• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti Gun encounter at Broadway Cinemas

paramedic

I know not alot of people in this forum are not from the deep part of southwest Virginia, but I wanted to let everyone know of an anti gun establishment. If any of you knows the location of Claypool Hill Mall, just outside of Richlands, also known as Cedar Bluff. They have a theater call Broadway Cinemas, we decided to take our son there for his birthday to see Avengers(great movie by the way). While we were waiting for the movie, we were playing in the arcade, as I was playing I noticed that one of the staff and what seemed like a manager, eyeing me and following me to every game I went to a different game. After about 5 minutes they both walked up to me, the manager asked if I would mind puting my gun back in the car(funny they did not ask my wife the same thing). I asked what the reason fo the request was, she stated that they have alot of kids in the place; just as a side note for those of you that are not familiar with the area or the "mall", there are 5 stores, one of them is the largest gun dealer in our area(Trader Jerrys), I think there were 3 other people in the arcade. She stated for the safety of the kids, I asked her to explain what she felt was unsafe. She said well you could be playing a game and a child could come up behind you and take your gun. About this time my wife noticed us talking, and came over. I tole my wife that we were going to leave, and just make sure everyone knew that this was an anti gun establishment. The manager stated, "I am not anit gun, I have a concealed weapon permit, and I am also a member of the NRHA" (gotta love it when you know for a fact that someone knows nothing about the subject matter). So we just politely left and went to another theater. Little does she know that in a few weeks the wife and I are setting up a VCDL table in front of the gun store in a few weeks, I have every intention on making a sign letting everyone know about the Cinema. We have been to that theater several time in the past and have never had a problem, well, that is over.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know the area well. While it doesn't surprise me that a theater would be anti (most are) I am surprised the locals haven't put it out of business.

Ever notice how most of the anti's have a CHP?

PistolPackingMomma

Just because the manager is an idiot, doesn't necessarily make the place anti-gun.

Have you tried contacting the higher ups yet to find out the actual policy?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just because the manager is an idiot, doesn't necessarily make the place anti-gun.

Have you tried contacting the higher ups yet to find out the actual policy?

Actually....it does. If they prohibit or limit carry, they're anti. Kinda like being pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

Now they can lose that title if the higher ups overrule the manager but until they do, the place has cooties.

Cracker Barrel is anti even though the managers allow concealed...like they'd know anyway.

Blk97F150

that is the right place, I did not get her name.

Peter, if you notice she did not say CHP, she said conceal weapon, and also, the NRHA, I am pretty sure she wanted to say NRA, I guess I should have told her that the NRA thing did not impress me a bit

I sent an email to the address associated with that domain name, inquiring if they are a manager at the theater. If so... I'll ask their policy regarding lawful carry of firearms.

mpguy

Actually....it does. If they prohibit or limit carry, they're anti. Kinda like being pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

Now they can lose that title if the higher ups overrule the manager but until they do, the place has cooties.

Cracker Barrel is anti even though the managers allow concealed...like they'd know anyway.

I OC'ed at Cracker Barrel in Chesapeake Virginia for mothers day, taking the wife there to eat. Not a word was said, nor a sign on the door/window.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PistolPackingMomma

So what about when a Wal-Mart manager tells you to remove your gun?

All I'm saying is that unless the manager in question owns the place, her word may not be the final one, and there may be an opportunity to educate the manager. (Provided it is not company policy, of course.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So what about when a Wal-Mart manager tells you to remove your gun?

All I'm saying is that unless the manager in question owns the place, her word may not be the final one, and there may be an opportunity to educate the manager. (Provided it is not company policy, of course.)

That's a good example.
If you remove it, leave or get locked up...the place is anti. The fact that they shouldn't be or may not be in the future, is inconsequential.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

That's a good example.
If you remove it, leave or get locked up...the place is anti. The fact that they shouldn't be or may not be in the future, is inconsequential.

I'm no legal eagle, but I respectfully submit that unless it is company policy, then it is the person, not the place, that is anti. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cinema in question, and all employees, no matter their rank, should be properly trained so these kinds of issues never come up. But they do make for good learning experiences :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm no legal eagle, but I respectfully submit that unless it is company policy, then it is the person, not the place, that is anti. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cinema in question, and all employees, no matter their rank, should be properly trained so these kinds of issues never come up. But they do make for good learning experiences :D

Sure it's the person! It's always a person but do you think he would care if I said I wasn't his friend anymore.:lol:

He represents the company and until the company changes things, they have to be tagged as "ANTI>>>DO NOT PATRONIZE".

It took Jimmy Johns about a day to realize they had a problem, come up sith a policy and explain the policy to the Manager...then, they weren't anti anymore and we went there and spent money.

ToggleSwitch

If you get a valid email, make sure and let us know so we can all send in our love of the "NRHA" and keeping places safe (for baddies) :)

carsontech

Activist Member
I OC'ed at Cracker Barrel in Chesapeake Virginia for mothers day, taking the wife there to eat. Not a word was said, nor a sign on the door/window.

The family and I had a similar experience with the Cracker Barrel in Christiansburg, just a few weeks ago. The misses and I were open carrying and expected to be hassled because of all the threads that popped up where OCers were getting asked to take there firearms out to there car or leave.

We don't usually patronize businesses that are known to be anti, but there was nothing else around that looked good, and we didn't want to travel any further to find another place to eat.

Luckily we weren't asked to leave. That doesn't change the fact that we gave money to a corporation that is proven to be anti open carry by policy and by action.

Just check out the threads below:

In this one, it seems everyone calls BS on the leaked policy that the VCDL reported on:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88012-Cracker-Barrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-(Per-VCDL)

Then, in the same thread, several pages later, "it" finally happens:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88012-Cracker-Barrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-(Per-VCDL)&p=1491132&viewfull=1#post1491132

Another Cracker Barrel policy enforcement:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92726-Told-not-to-carry-again-in-his-store

Yet another:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88464-cracker-barrell

Like peter nap inferred, Cracker Barrel has cooties.

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
Sure it's the person! It's always a person but do you think he would care if I said I wasn't his friend anymore.:lol:

He represents the company and until the company changes things, they have to be tagged as "ANTI>>>DO NOT PATRONIZE".

It took Jimmy Johns about a day to realize they had a problem, come up sith a policy and explain the policy to the Manager...then, they weren't anti anymore and we went there and spent money.

In the Jimmy Johns around WI & IL I have seen signs on the wall that state to the effect that you should give up your seat if requested by a pregnant woman or a customer carrying a firearm. Posted in jest I am sure.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
The Cracker Barrel in Harrisburg Pa. must NOT have gotten the memo about being anti gun. Every year before the 2A rally at the capitol, about 20 or 30 of us OC'ers get together for breakfast. Never a problem or comment about our being there...

mpguy

The family and I had a similar experience with the Cracker Barrel in Christiansburg, just a few weeks ago. The misses and I were open carrying and expected to be hassled because of all the threads that popped up where OCers were getting asked to take there firearms out to there car or leave.

We don't usually patronize businesses that are known to be anti, but there was nothing else around that looked good, and we didn't want to travel any further to find another place to eat.

Luckily we weren't asked to leave. That doesn't change the fact that we gave money to a corporation that is proven to be anti open carry by policy and by action.

Just check out the threads below:

In this one, it seems everyone calls BS on the leaked policy that the VCDL reported on:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88012-Cracker-Barrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-(Per-VCDL)

Then, in the same thread, several pages later, "it" finally happens:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88012-Cracker-Barrel-Not-Friendly-to-Open-Carriers-(Per-VCDL)&p=1491132&viewfull=1#post1491132

Another Cracker Barrel policy enforcement:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92726-Told-not-to-carry-again-in-his-store

Yet another:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88464-cracker-barrell

Like peter nap inferred, Cracker Barrel has cooties.

It also states on the vcdl site that red lobster is also anti gun. I went in a month ago, and discussed with the manager about being a long time customer that started to carry, and wanted to know there policy so I wouldn't start any trouble.

After being told I could, I took her name as a precaution, as well as date, time and even have the receipt. Lol. Not saying the Web site is wrong, but being upfront, honest about why your carrying, and polite can go a long way toward the attitude some people have about gun carriers in general.

Yes, I know some may say I shouldn't have to go that far. To each there own I guess. Just trying to think outside of the box.

papa bear

CAARSONTECH, next time go to RYAN"s. I've been in there several times and never had a problem

hey PARIMEDIC, let me know if you need help with that table