-defensive weapons at my request..." And of course nice big places for them to sign the paper...



    TFred

  25. #25
    Regular Member USNA69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by ToggleSwitch View Post
    If you get a valid email, make sure and let us know so we can all send in our love of the "NRHA" and keeping places safe (for baddies)
    NRHA = Norfolk Redevelopment & Housing Authority

    The manager was probably nervous and really meant to say "NHRA" ZOOM-ZOOM!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •