• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's up with the misinformation about OC laws in New Mexico?

AH.74

In this case, it is YOU who are wrong, and not them.

First of all, it's YOUR mistake in not researching ahead of time and therefore not being fully aware of the laws in all states you will be going to.

Second of all, the law states that you cannot open carry anywhere alcohol is sold for on or off-site consumption. That means anywhere alcohol is sold, period, end of story. You must have a license to carry concealed in places that sell for off-site consumption like that convenience store. You actually committed a fourth degree felony according to these laws.

It's all very clear, right here:

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/docs/HB0588final.pdf

There is no misinformation, only your poor awareness.

You should get over your attitude. You should also never ride without actual eye protection. If you aren't, that's pretty bad. How important is a picture? Is it worth your eyesight?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Sorry, TL, but NM law IS confusing on this....

Within the law on licensing of location that sell beer/wine/ or hard liquor is the part that specifies...

For locations LICENSED to sell beer or wine for OFF SITE consumption or locations that sell beer or wine but nothing stronger for ON SITE consumption you must carry CONCEALED! It is a 4th degree felony to OC within these types of establishments. It would include most any gas station/convenience store or places like walmart/target/grocery stores.

For a BAR or any location that sells stuff harder than beer or wine IT IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY IN ANY MANNER and they must post a sign stating this conspicuously near the entrance.

The above are not quotes but are my understanding of NM law on this... don't worry though, I've been caught on this too but I don't have Utube video out there documenting my error!

KBCraig

And if you're stunned by this stupidity, please realize that it's a recent development that you could carry at all, even licensed concealed, at any place that sold alcohol. Before that recent change to the law, you committed a felony in NM if you walked into a grocery store that sold beer, even if you didn't know they sold beer, while carrying concealed (with a license).

New Mexico is a great state, but they do not have the "great Southwest" attitude about liberty. They're especially hinky about alcohol.

AH.74

And if you're stunned by this stupidity,

What stupidity? The only stupidity I see in this thread is traveling without making oneself aware of the laws in other states. Oh yeah, that and thinking a wind screen will give you proper eye protection while riding a motorcycle.

She asks the locals, is told the truth, and says the locals are wrong. Where's the stupid?

The laws are clear and are easy to find. They are not confusing if you take a minute and educate yourself by reading them.

I did forget to mention- that marshal WAS wrong about the banks being off-limits. In that area there is no such restriction.

AH.74

The stupidity of the law itself.

I don't disagree with you about the rest.

While I would like to have complete "restaurant carry", the law is what it is. At least we can carry with a license into some establishments. Some other states still don't even allow that.

What gets me is when people come in here and complain about the laws being confusing. They're really not, if people would just read them instead of give them a glance and say they are unclear.

And as far as your comment about attitude and liberty, get away from the populated areas and you'll find things are a lot different.

ManInBlack

I guess I should have said the NM is the "Old West", just with a Bible Belt attitude toward alcohol. That's really what I meant.

LOL

I see where you're coming from, but they do sell hard alcohol in gas stations. Outside of Louisiana, California, and a few other states, that's considered downright wild!!!

:monkey

ETA: I moved here to Idaho from Louisiana. Here in ID we can only buy liquor from a state-owned store, with crappy hours, pricing, and selection. WA finally voted out state control, but liquor will only be sold in stores bigger than 10,000 sq. ft.

It's amazing how some places truly retain a puritanical attitude toward alcohol.

Last edited:

OC for ME

<snip> ETA: I move here to Idaho from Louisiana. Here in ID we can only buy liquor from a state-owned store, with crappy hours, pricing, and selection. <snip>
That is not due to a puritanical attitude it is about money. The government wants all the money regarding the booze supply chain.

ManInBlack

That is not due to a puritanical attitude it is about money. The government wants all the money regarding the booze supply chain.

Agreed; that is the true objective. However, to sell it to the public, they use glossy brochures (paid for by taxpayers) to propagandize their gospel: "Alcohol control states do not suffer the same negative effects from the sale of alcohol as other states. We have less underage drinking, DUI fatalities, etc., etc."

I'm sure it's a load of hooey; unfortunately, there are plenty of simple minds who buy it.

OC for ME

Agreed; that is the true objective. However, to sell it to the public, they use glossy brochures (paid for by taxpayers) to propagandize their gospel: "Alcohol control states do not suffer the same negative effects from the sale of alcohol as other states. We have less underage drinking, DUI fatalities, etc., etc."

I'm sure it's a load of hooey; unfortunately, there are plenty of simple minds who buy it.
Ditto

TigerLily

While I would like to have complete "restaurant carry", the law is what it is. At least we can carry with a license into some establishments. Some other states still don't even allow that.

What gets me is when people come in here and complain about the laws being confusing. They're really not, if people would just read them instead of give them a glance and say they are unclear.

And as far as your comment about attitude and liberty, get away from the populated areas and you'll find things are a lot different.[/]

It's clear that New Mexicans shouldn't bother open carrying. Enjoy getting your permission slips - and getting your weapons confiscated when marshal law is declared.

TigerLily

Sorry, TL, but NM law IS confusing on this....

Within the law on licensing of location that sell beer/wine/ or hard liquor is the part that specifies...

For locations LICENSED to sell beer or wine for OFF SITE consumption or locations that sell beer or wine but nothing stronger for ON SITE consumption you must carry CONCEALED! It is a 4th degree felony to OC within these types of establishments. It would include most any gas station/convenience store or places like walmart/target/grocery stores.

For a BAR or any location that sells stuff harder than beer or wine IT IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY IN ANY MANNER and they must post a sign stating this conspicuously near the entrance.

The above are not quotes but are my understanding of NM law on this... don't worry though, I've been caught on this too but I don't have Utube video out there documenting my error!

Thanks JoeSparky.

TigerLily

And as far as your comment about attitude and liberty, get away from the populated areas and you'll find things are a lot different.

@Ah, while you appear to be grateful to carry at all in NM, I find any restriction to the 2a an abomination. I guess I should be "happy" I don't live in IL where the 2A "right" is DENIED.

The sooner you and your law-enabling mammas boys realize that the 2a is NOT A RIGHT, IT'S A PRIVILEGE, the sooner you'll realize that nothing short of in-your-face exposure of stupid laws is needed.

TravisNM

I guess I should be "happy" I don't live in IL where the 2A "right" is DENIED.
I actually agree with you on this one. I've said before that just because it's worse somewhere else doesn't mean we should accept the way it is here.

The sooner you and your law-enabling mammas boys realize that the 2a is NOT A RIGHT, IT'S A PRIVILEGE, the sooner you'll realize that nothing short of in-your-face exposure of stupid laws is needed.

I'm sure you're familiar with these passages...just in case though, I will cite them. The following is from our Declaration of Independence, popularly dated July 4, 1776.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

And then from http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html we have the second amendment. One of ten that were ratified December 15, 1791.
Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In conclusion, the "2a" is an unalienable right; a right with which we are endowed by our Creator and recognized by our U.S. Constitution. In those few black-and-white passages I do not see any inclusion of the word, "privilege". Since it is a right, not a privilege, I see no need for your looking-for-trouble-to-prove-a-point-and-make-the-news-by-harrasing-police-officers tactics. With that in mind I still say, "to each his/her own" and ask that nobody be upset with my choice to not walk the exact same path as they.

AH.74

@Ah, while you appear to be grateful to carry at all in NM, I find any restriction to the 2a an abomination. I guess I should be "happy" I don't live in IL where the 2A "right" is DENIED.

Nice try, lady. I follow the law, that's all.

At least I'm smart enough to check and know the laws of the states I'm travelling to. And at least I know enough not to accuse people of being wrong, when they're not.

Next.